[Nfbv-announce] NFB Vigilant - Summer 2009

lpovinelli lpovinelli at aol.com
Tue Aug 18 21:16:52 UTC 2009

NFB Vigilant - Summer 2009 is attached and below.

NFB Vigilant
“Voice of Virginia’s Blind”
In this Issue
* 3000 Pages Read
• How Many Children in America Are Not Taught to Read
• Winchester Chapter Gives CCTV to Clarke County Library
• State Convention
• The Diabetic Division Update
• The Landlords Went for a Visit
• Chapter Roll Call
• Dr. Harold Snider and Peggy Ann Curry Remembered
• Vigilant Report
• How You Can Assist Us
• State Officers
• Vigilant Production Staff
• NFBV Calendar of Events
3000 Pages Read
Ashleah Chamberlain was one of Virginia’s 2009 Braille Readers are Leaders award winners reading over 3000 pages. She is a 10 year old student at McSwain Elementary School and has finished the third grade. On Friday May 29, 2009 Sandy Halverson presented Ashleah’s award.
Pictures of the presentation are included in this edition.
Ashleah Chamberlain receiving award from Sandy Halverson at
1 ceremony. Sandy Halverson and other NFB members at
Ashleah’s award ceremony
How Many Children in America Are Not Taught to Read
By Marc Maurer, NFB President
The answer is 90 percent if the children are blind. Most Americans are shocked to hear this
statistic. And we should be. The blind read and write using Braille, so why is our educational
system failing to teach Braille to so many children? Why are these children being denied the opportunities
that come with a proper education? What if you could not read and write? Where
would you be today?
There are three primary reasons for this educational crisis: (1) there are not enough Braille
Continued on Page 2 1
Page 2 NFB Vigilant Spring 2009
Winchester Chapter Gives Closed Circuit Television to
Clarke County Library
By Kate Parker, Developmental Officer, Handley Regional Library
Handley Regional Library announces that the Winchester Chapter of the National Federation
of the Blind (NFB) has generously donated a closed circuit television (CCTV) unit to
Handley Regional Library. It is located in the study room in Clarke County Library at 101
Chalmers Court in Berryville, VA.
This piece of equipment is designed for people with low vision. Any printed material, text or
graphics, appears enlarged on the TV screen when it is placed under the camera. This machine
will allow patrons with low vision to examine everything from library resources, e.g., books,
magazines, and even CD cases or letters and bills brought from home.
While the CCTV unit is provided for people with low vision, there are no restrictions on
who uses it. Anyone who wants to examine anything with magnification is free to work with it.
Members of the Winchester Chapter are glad the library is providing space in the study room for
this machine. They feel it will be of great benefit to the citizens of Clarke County.
How Many Children in America Are Not Taught to Read Continued from page 1
teachers; (2) some teachers of blind children have not received enough training; and (3) many
educators do not think Braille instruction is even necessary.
To bring critically-needed attention to this educational crisis, the United States Congress
authorized the minting of the 2009 Louis Braille Bicentennial Silver Dollar with a portion of the
sale of each coin going toward a revolutionary and comprehensive Braille literacy campaign.
Learning to read and write is fundamental to education, which in turn is paramount to full
and equal participation in American society. This coin, the first U.S. coin to have proper tactile
Braille, symbolizes independence, opportunity, and the potential of blind people to make significant
contributions to society when they are taught to read and write using Braille. To learn
more, read our report The Braille Literacy Crisis in America, or watch our video Making Change
with a Dollar.
Please purchase this unique and beautiful coin now and help solve this educational crisis for
blind children in America.
The law authorizing this 2009 silver dollar requires that any coins not sold by midnight on
December 31, 2009, be melted down. Time is of the essence--a 90 percent illiteracy rate is not
acceptable and the opportunity to purchase this coin will soon be gone.
Be part of the solution. Give the gift of literacy. Create new opportunities. Buy the Louis
Braille Bicentennial Silver Dollar today. Coins can be purchased online at
www.catalog.usmint.gov and select commemorative products.
