[NFBMI-Talk] Youth Outreach Committee

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Sat Jan 11 21:38:03 UTC 2020

Hello,

I just posted the following to the NFB of Michigan Parents page on Facebook.
In addition to parents of blind children, we need some other members who
like to work cooperatively as a team and have a passion for creating
exciting and positive youth activities.  Helpful interests may include
outdoors, coding, electronics or music.  Bring your passions and help the
nfbmi create positive attitudes about blindness and a belief that blind
people can live the lives we want knowing that  blindness is not the barrier
between us and our dreams.

Here is the parents post:

Hello Parents!

There was a phone board meeting of the nfbmi board this past Thursday.
President Powell acted to reinvigorate our committees. A list of committees
will soon be posted with chairpersons.

I am the chair of the Youth Outreach Committee. At the moment, there is a
membership of 2 that I am aware of: me, as Chair, and Donna Posont as
Sense-sational Adventures in Summer Science (SASS) coordinator. As I imply,
above, these are the only folks I am aware of, but there may be others. If
you are a member of this committee, please contact me to let me know.

I am writing to invite, solicit, recruit or cajole a few parents of blind
youth to join. If we are to do our best to meet the needs of blind youth, we
need parents. Of course we also need youth. So, please consider signing up.
Be aware, that joining the committee will likely result in more than simply
attending meetings. We need active folks who will take on tasks and work
cooperatively with others to create exceptional opportunities which will
lead to our youth growing up to live the lives they choose and are confident
that blindness will not hold them back.

During the past few years we have been concentrating on sass as our major
focus. We have also partnered with the Michigan Bureau of Services for Blind
Persons (BSBP) and the University of Michigan to present an annual event to
acquaint blind youth and auto executives about the autonomous vehicle
industry and the capabilities of blind persons to have successful careers in
this fast-growing and cutting edge shift in our country's employment
landscape.

We would like to create some activities around tech. Coding and creating
things are of interest to many of the young folks we work with. We need
leaders who can help develop capacity in these areas. Yes, I am talking
about you.

In the past, we have traveled to the Mackinac Bridge for the annual Labor
Day Bridge walk. Everyone who participated had a great time and it was very
popular. We just need help to get it going, again. This is an empowering and
very fun activity. I would like to revitalize this event. It is a great way
for the public to see blind folks having fun and traveling independently.
There are many benefits to the Bridge Walk.

Certainly, there are an infinite number of possible things the NFB of
Michigan could do with our youth. Please bring your creative ideas and
energy and, together, we can make things happen.

Naturally, we have a mailing list. It is
"Michigan-Youth-Outreach at nfbnet.org" We will use this list to have
conversations about our work and to inform folks of events and activities.
Please go to nfb.org and sign up for the list. To contact me send email to
f.wurtzel at att.net.

Thank you very much for considering being a part of our efforts to create a
positive environment for our young people to grow and prosper.

Warmest Regards,

Fred