[Nfbofnc] My introduction

Christopher Gilland clgilland07 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 00:21:17 UTC 2018

Hello to all NFB list subscribers. My name is Christopher Gilland,
although I prefer being called Chris. (Just don't call me, "Hey you!")
LOL! Just kidding.

But in all seriousness, I've been a lerker on this list now for a time,
but really haven't said anything until now, as I wanted to get a better
feel for what this list offered as far as content and such goes.

Today, my best friend who lives with me, and myself, attended our very
first NFB chapter meeting in Mecklenburg County. (Charlotte NC.) We
actually live south of Charlotte in Waxhaw, (Union County,) but there is
no chapter there as of yet.

I am 36 years old at time of writing this message, (for acchival
purposes,) and have been blind all my life from a fairly rare disorder
called Aneridia. More information can be found on Wikipedia, or by visiting

http://www.aneridia.org

Also today, I paid my dues, and now am an official NFB member, which I'm
extremely excited about!

I am a cane user, although I'm thinking down the line about getting a
guidedog, although nothing is yet set in stone on that front by any means.

My favorite interests include anything related to technology, A.T or
not, playing/listening to music, mainly country, oldies, bluegrass, a
bit of folk here and there, and pretty much primarily anything
contemporary christian or praise and worship. I also enjoy anything
religious ministry related.

I love reading, and am a huge advocate for both Bookshare, as well as
the NLS Bard program.

Sometimes, I even enjoy creative writing.

I am a braille reader, although I definitely need a lot of work. I'm
trying to find resources to learn UEB, as I am more familiar by far with
the traditional trade 2.

I have a few braille notetakers with a braille display, like the Pac
Mate Omni 20, and also the Braille Sense Onhand.

Anyway, it is such a pleasure to be here, and even more so, to be a part
of such a wonderful family/community of people in this organization. I
genuinely look forward to meeting new friends, and
conversing/contributing in many ways yet to come.

Have a fantastic rest of your day, and God bless!

Cordially,

Christopher Gilland.