NFB Vigilant Spring 2009 Page 3
State Convention
Our State Convention is approaching fast!
The 2009 NFB of Virginia Convention will be held November 13-15 (Friday-Sunday) at:
Williamsburg Hospitality House, 415 Richmond Road, Williamsburg, Virginia 23185
Hotel rooms can be reserved at the convention rate of $65 plus tax by telephone 757-229-4020.
For further information contact Corlis Jones, Greater Williamsburg Chapter President at 757-
565-1185 or email cmjones153 at verizon.net or our State President Dr. Fred Schroeder 703-319-
9226 or fschroeder at sks.com.
The Diabetic Division Update
By Naomi Gomes-Vandevander
Virginia State Convention - The Diabetic Division
Make your plans now! Join us in Williamsburg, Virginia.
Put Your Best Foot Forward.
The Diabetic Luncheon is going to be outstanding. We are having a guest speaker. She will be
discussing diabetes and the effect on your feet. Stay tuned to www.nfbv.org find out more about
this exciting and enthusiastic speaker. It promises to be an exciting and fun filled discussion.
Make your plans now to attend and bring a friend. We are looking for the best turn out ever.
See you there!
You may contact Bill Parker, e-mail: cowboys2277041 at yahoo, or Naomi Vandevander, e-mail:
ngomes8101 at aol.com or cell phone 703-593-6407 for more information.
The Landlords Went for a Visit
By Joe Hobson
It was a glorious late April spring weekend of perfect weather outside. It was just as glorious
a time inside for the attendees enjoying, learning and sharing in the convenience and comfort of
the impressive venue of the national headquarters of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB)
in Baltimore, Maryland.
An idea originally initiated by the Potomac Chapter was expanded into an invitation to all
chapters affiliate-wide for a visitation to the NFB headquarters. Virginians came to see, be seen,
to be heard, to listen, to question, to learn, to network, to share experiences, tell “their” individual
and collective stories and, yes even to shop!
Where does one begin?!
Continued on Page 4 1
Page 4 NFB Vigilant Spring 2009
Continued on Page 5 1
The Landlords Went for a Visit Continued from page 3
The weekend of Saturday-Sunday, April 25-26, 2009 was designated as the NFB Virginia
Affiliate weekend hosted at the national headquarters and facilities of the National Federation
of the Blind. It was a multi-faceted audience of age groups. The majority of participants were
adults, and there were also attending several teenagers and children amongst the attendees, adding
a nice family element to the event.
Forty eight people exhibiting enthusiasm and excitement some awe-struck first time visitors
and others of a longer experienced pedigree attended from throughout the Commonwealth of
Virginia. There were representatives attending and participating from eight chapters, including
Potomac, Fairfax, Springfield, Fredericksburg, Eastern Shore, Peninsula, Richmond, and the
newly-formed chapter in Warrenton. The Potomac Chapter logged-in with the largest group
attendance with 19 strong.
>From the moment all gathered in our first convocation, the theme was reiterated and one
could sense the echo of the earlier issued wording in the event invitation that every NFB member
contributes to the success of our mission. Our National Headquarters is owned by the membership,
and it was a great way to experience the National Center for themselves.
These special events nor any other organizational endeavor does not just happen. We owe
our appreciation to Potomac chapter recording secretary Sandy Halverson for her leadership and
the dedicated efforts, time, and attention to details and logistics necessary to organize the weekend
event. Sandy in consultation with other leadership, members at large and NFB national
staff coordinated the educational and training agenda, presenters, and overall schedule. She also
organized the accommodation arrangements, and ensured that chapters that had participants attending
had transportation coordinated through their respective chapters.
What resulted was a full agenda of stimulating programs informational tours, networking
and social activities. Virginians arrived at the National Center leisurely before lunch on Saturday,
April 25. After registration formalities/orientation and accommodation assignments (it was
rather like follow the maze of halls around and around, turn left, turn right, upstairs, downstairs,
key in the code and good luck) then everyone gathered for a delicious lunch. This was the first
chance for some casual chats, hello to friends, and making new acquaintances. The meal functions
throughout offered a variety of choices and were hosted at the National Center's newly renovated
kitchen and banquet facilities. A dessert “social” followed the Saturday evening banquet.
