[Nfbv-announce] Vigilant Summer 2010

Fredric Schroeder fschroeder at sks.com
Tue Aug 3 20:42:59 UTC 2010

NFB Vigilant

Summer 2010
	“Voice of Virginia's Blind"

In This Issue:

•	From the President
•	Breaking the Information Barrier
•	NFB of Virginia Scholarship Committee
•	Who is Your Leader
•	Musings of a Blind Cook
•	2010 NFBV Convention
•	Chapter/Divisions Roll Call
•	NFBV Calendar of Events
•	Vigilant Report
•	How You Can Assist Us
•	State Officers
•	Vigilant Production Staff

>From the President
By:  Fred Schroeder

	We have just returned from Dallas and our 70th annual convention.  This year we had two national scholarship winners:  Chelsea Cook and C. J.  Fish.  Chelsea will be a freshman at Virginia Tech and C.J. is a graduate student.  C. J. was a second-time scholarship winner/tenBroek Fellow and was selected as the top scholarship winner this year.
	Also in our delegation were Jennifer Shields who represented Virginia again this year in the national Braille Challenge; and Kaily Christian who was the winner of this year's Jennifer Baker Braille reading award from the Federation.
	Those of us who attend the national convention each year find it to be a time of inspiration as well as an opportunity to learn about a wide-range of topics of interest to blind people.
	This year a good bit of the convention agenda was related to the education of blind children.  We have made great strides over the years, but blind children continue to face real barriers, particularly in relation to gaining literacy in Braille.  Dr.  Maurer has made reform of our nation's educational system for blind children a top priority.  With that in mind, we continue to develop new programs through our Jernigan Institute for blind children and youths.  In the coming months we will work on legislative changes at the state and national levels to strengthen educational services for blind children.
	In short, we continue to work toward full participation of blind people throughout society.  Please plan to attend the state board meeting in August and our affiliate convention in November.  Together we are changing what it means to be blind.

