[Nfbofnc] a few questions

Ellen Bartlett starry10286 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 21:56:31 UTC 2015

Hello North Carolinians,

My name is Ellen, and I'm from Syracuse, New York. I recently visited
Charlotte, NC and am seriously considering moving down there (more
sun, less snow, and all that. grin) I have a few questions for you
all, mostly about Charlotte, if you know, and/or what the state can
offer:

1. SSI/health insurance options: I am self-employed, and for the
moment I am also receiving SSI, with health insurance through Fidelis
(some connection with state Medicaid that I don't totally have a grasp
on). Are there similar health insurance options to this in NC?
2. Housing: I currently live in a subsidized apartment (lower than
typical rent) and would be interested in finding out about similar
places in the Charlotte area.
3. Transportation: Walkability is a big part of why I want to
move--where I currently live has no sidewalks at all (or much of
anywhere to go), and I love the idea of being to walk to the grocery
store, bank, church, etc. from home. While in Charlotte, I did ride
the LYNX commuter train one afternoon, but was not able to try out the
buses, though I know they exist. I'd be interested to here from anyone
who has regular experience with the buses: how regular are they, are
there any special bus passes available. Also, in Syracuse, we have
Call-a-bus, where I can call a couple days in advance and schedule a
ride (does not work for next day or spur of the moment situations
though). Does Charlotte have anything similar to this?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me!

Take care,
Ellen Bartlett