To wrap up the day and evening on a hospitable note, a “blanket invitation” was extended to
all by Charlie and Jacqueline Brown for a fun time of casual fellowship hosted in their quarters.
After the riggers of the busy schedule, it was nice to relax in a casual environment, to enjoy a
beverage or two, get to know people even better, discuss matters of mutual interest, share a few
laughs and stories.
Highlights of the Saturday and Sunday weekend in order of the schedule included:
· The official welcome to the Center and general overview of the weekend program extended
by Joanne Wilson, Executive Director, Affiliate Action, Jernigan Institute. Comments were also
NFB Vigilant Spring 2009 Page 5
The Landlords Went for a Visit Continued from page 4
offered by Event Coordinator, Sandy Halverson to welcome fellow members and the guests.
What would we have done without the stage presence of Charlie Brown for his assistance front
and center and switching gears throughout the sessions navigating the audience microphone?
· Potomac Chapter President, Tracy Soforenko speaking on behalf of the Affiliate and the
event, also offered a warm welcome to the assembled group, and then initiated a “roundrobin” of
attendee self introductions, requesting that each attendee provide a brief background on themselves
and reason for attending the weekend.
· An interactive audience participatory session on affiliate programs, membership solicitation
and retention, and membership incentives was conducted and led by Rosy Carranza and Jason
Ewell, both of Affiliate Action staff NFB. Attendees actually participated in small group breakouts
to make telephone calls to prospects or those who have contacted the NFB for information.
· A tour of the National Center and the Jernigan Institute, including the library and the “Wall
of Honor” displaying the names of those who contributed to the Center.
· Question & Answer Discussion & Tour with staff of the International Braille and Technology
Center.
· Tour and shopping opportunity at the NFB Independence Market.
· A very helpful 5-point message on advocacy was presented by Dan Fry, Associate Editor,
NFB Braille Monitor. This presentation provided attendees an interesting insight into affirmative
advocacy, legislative initiatives, and similar activities applicable when representing the NFB,
local and state chapters and individuals.
· Renee Wes, Director of the NFB NewsLine, presented an overview of the program and update
on its latest feature, NFB NewsLine In Your Pocket. The presentation once again reiterated
this unique periodical/publication service offered by and through the NFB.
· Karen Zakhnini presented a video on the upcoming July 2009 Youth Slam to be hosted and
held at the University of Maryland. Ms. Zakhnini announced that the permits have been approved
and obtained for a ceremony on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and a march on the
National Mall in Washington DC to be held in conjunction with the 2009 Youth Slam. Ms.
Zakhnini also reviewed the NFB youth programming and mentor opportunities.
· Mark Roane, Fredericksburg Chapter, reminded the attendees of the upcoming National
Convention in July in Detroit, Michigan, and the Virginia Affiliate State Convention, in November
2009, in Williamsburg, Virginia.
· In conclusion, Tracy Soforenko conducted an open discussion with audience participation
wherein attendees were invited to offer their impressions of what they had received from the
weekend event, and/or other observations. This session provided a fitting conclusion to the twoday
event of programming.
A sincere thanks is extended to all who attended and participated, as well as to those who organized,
planned, executed the event, and to all the NFB team! To reiterate, every NFB member
contributes to the success of our mission. The Virginia landlords have decided to extend their
lease!
Page 6 NFB Vigilant Spring 2009
Continued on Page 7 1
Chapter Roll Call
Peninsula Chapter - Uricka Harrison
Greetings from the Peninsula chapter. A chapter striving for excellence.
Our next meeting will be held on Saturday, August 8, 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. If you would like
to eat come at 12:00 p.m. we will be at Angelo’s Steak and Pancake House 755 J Clyde Morris
Blvd., Newport News. We will be having a special guest, a representative from Department for
the Blind and Vision Impaired to speak about the services they offer and also about employment
opportunities.