Breaking the Information Barrier
By: Susan Povinelli

	The major theme of the 2010 National Federation of the Blind (NFB) convention was increasing the blind’s access to information.  The barrier to rewarding education/training experiences and equal employment is the restriction to obtaining accurate information.  Blind people are restricted by improperly tagged websites; use of non searchable PDF documents; poorly designed software; non usability of touch screen devices; access denial to electronic books; repressing Braille literacy; high cost of adaptive equipment; and improperly interpreting environmental clues.
	Blind individuals obtain information from the internet and their electronic devices using screen reading software.  One of the barriers is locating the desired information effectively.  Blind persons spend a good amount of time narrowing thru links switching between frames, and scrolling pages to find the desired information.  One of the major screen reader manufacturers is Freedom Scientific.   They were showcasing the new features in JAWS 11 and JAWS 12 of their software.  One of the new features in JAWS 11 is the ability to develop a word index of a document.  This function provides a list of words, number of occurances, and link in the document where the word is found.  This allows a blind person to review documents for specific information more effectively.  Freedom Scientific developed a “research it” function that searches designated website and provides specific information more effectively.  For example, if you need the phone number of a business you can research using the “research it” function and it will display the required information on a virtual screen.  This function can be modified to capture information from company’s databases assuming the data is displayed in consistent manner.
	Poorly designed software applications can cause difficulties for the blind.  When Microsoft updated their Microsoft Access 2007 software they made some features no longer accessible to the blind.  One example of this poor accessibility design is creating a relationship design in Microsoft Access 2007.  Microsoft re-designed this window so you have to physically click on a field in a table and drag and drop it onto the field in the next table before a relationship could be formed.  The Access 2003 JAWS commands no longer work.  This relationship function is the key principal behind linking two tables.  The convention was a great forum to address software design issues.
	Many universities are using virtual classrooms.  The software used to submit homework, take test, read syllabus is not accessible to the blind.  Blackboard Learn software in its latest revision is now accessible.
	Today more and more text books are being published electronically.  Many colleges and universities have begun to offer their text books in electronic format.  Many electronic books are not accessible to the blind.  One of the reasons the books are not accessible is that many of the publishers and/or authors have denied the text to speech functions in their electronic books, thus the books cannot be read by a screen reader.   The second reason is the current electronic book readers such as Amazon Kindle and the Barnes and Noble NOOK do not have screen reader capacity and are not usable to the blind.
	KNFB Reading Technology Inc is developing standard free electronic book software that publishers can use to publish electronic E-books in a format accessible to the blind, but still have the look and feel of a real book for the sighted.  This software could be downloaded on the iPhone, laptop computers and other PDA devices.  This software is called BLEO E-book Reader and should be released in the near future.
	It can be costly to update current electronic devices such as cell phones to be totally accessible to the blind.  For example, you need to buy an additional $300 software package to make your cell phone accessible.  Apple was recognized for their effort for making commercial products that are accessible to the blind right out of the box.   All iPhones and Apple devices come with a screen reading program called Speak Over as a standard feature.  Even though Apple iPhone has a touch screen, it can be accessed by hand motions to activate the speak over commands.  It takes some time to learn the hand tapping and finger dragging techniques to activate the touch screen.  iPhone has close-circuit TV applications that change the I-phone into a 10X magnifier, allowing people with low vision to access information independently.  There are applications for the I-phone that can be used as a talking bar code reader which allows the iPhone to identify products, provides product information and cooking instructions.  Many agencies use bar codes to track documents through their organization.
	Dr. Ray Kurzweil provided an interesting presentation on his perspective of how future technology for the blind will benefit society as a whole.  In 1975 Ray Kurzweil invented the first multi-font optical character recognition (OCR) technology capable of converting printed characters into full-word synthetic speech and designs the first reading machine for the blind.  Personal computers were not readily available so the Kurzweil reading machine was a stand-alone unit with it’s own scanner and a built in computer.  The first reading machine was the size of a dishwasher.  Dr. Kurzweil partnered with the NFB to develop the Kurzweil NFB Reader, the first hand held optical reader for the blind.   Only a few years ago, the blind dream to have a hand held machine to read menu, classroom materials, and those hotel notices left on your bed independently.  Today KNFB Reader is the size of a cell phone.
	Obtaining and interpreting information from our surrounding environments can present a challenge to the blind.  Dr. Kurzweil stated that he is studying and overcoming this barrier by developing software that will be able to recognize objects and people.  This software then could be loaded on the KNFB Reader and carried anywhere to read a sign, identify a person, or building.  Dr. Dennis Hong, Director, Robotics and Mechanisms Laboratory Virginia Tech, provided an update on another NFB initiative to overcome the barriers of obtaining information from our environment.  The Blind Driver Challenge is developing and building interface technology that will allow a blind person to drive a car, not a car to drive the blind.   The challenge was to build a car with innovative interface technology to convey real time information about the driving conditions.  Such interfaces included vibration devices, vibrating gloves and vest for providing directions and the use of air-blowing devices to provide a three-dimensional mapping of items surrounding the car.  Using these devices the blind will obtain information regarding the environment around them which allow them to drive safely.  The prototype car will be unveiled at the Daytona 500 in January 2011.
	But as we all know, technology cannot replace good basic blindness skills such as effectively using adaptive equipment, learning Braille and cane travel.   The greatest barrier the blind face is society’s negative attitude about blindness. The NFB and its members know with the proper training, blindness becomes just another characteristic.  It was exciting to also learn at the convention that the NFB is partnering with the Veterans Administration to inform on rehabilitation programs for our wounded soldiers.  Dr. Col. Donald Gagliano, Executive Director, DOD, Department of Veterans Affairs, Vision Center of Excellent, stated that the bulk of today’s wounded soldiers are returning with head trauma which is causing vision loss.  We need to provide these brave warriors with a positive attitude about blindness and proper blindness skills so they can return back to the workforce.  We must also teach their new employers that these wounded warriors still can perform their company’s mission requirements by using alternative techniques.  These wounded warriors deserve the right to return to work and be a productive member of society.

NFB OF VIRGINIA SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE
By:  Corbb O’Connor
The NFBV will award up to three James F. Nelson, Jr. scholarships in the amount of $1,500 at the organization’s annual state convention to be held November 12-14, 2010 in Falls Church, Virginia.  The NFBV will cover the scholarship winners’ travel, hotel, food, and convention registration costs during the convention.

