[Nfbv-announce] A Message From Joanne Wilson

Fredric Schroeder fschroeder at sks.com
Thu Nov 19 03:24:25 UTC 2009

>From Joanne Wilson:

  Dear Colleagues,
  I have been working with Elnura Emilkanova from the country of
Kyrgyzstan who will be moving to Northern Virginia to begin
classes at George Mason University to become certified to teach
blind students.  She is being sponsored by the U.S.  State
Department IREX Program.
  Elnura has been a volunteer teacher of blind children for
several years.  She is sighted.  She works long hours in a bank,
then in the evenings heads to the school for the blind to teach
Braille and more.  What she wants is to get the best education
here in America learning the most progressive techniques for
teaching blind people and will take those skills back to her
country, Kyrgyzstan.
  During her stay here while attending George Mason University,
she is going to need a place to live that is within commuting
distance to the university.  Elnura would like to find a blind
woman to share a home with, or, a family with a blind child that
she could rent a room from.  She will need a place to live by the
middle of December.
  Living with a blind person will only enhance her education and
will broaden the understanding of how blind people live their
everyday lives.
  If anyone has a room, or an apartment that you would like to
share with Elnura, please contact her at or on her cell phone at
912-996-2606.
  I would be glad to serve as a reference for Elnura.  I can be
contacted at the NFB Headquarters in Baltimore at 410-659-9314
extension 2335, or by e-mail at .
  Thanks,
Joanne Wilson
Executive Director of Affiliate Action
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
410-659-9314 extension 2335
jwilson at nfb.org

P.S.  Have you invested in Braille literacy? Go to
www.braille.org and buy a Louis Braille Commemorative coin today!