Come join us at our chapter’s annual cookout Saturday, September 12, 2:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m.
at Briarfield Park in Hampton. For further information contact Vice President, Hardy Alexander
at 757-826-6661 or Uricka Harrison at 757-898-1781. We will be participating in Community
Fun Day at Ivy Farms Church of the Brethren on Saturday, September 19, 11:30 a.m.-4
p.m. at 681 Dresden Dr., Newport News in preparation of Meet the Blind Month. Saturday,
September 26, we will be traveling to the Eastern Shore to share in the celebration with Althea
P. Pittman’s 10th anniversary of Eastern Shore Center for Independent Living and also the open
house of AP’s Freedom Apartments. We will be securing transportation for the trip, for further
information contact President Andre Tynes at 757-594-6111.
Blue Ridge Chapter - Gwen Beavers
Happy summer to all from the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. If you're looking for a
pretty vacation spot, this is the place. Speaking of vacations, at our last local chapter meeting,
we discussed several possibilities in Virginia that wouldn't cost a great deal, and yet these would
be fun for the whole family. The Skyline Drive, located about 25 miles from Charlottesville, is
noted for having a beautiful view, and is excellent for those who enjoy hiking. Best of all, since
we are entering the warmest part of the summer, the temperature is from 10 to 15 degrees cooler
than in the cities of Charlottesville and Waynesboro. As part of their vacation, Henderson and
Gwen Beavers had the opportunity to go to the National Convention in Detroit. While there,
they also had the chance to participate in the March for Independence which was quite an experience.
The Beavers want to give special thanks to the members of the Blue Ridge Chapter for
their contribution of $500.00 to the Jernigan Institute.
In May, we had our annual picnic at the Jefferson Park Baptist Church with plenty of good
fellowship and lots of food.
In June, our driver, Bonnie Beach, took four chapter members, our president, Kathy Owen,
her husband Stuart, Mary Williams and Gary Morris, one of our newest members, to the annual
alumni weekend at the Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind.
At our August meeting, we plan to have another food auction to raise money for our transportation
fund. These auctions are always fun and filled with surprises. We all have the chance
to get good food at bargain prices.
Now we look forward to the state convention in November, and we hope to see each of you
there.
NFB Vigilant Spring 2009 Page 7
Continued on Page 8 1
Chapter Roll Call Continued from page 6
Potomac Chapter - Tracy Soforenko
The Potomac Chapter has continued an active agenda. As we
transitioned from the cold of winter, we have now moved proactively
even beyond spring and into summer and looking forward
to fall...which means even more activities, accomplishments and
fun! Like the glorious flowers of spring and the lush gardens and
vegetables of summer, the chapter activities and initiatives have
also flourished.
Growing from a chapter idea, we were pleased to initiate and
organize an affiliate wide visit to our National Center in Baltimore
on April 25-26. A special thanks to Potomac Chapter
member Sandy Halverson for her leadership to ensure the success
of this special event. The Potomac Chapter checked-in strong
with 19
member participants among a total of 49 attendees from
throughout the Commonwealth.
On May 9, we had 10 members attending and participating
in the NFBV state Board of Directors spring meeting, held in
Richmond. A great success was on May14! We celebrated at
a gala occasion with 38 members and guests attending at what
many consider to be our best annual banquet yet, which was
held at the trendy Front Page Restaurant in Arlington. A special
thanks to our Chapter Social Committee members Debby Everdale,
Mary Ann Kessler and Joann Rosfeld for not only the gala
banquet, but all their efforts throughout the year for our various
social activities and events.
At our June chapter meeting, we enthusiastically kicked-off
our new initiative for increased membership involvement and
rolled out revitalization of a chapter newsletter. Then, in mid-
June, a great time was enjoyed by 22 attending at the "High Tea"
event held at historic Green Spring Gardens in Alexandria.