To be eligible for these awards, each applicant must:
•    be legally blind;
•    be a resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia or be attending school in the commonwealth;
•    be pursuing—or planning to pursue—a full-time, postsecondary course of study in the 2010-2011 academic year; and
•    participate in the entire NFBV state convention and in all scheduled scholarship program activities to be held November 12-14, 2010 in Falls Church, VA.

Winners of NFBV James F. Nelson, Jr. scholarships need not be members of the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia.  The Committee will consider applicants for all eligible scholarships with one application.  Individuals who have applied in previous years are encouraged to apply again.

The application will soon be available online at the NFBV website, www.nfbv.org.  If you are not able to download the application, please contact Scholarship Committee Chairman Corbb O'Connor via e-mail at corbbo at gmail.com or phone at (202) 684-6130.

The scholarship chairman must receive all documentation on or before September 17, 2010.  The Committee, consisting of successful blind college graduates, will review all applications and select the scholarship recipients.  The Committee will notify finalists by telephone on or before October 15, 2010.  All decisions of the Scholarship Committee are final.

Who is Your Leader?
By:  Stewart Prost

	During the 1970’s and 1980’s many Federationists experienced treatment of a demeaning manor, harassment, and, in some cases, arrest at the hands of airline personnel.  On Friday, July 9, while returning from our national convention, eight Federationsts experienced treatment reminiscent of those days at the hands of the flight crew of Delta flight 1322.
	We were traveling from Atlanta to Newport News.  There were eight of us, six blind and two sighted members.  When we boarded the plane, we were asked, who was our leader?  We explained that we did not have a leader, as it was coincidence that we were all on this particular flight.  Six of us happened to be sitting together.  Two flight attendants came up to us and again asked who was the leader of our group.  It was explained that they needed to know who was visually impaired.  Finally, Deborah joked and said that Marche` Daughtry was our leader.  Her mother, Zina, said that she might as well be our leader, as it was her birthday.  Marche` went on to order “her” subjects to take a nap, as that was what she planned to do.  The flight attendants went on to indicate that they needed to brief the visually impaired persons about the safety features of the aircraft.  Deborah and I were sitting in row 20, and we were told by one flight attendant that we had an emergency exit 14 rows in front of us, which would put the exit in row six.  The flight attendant corrected herself and indicated the she was referring to the front doors of the aircraft.  That flight attendant then was asked which rows had the emergency exits.  After she counted the rows, she indicated that they were in rows 25 and 26, which were the exits closest to where most of us were sitting.  In addition, one flight attendant complemented Deborah on the fact that she had her seat belt on.  They indicated that they needed to give each of us a briefing, as required by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).  When asked for the number of the regulation, they indicated that they did not know that information.
	The incident ended when we told the flight attendants that all that they needed to tell us was where the emergency exits were, and find out if anyone needed any additional information.  (It should be noted that all of us had flown before.)  One of the flight attendants asked how old Marche` was, and the whole incident ended.  They did announce Marche’s birthday over the plane’s PA system.
	It seems as if this flight crew seemed “nervous” over the “large” number of blind people on the plane (6 out of 125 passengers).  I should note that Deborah and I have flown on several Delta flights in the past year, and we have not experienced treatment such as this.  It just goes to show that you never know when ignorance will rear its ugly head.  Together, we were able to deal with the situation as a group with at least some humor, with the situation lasting just a few minutes.

Musings of a Blind Cook
By:  Rick Holley

Rick is back with his summer specialty, GAZPACHO, a cold Spanish tomato-based vegetable soup.  Again, Rick happened upon this recipe quite by chance.  Several years ago Rick and Pam decided to try the South Beach diet and ‘bingo’, there it was.  His first reaction was no way, soup is to be eaten hot and salads cold.  Gazpacho became the best of both for a summer delight.  Once again the recipe has been tweaked and you may also feel free to do likewise.  One alternative is to puree the final product but Rick doesn’t because he is the sole consumer.  Under the ingredients list there are other options.  The preparation time for this dish is not dependent on elevation above sea level.

Gazpacho Ingredients
Five basics:
1 onion chopped and diced
1 green bell pepper chopped and diced
1 cucumber sliced and chopped
3 celery stalks chopped
10 to 15 plum tomatoes quartered

Optional Vegetables (chopped):
Radish, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots

Sauce:
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 garlic clove minced
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
Tabasco sauce to taste
V-8 Juice (cover vegetables)

Procedure:
1.	Combine chopped vegetables in suitable container
2.	Prepare sauce and pour over vegetables Cook over low
3.	Puree (optional)
4.	Refrigerate overnight.
5.	Serve with crackers and iced tea

Enjoy!  The Blind Cook will share his signature dish, Italian Risotto, with you in the next issue.

