[Nfbv-announce] NFB of Virginia Gives the Gift of Independence to Blind Children through Local Braille Training Program

Tracy Soforenko PotomacNFB at verizon.net
Tue Aug 3 13:08:04 UTC 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Tracy Soforenko
President, Potomac Chapter
(703) 635-2085
PotomacNFB at verizon.net

National Federation of the Blind of Virginia Gives the Gift of Independence
 to Blind Children through Local Braille Training Program

Arlington, Virginia (August 2, 2010): Local members of the National
Federation of the Blind (NFB) are sponsoring a two-week Braille training
program for blind children.  The Braille Enrichment through Literacy and
Learning (BELL) program is designed to provide blind children and children
with low vision ages four through twelve with two weeks of intense Braille
instruction via hands-on learning and fun.

The BELL program, which started on July 26 and is continuing through August
6, is being held at the Lyon Village Community House in Arlington, Virginia.
During the program, children will become acquainted with how useful Braille
can be as an alternative to reading print. Students will be immersed in
activities that will center on Braille literacy.  For example, children will
learn about the Braille code and will also learn several other alternative
nonvisual techniques for being organized. This will be accomplished through
a combination of arts and crafts, games, outdoor activities, and field
trips.

"We are raising a generation of functionally-illiterate blind children who
are unable to read or write as well as their peers because they don't have
the correct tools or training," said Dr. Fred Schroeder, president of the
National Federation of the Blind of Virginia and former commissioner of the
Rehabilitation Services Administration.  "Today, fewer than half of all
legally blind high school students will graduate.  Knowing and using Braille
can make the difference between a lifetime of dependence or getting a job."

Adults know the powerful connection between knowing Braille and employment.
With 70 percent of blind Americans unemployed, it is no accident that 90
percent of the employed blind know Braille.

In spite of the bleak employment statistics for the blind, only 10 percent
of blind children are currently learning Braille.  To combat the lack of
Braille training for our youth, the BELL program is led by a certified
teacher of the blind and a teacher of the blind in Virginia who are serving
as the core instruction team from the National Federation of the Blind
Jernigan Institute, along with the participation of positive blind role
models and local volunteers.

Theresa Willis from Virginia Beach, a blind parent of a blind student said:
"I have retinitis pigmentosa and have never read a book in my life.  I have
read a chapter but have given up after that because it was too hard with eye
strain and headaches.  I don't want that for my child and this program has
given her what our school district will not.  My daughter also has RP and if
she learns Braille, she won't come home from school crying at the end of the
day because her eyes are tired and she has headaches.  I want her to be able
to read books that I have never been able to."

Michael Fish, a teacher of blind students in Arlington said: "Many people
believe that students with any usable vision should not learn Braille. The
BELL program provides Braille instruction paired with a demonstration that
blind and low vision students can accomplish anything through the use of
alternative techniques.  The program has given parents networking
opportunities, support from blind role models, and a positive image of the
possibilities their children can achieve."

The program concludes on Friday, August 6, with an award ceremony honoring
the achievement of the students.

##