[NFBMI-Talk] Insight About Two New Virtual Dog Guides

Kane Brolin kbrolin65 at gmail.com
Thu May 13 14:50:56 UTC 2021

"Guide dog on wheels detects obstacles and traffic light signals" -
COOL BLIND TECH
https://coolblindtech.com/guide-dog-on-wheels-detects-obstacles-and-traffic-light-signals/

"Robotic Guide Dog Helps Visually Impaired People Even in Confined
Spaces | Science Times
https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/30909/20210428/robotic-guide-dog-robotics-visually-impaired.htm

I send these out for general interest purposes.

As for the two technologies I've mentioned just above, these are
neither created by the National Federation of the Blind, nor have they
been endorsed by the NFB as far as I know.  The leading takeaway here
is that the qualities that have brought together blind people and
guide animals over these many decades are now being built into robotic
dog guides that use artificial intelligence.

One hopes that developers have created these technologies in
partnership with actual blind people who have extensive experience in
working with guide animals.

It's worth keeping an eye on these developments.

Kind regards,

-Kane