National Federation of the Blind of Virginia State Convention

SAVE THE DATE & MARK YOUR CALENDAR: 52nd State Convention National Federation of the Blind of Virginia (NFBV):   You will want to be a part of the action!  Plans are well underway for the organization of what will rate as one of the best state conventions ever.  The 52nd State Convention will be held Friday, November 12, 2010 through Sunday, November 14, 2010, at the luxurious Four Star rated Marriott Fair View Park Hotel, 3111 Fair View Park Drive, Falls Church, 22042. Telephone: 703.849.9400, or 1.800.228.9290.

Explore the beauty and spacious venue of this hotel and its many amenities, including the relaxing pool, state of the art wellness center, the delights of the Ellipse Bar & Grill, glorious accommodations with incredible beds and upgraded linens, and complimentary shuttle service to the near-by Dunn Loring METRO Station.  View website at:  www.marriott.com/wasfp.

The Potomac Chapter will be the host chapter, but considerable interaction is anticipated by the other Northern Virginia chapters, including the Fairfax Chapter and the Greater Springfield chapter.  And, of course, the entire Affiliate, too, bringing together Virginians from throughout the Commonwealth, and our anticipated and invited guests from other geographical areas.

This announcement is intended to tempt you to act NOW!  Some details you will note are repeated and that is by design to emphasize their importance and for your timely action.  The convention will follow the traditional Friday through Sunday noon format of educational and business sessions, excellent presenters providing information on timely and priority issues, visits with exhibitors and vendor interaction, great networking and social opportunities.  And, added attractions, here is some exciting news -- there are several new innovative features that will be introduced this year.  Why wait any longer.  Go ahead and make your hotel reservations.  Additional information and specific details regarding registration procedures, registration fees, pre-registration advantages and applicable dates, transportation logistics, and programming and business meeting agenda will be announced, as finalized.  You may anticipate the usual excellence in educational, business, technical, networking, and exhibition experiences.

The NFBV discounted hotel room rate block is now open for reservations. Rooms are single/double $65 ++.  This is an incredible rate for this luxurious hotel in this unique location.  Also, be aware that Thursday, November 11 is Veterans Day, a national holiday.  The NFBV block is available starting for incoming Thursday, November 11 through limited departure Monday, November 15.  Reserve early to ensure availability and rate; the NFBV block expires Monday, October 18, and then rooms may only be obtainable per availability.  Important Note:  Be sure to indicate that you are a NFBV state convention attendee and request the special discounted NFBV rate.

Stay tuned for additional registration details and programming. But, MARK YOUR CALENDAR NOW to attend this exciting event a highlight of the NFBV year!

METHOD OF HOTEL RESERVATIONS
Reservations for the Event will be made by individual attendees directly with Marriott reservations at 1 (800) 228-9290 or by calling the hotel direct at (703) 849-9400.

GUARANTEED RESERVATIONS
All reservations must be accompanied by a first night room deposit or guaranteed with a major credit card.  Reminder: Reservations by attendees must be received on or before Monday, October 18, 2010.  Additional details will be announced regarding the advantages of state convention pre-registration.  Additionally, information will be posted to the NFBV website at: www.nfbv.org, and the pre-registration form will be available from the website to download, complete and return for processing.

Come help ensure another state convention success!!!
Be a part of the 21st Century NFBV gathering in Northern Virginia and in proximity to our Nation’s Capital, Washington DC.  METRO is readily accessible to the host hotel for travel around Northern Virginia and into Washington DC, as well as to utilize for transfer from bus, airports, and AMTRAK stations.  An exciting and timely agenda is planned along with fun social and networking events, and you are in proximity to many national and historic sites and monuments.  As mentioned, convention registration, and details on the schedule and program are now being developed and finalized and will be announced and distributed, as well as posted on the NFBV website www.nfbv.org where registration form can be reviewed and downloaded to print out, complete and return with applicable registration fees.

