[Nfbofnc] Cindy Bennett

Cindy Bennett via Nfbofnc nfbofnc at nfbnet.org
Wed May 14 18:10:40 UTC 2014

Hi,

Thank you for your kind words.

I am excited that the student division has held strong since I moved.
I read the minutes every month! And I am excited that Alan will be
representing NC as well!

Anyway, in the fall, I will start a Ph.D. program in the University of
Washington's Human Centered Design and Engineering program. It is a
multidisciplinary department combining the talents of computer
scientists, technology designers, information researchers, and social
scientists to collaborate for more human centered designs for
technology.

I have a background in psychology and was hired to assist a UW
computer science professor's graduate students with their user
research. His name is Richard Ladner, and he is active in writing
grants and funding disabled students studying STEM to attend
conferences and internships. Anyway, through the experience of helping
his students design and implement studies to evaluate their accessible
apps, I realized that I am passionate about technology design thus
marking the change in my career path.

I work on accessibility research currently, but I am interested in
transitioning to researching universal designs for educational
technologies like multimedia tools used to enhance classroom learning
and hopefully work with broader populations than technology designs
for blind people.

I am excited to attend the convention as a scholarship winner. I hope
to connect with NC. I will try to make it to the caucuss, so please
post the info when you know! I'd also love to meet for lunch or
dinner. I know my schedule will be crazy, but I really want to see you
guys if I can!

Cindy