Of course, July 3-8, we were well-represented at the 69th
NFB National Convention, held in Detroit. We had 11 members
in attendance, including from our chapter one of the three
McDonald Fellows and proudly our own two-time scholarship
winner thus designated a TenBrook Fellow, among the 90 Federationists
attending from Virginia. As always, a highlight of
Page 8 NFB Vigilant Spring 2009
Continued on Page 9 1
Chapter Roll Call Continued from page 7
the summer season was the well attended chapter's (40 plus members and guests) annual picnic,
again hosted poolside at the Arlington home of
Allen and Billie Ruth Schlank. A good time was had by all!
Per usual, the Potomac Chapter anticipates a good representation attending the quarterly
meeting of the NFBV Affiliate state Board of Directors, to be held August 15, in Richmond.
Also, later in August, the Potomac Chapter will be a participating exhibitor at the Arlington
County Fair. The event is the largest urban fair in the Nation.
Moving ahead into Fall, mark your calendar for October 18, for a fun time at a fund-raising
event, OctoberFest featuring Entertainment by Eric Schwarz on accordion and piano to be
hosted at the home of John and Sandy Halverson in Arlington. During October, the chapter
and members will be involved in Meet The Blind Month activities to share our positive philosophy
on blindness through public outreach activities.
Finally, we all are looking forward to another great State Affiliate Annual Convention November
13-15, to be held in historic Williamsburg.
Springfield Chapter - Joy Relton
The Greater Springfield Chapter is still on the move. Our meetings continue to be held on
the second Tuesday of the month, at the John Marshall Library at 6209 Rose Hill Drive. We
start at 6:30 p.m. and must be out by 8:00 p.m. Dinner is available so come with money to
contribute to the costs.
On Saturday October 17, we will be hosting a resource fair entitled High and Low-Tech
Solutions for People with Vision Loss. The fair will start with registration at 9:30 a.m. and end at
1:00 p.m. The event will be held at the Charles E. Beatley, Jr. Central Library, 5005 Duke Street,
Alexandria, VA 22304-2903. Phone: 703-519-5900.
We will discuss issues relating to problems and solutions with low vision technology. There will
also be an opportunity to examine the technology for individuals who may be loosing their vision.
Come one, come all, and join us!
Eastern Shore Chapter - Rick Holley
The 2009 NFB National Convention in Detroit was attended by three active chapter members:
Rick Holley, Abra Jacobs, and Althea P. Pittman; and two family members, Rick’s sister
Barbara McFadden from Richmond, VA and Rick’s son Jeff Holley from Cincinnati, OH. With
a fun, educational and action-filled week, it is difficult to single out those special times and
events. The first big event was the “Back to Basics” workshop which focused on building membership
and chapter development. While the theme of Braille continued throughout the week,
the presentation by Dr. Denise Robinson of Yakima, WA on Wednesday telling of her commitment
to provide Braille instruction to the blind students in Washington was outstanding. Jeff
NFB Vigilant Spring 2009 Page 9
Continued on Page 10 1
Chapter Roll Call Continued from page 8
was so impressed and mystified when he learned that many blind youth were not taught Braille
that he pledged to return home and investigate his own cities policy regarding Braille instruction.
Building on the Braille Readers Are Leaders theme, the ES of VA chapter sold ball caps
and Braille Button hats (hand crocheted) with Braille NFB adorning every hat. With only modest
success, the chapter will offer them for sale at the state convention with the addition of two
colors, pink for the ladies and denim for all. Two additional events which attracted our attention
were the Classic Car Show and the ‘Mock Trial’ put on by the National Association of Blind
Lawyers.
The March for Independence was a highlight of the week as the Eastern Shore Virginia team
finished a very proud 5th in fundraising in the team category. Spurred on by the commitment
of Althea to join the team next year, the Eastern Shore team has set a goal of finishing in the top
3 in 2010. The team is open to all.
