[Nfbofnc] budget

Tim Jones tmjnc2 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 17:38:53 UTC 2011

To all,

Well, as you have probably heard by now, there is a finalized budget for
2012-2013.  Governor Perdue vetoed the budget sent to her from the
legislators on Sunday, June 12, and as of June 15, for the first time in
North Carolina history, both the House and Senate voted to override Governor
Perdue’s veto.  I will summarize the effects of this budget for Services for
the Blind.

The final budget does not contain any consolidation of the three disability
agencies-Services for the Blind, Deaf and Hard of Hearing, and Vocational
Rehabilitation.  However, as you recall, Governor Perdue issued Executive
Order 85 in March, and in that Executive Order, she recommended the
consolidation of these three agencies.  The EO states that if the
legislators  do not take any action against the EO, this recommendation will
be effective July 2012.  Since the Legislators did not take any action in
their final budget, the EO is still enforce.  At present, the Directors of
each agency have met with our supervisor, Maria Spaulding, for preliminary
discussion on the merger recommendation.  No further action has been taken
at this time.

The budget reduces the Medical Eye Care program by $190,961 dollars
recurring (meaning this is a permanent reduction).  This program will be
funded yearly somewhere around $1.7 million.  Until we receive the certified
budget, services that are presently being provided in the MEC program will
continue.  The Medical Eye Care program is the only program for Services for
the Blind funded with all state dollars.

The Independent Living Services program is fully funded as it has been, but
$1 million was reduced from State appropriations but replaced with $1
million from other SSBG sources.  I requested clarification on this
reduction from Budget and Analysis and was informed that these replaced
dollars do not require a state dollar match leaving the program funded as it
has been.

The last bit of information on the budget has some uncertainty at this
time.  The Department of Health and Human services will have a reduction of
253 positions or a reduction up to $7 million dollars.  This reduction will
be shared throughout the Divisions.  At this time, I have no idea if we will
be asked for any reductions within our agency.  I only share that
information to let you know about this reduction in case you hear of others
speaking about it.  I want you to know that no positions have been
identified for this agency, and I anticipate using vacant positions if we
are asked for any reductions by the Department.

Finally, I will close by saying this has been a very unusual legislative
year.  At times, it was very stressful and a lot of uncertainty.  When I
compare our reductions to other Divisions, we actually came through this
year pretty well.  As I have stated and firmly believe, DSB is one of the
best agencies serving blind and visually impaired consumers across the
nation, and the specialized services provided by our highly trained and
qualified staff are matched by no one.  Keep up the great jobs each of you
are doing, and I appreciate all you do for DSB and me.

Eddie Weaver, CRC
Director
NC Services for the Blind
2601 Mail Service Center