[Nfbofnc] Why Do NC Guide Dog Users Need to Organize?

ncbootman at gmail.com ncbootman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 17:21:14 UTC 2014

Marion,

I support nondiscrimination against guide dog users as in the case of the
Mooresville podiatrist. If this person lives in that area, they are surely
aware of Camp Dogwood which is a camp for the blind. I would strongly
recommend them asking the Director Susan King to help educate the
podiatrist's staff if that is still needed as she is well aware of the laws
regarding guide dogs and is a recognized person in that community. This
sounds like an education issue and having a Guide Dog Association does not
eliminate that need.

I have not associated myself with the proposed Guide Dog User's group
because in all of the communications, there seems to be an attitude of
requiring change and seeing the handling of a guide dog as a problem in NC.
It strikes me as one more whining group of the blind. You mentioned the
"requirement" that guide dogs be registered in NC. That is not true. The
fact is that the website which promotes this action specifically says that
it is not a requirement. Further, the registration is for Service Dogs and
not just guide dogs as you state. Because this registration is a request, I
do not feel it infringes on my rights as a guide dog handler. If anything,
it gives me state level support and is a way to help me in the event that I
ever do have a problem. This is just like the medical insurance I also have
for myself. If my guide is discriminated against and said not to be a guide
dog, I have a credential which says the state recognizes them as a service
animal. If my dog ever becomes separated from me in some catastrophy, I have
one more way of potentially retrieving the dog if the collar is not lost and
someone sees that NC tag.  Furthermore, I have never encountered another
service dog handler who even knew this registration exists! My guide dog
school was happy to comply when I showed them the webpage and they did not
see it as a violation of my rights. They agreed with me that it gives me one
more level of protection IF I ever need it.

I have never had an access issue in NC but have in other states. I have
never heard of access issues by another handler with the exception of the VA
Hospital which is at the Federal level and that was with service dogs and
not guide dogs. Furthermore, I have never heard of negative guide dog
stories in the media. In terms of access, they have all been quite positive.

When the proposed NC Guide Dog Association shows me that they can do some
good and not just be a forum for stirring up or putting out fires where none
exist, I will gladly support the organization. I have not seen any positive
and needed communication at this point.

Greg Capps