A peek into the NFBV State Convention will show an exciting display of auction items collected
by Jane Gustafson (an ES member who resides in Williamsburg). The items were donated
by Jane’s knitting, spinning and weaving guilds as well as friends. The list includes a baby blanket,
a baby outfit, lady’s triangular shawl, lady’s cardigan and possibly cookies. Bring your checkbooks
and make the auction a fundraising success.
A farther peek into the future of the Eastern Shore finds Rick and Althea working with the
Virginia Space Flight Academy to develop a session for blind students in their summer camp program.
A single blind student attended this summer and the director would like to set aside a week
for the blind. Rick and the chapter are working to find the NFB resources to aid in establishing
the weeklong camp at Wallops Island, VA. More to come in future editions of the Vigilant...
Winchester Chapter - Jim Green
Greetings from Winchester.
Our Membership is in reasonably good health, considering our ages.
And contrary to some rumors that are circulating, we are active.
The Winchester Chapter of the NFB has donated a Closed Circuit Television to the newest
branch of the Handley Library, in Berryville, VA. We are working with the Public Relations
Department at the main Handley branch, to feature articles on the donation of the CCTV to
appear in the local newspapers. Meanwhile, we have contacted the Clarke County Lions Club
and the Senior Center to let them know about this resource. (See article within this issue).
We think this is not a bad showing, for folks who were recently accused of sitting around and
doing nothing (SMILE).
Tidewater Chapter - Stewart Prost
The Tidewater Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia has been busy
during the past few months. Here is what has been going on.
Page 10 NFB Vigilant Spring 2009
Continued on Page 11 1
Chapter Roll Call Continued from page 9
We have had two speakers come to our chapter meetings. We had the Community Relations
Director from Hampton Roads Transit come to our meeting. We also heard from a staff member
from the Norfolk Regional Office of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
(EEOC) at another chapter meeting.
We have had our elections recently, with the following slate of officers elected; Stewart Prost,
President, Zina Lewis, First-Vice President, Lori Bannon, Secretary, Michael Davis, Treasurer,
Deborah Prost & Renee Rogers, Board Members.
On March 26, the NFB launched the Louis Braille Commemorative Coin. One of the
speakers at the launch was Dr. Abraham Nemth, the creator of the Nemeth math code. Among
his many achievements, Dr. Nemeth organized two prayer books. Deborah and I went to
the Portsmouth United Religious School (PURS) and did a presentation for the students and
families on Braille, featuring Dr. Nemeth’s remarks. We also passed out Braille alphabet cards,
showed the coin itself, gave every student a card with their name in Braille, and information on
the Braille coin. As a result of our presentation, an article was written about our presentation in
one of the synagogue’s newsletters, which was placed online. We recently received a call from a
reporter from the Virginian Pilot, the local newspaper, asking for more information about the
NFB Braille Literacy campaign from the rabbi of that synagogue. We expect an article to come
out soon in the paper about the Braille coin. We plan to do this same presentation for other
Jewish religious schools in the area this fall during October, which is “Meet the Blind Month”.
I am pleased to report that we had seven members of our chapter attending the National
Convention in Detroit. I look forward to having as many or more attending both the state convention
in Williamsburg and our National Convention in Dallas.
In the future, we plan to have a speaker to discuss accessibility of the areas museums to blind
people. We are also planning to do more outreach activities for “Meet the Blind Month.” We
are indeed a chapter on the move.
Vigilant Report
The tape version of the Vigilant will no longer be available. Instead, the full text of the Vigilant
can be heard on NFB-NEWSLINE®. One reason for this change is that the time and expense
required to create each audio issue of the Vigilant are very costly. A second reason is that
many services that produce audio tapes are switching over to alternative formats because technology
is changing and that change does not include the continued use of audio tapes. There are
much better alternatives.
NFB-NEWSLINE® is a free service available to all Virginians. It is as close as your telephone
and enables you to read not only the NFBV Vigilant, but over 200 other publications from
around the country.
