[NFBMI-Talk] Fwd: Please Support The Automated Vehicles Amendment To The Endless Frontier Act

Kane Brolin kbrolin65 at gmail.com
Thu May 20 01:52:01 UTC 2021

Hi from your friend of just south of the border in Indiana.

Some of you might have seen that the NFB's Advocacy & Policy Office is
encouraging us to ask our senators to support a particular amendment
that was proposed for add-on to the Endless Frontier Act (S. 1260) which
was introduced earlier this year into the Commerce, Science,
Transportation Committee within the U.S. Senate.  While I don't see
clear-cut evidence of it, the NFB Home Office seems to think this bill
is about to reach the Senate Floor.  This amendment contains
provisions meant to ensure that disabled people (with a particular
focus on blind people) will not be discriminated against when it comes
to being licensed to drive in the coming world of self-driving
vehicles.  One of my Indiana-based U.S. Senators, a Republican named
Todd Young, was an early co-sponsor of S.1260 along with Chuck
Schumer, the Majority Leader Democrat from New York.  So this is truly
bipartisan legislation; but it looks as if Democrats are blocking the
addition of language that would benefit us in the blind community,
even though Democrats are branding themselves now as the party of
diversity, equity, and inclusion.

Senator Gary Peters, a Democrat from Michigan, serves on the committee
through which this Endless Frontier Act  had to pass before it becomes
eligible for debate and a vote on the Senate floor.  Undoubtedly,
Senator Peters has some influence on his fellow party members.  I
prevail on some of you in Michigan to contact Gary Peters and tell him
you want the provisions included in Endless Frontier Act language as
specified below.  His Website is at https://www.peters.senate.gov/.
His Washington, DC number is (202224-6221 ).  His Detroit office is
(313)226-6020.

See below for background.  The first message shown immediately below
is the advisory from NFBNet that encouraged us to contact our senators
earlier this week.  The second message I reproduce, further below, is
a response I got from one of Senator Young's staffers who makes the
argument that no Democratic support in Committee was forthcoming to
the amendment we want.

I welcome comments, updates, or corrections as anyone presents them.
I am a bit confused as to what the status of S.1260 actually is at
this moment and as to what are next steps.

I value all of you on this list, wish you the best of health, and
express a cordial hope of getting together with at least a few
in-person later this summer, as appropriate.

Thank you for your attention and friendship.  Let's go build the Federation.

Kind regards,

Kane Brolin
President, Michiana Chapter
National Federation of the Blind of Indiana
(574)386-8868 (mobile)