Page 11 NFB Vigilant Spring 2009
In Loving Memory
Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones
pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. ~Author Unknown
Taken from the Harrisonburg Record
Peggy Ann Curry, 79, a resident of Harrisonburg, died on April 11, 2009 at her home. She had
been ill for some time. She was born on April 30, 1929 in Harrisonburg and was the daughter
of the late Leonard and Elizabeth Mitchell Harris. Peggy lived her entire life in Harrisonburg
and graduated from the Lucy Simms School. She was past president of the local chapter
of National Federation for the Blind and worked for Friendship Industries until retiring in
1999. She was a member of the New Song Mennonite church. On January 11, 1949 she married
James Alfred “Billy” Curry, who preceded her in death on November 5, 1998. In addition
to her husband, she was preceded in death by three children, Ingrid Curry, Keith Curry, and
Naomi Thomas Curry, two brothers, Elwood and Henry Harris. Mrs. Curry is survived by two
sons, Ricardo and Chrystopher Curry both of Harrisonburg, one daughter, Pamela Curry Zens
of Broadway; one step-daughter Genoveva Shavers of Altlanta, GA, 19 grandchildren, 37 greatgrandchildren,
4 great-great grandchildren, and numerous nieces and nephews. She was the last
surviving member of her immediate family.
Taken from The Washington Post
On Friday, June 26, 2009 Dr. HAROLD WEXLER SNIDER of Rockville, MD passed away.
A beloved husband of Linda Snider; devoted father David Snider, Ellen Snider (Colvin) Underwood.
Also survived by three stepchildren, Rhonda (Joe) Ballew, Dr. Jennifer Rice and Timothy
Fossett; mother, Shirley Snider; sisters, Carolyn Snider and Marlene (Wayne) Myers; two grand
daughters, Violet Goens and Bryn Underwood; one step grandson, Trey Burger and former wife,
Gail Snider.
Vigilant Report Continued from page 10
If you are not already a NFB-NEWSLINE® subscriber, signing up is easy. If you have Internet
access, go to www.nfb.org, and follow the directions. You may also call toll free: 1-866-
504-7300. Having the Vigilant available on NFB-NEWSLINE® means that you will be able
to read each issue as soon as it is available. You will not have any more long delays while the
tapes are being manufactured. You will also get the great features that come with being an NFBNEWSLINE
® subscriber. For example, being able to select the reading voice you want, having
the ability to read the articles as fast or as slowly as you want, the ability to read word by word or
character by character; and best of all, NFB-NEWSLINE® IS FREE.
Don’t hesitate to sign up for NFB-NEWSLINE® now and begin receiving the Vigilant along
with hundreds of other state and national publications!
How You Can Assist Us
The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia is a nonprofit organization whose purpose is to
improve the lives of the blind through education and legislation. The NFBV is the blind speaking
for the blind. Assistance from those who share our mission is always welcome. If you can
offer time, material resources, or financial help, it would be greatly appreciated.
Another way to support the efforts of the NFB of Virginia is by means of bequests. Simply
include the following information in your will: "I give, devise, and bequeath unto National
Federation of the Blind of Virginia, 702 Prince Edward Str. Apt. 5, Fredericksburg, VA 23401, a
Virginia nonprofit corporation, the sum of $___ (or "___ percent of my net estate" or "The following
stocks and bonds:___") to be used for its worthy purposes on behalf of blind persons."
To learn of other ways in which you can support the organization, call Fred Schroeder, President,
NFBV, at (703) 319-9226.
Vigilant Staff: Chief Editor/Print Production, Althea P. Pittman; Staff: Kathryn R. Hall
Braille Production, Alan and Billie Ruth Schlank
Page 12 NFB Vigilant Spring 2009
NFB Vigilant
15018 Par Place
Melfa, VA 23401
Altheapittman at yahoo.com
(757) 414-0100 work
(757) 787-3853 home
State Officers
President, Fred Schroeder
First Vice President, Seville Allen
Second Vice President, Althea P. Pittman
State Treasurer, Mark Roane
Recording Secretary, Stewart Prost
Corresponding Secretary, Mary Durbin
FREE MATTER