If you have questions or require additional information, contact Convention co-coordinators Michael Kasey at michaelgkasey at verizon.net and/or Joe Hobson at: joehobson at comcast.net.  So, do not let another day go by pick up the phone right now and make your hotel reservations and remember to take advantage of pre-registration package (as soon as announced).  Remember to mention when making hotel reservation that you are affiliated with and making your hotel reservation with and through the NFBV block.  See you in Falls Church in November!

Chapter/Division Roundup

Blue Ridge Chapter – By:  Gwen Beavers

	Greetings to everyone around Virginia.  This past spring and summer has been busy for the Blue Ridge Chapter.  In April we tried a new fund raiser, a spaghetti supper.  Thanks to assistance from all chapter members, especially Woody Berry and his family, we made nearly $200 which really was excellent for the first time.  Special thanks go to Woody's brother, Mitch, who fixed the delicious spaghetti, and to Suzanne and other family members who made wonderful pies for dessert.
 	We had a walkathon in May which went quite well, though not as well as the previous year due to illness of some of the members.  In June, our annual picnic was at the home of the Berry's. It was an outstanding event.  The fellowship, swimming, and abundance of food made this a delightful day.  However, the walk was fun, and the fellowship was excellent.  Scheduled for our July meeting, one topic of discussion will be the freedoms we have as blind persons due to the work of the NFB and also information on practical resources for blind persons.  In August, we not only will have a food auction to help raise funds for transportation, but we will also have an everybody's birthday party.  This will be complete with entertainment from the various groups of birthday folks from each month, and served with cake and ice cream as well.
 	Just last week, we were able to congratulate our chapter president, Kathy Owen, who, along with others in Charlottesville, was recognized by a local law firm, Allen and Allen, for her community service.  Kathy and her husband Stuart actively visit both nursing homes and hospitals, as well as participate in a recreation group for people with special needs sponsored by the City of Charlottesville.  Congratulations, Kathy!!
 	Until next time, we wish for each of you a glorious summer, and we look forward to seeing you at our state convention in November.

Fredericksburg Area chapter – By Michael Kasey, President

	Attending 2011 National Convention in Dallas were Cynthia Cross, Holly Frisch, Mark Roane, and Michael Kasey from historic Fredericksburg!
	Many experiences will be shared with our members in the coming months.  We hope to promote the education of teachers of the blind, follow up on legislative issues, and possibly drive a car in the spirit of what we learned in Dallas.
	This past June we visited the shops and restaurants to thank them for their continued support of our Chapter in the annual Walk with the Blind.  We hosted the Director of a new Mobility Options program in our area at the Chapter meeting in May.  On July 17th we participate in the 20 year celebration of the ADA with a table at an event in downtown Fredericksburg with other groups.
	We look forward to seeing folks at the Board meeting in August and at the state convention in Falls Church in November.

Potomac Chapter – By Tracey Soforenko, President

	In April, in an effort to provide opportunities for growth in chapter leadership positions, we reshuffled our chapter board. Officers and Board Members are: President – Tracy Soforenko (incumbent, re-elected); First Vice President – Sandy Halverson; Second Vice President – Tajuan Farmer; Treasurer – C.J. Fish; Recording Secretary – Nancy Yeager; Corresponding Secretary – Mary Ann Kessler (incumbent, re-elected); Board of Directors member – Debbie Everdale (incumbent, re-elected); Board of Directors Member – Joe Hobson; Board of Directors Members – Sue Povinelli.
	In May, the PCNFB was, as usual, well represented with ten members and one guest attending and participating at the May 9th meeting of the state affiliate Board of Directors held in Richmond.  The chapter hosted its annual banquet on May 13 with a gala event hosted at the Front Page Restaurant in Arlington.  Attended by 40 plus members and guests, the PCNFB was privileged to have NFB First Vice President and our NFBV President Dr. Fred Schroeder and “NFBV First Lady” Cathy Schroeder attending the event.  Dr. Schroeder presented remarks on behalf of the national and state organizations.  Dr. Schroeder then officially installed the chapter’s new 2010 - 2011 leadership team.  Re-elected Chapter President Tracy Soforenko provided motivational remarks and outlined his agenda for the forthcoming year.
	Our June meeting included a particularly interesting interactive and informative presentation and discussion on public transportation access, ADA particulars, and mobility and orientation, led by chapter member Brigid Dohert, Mobility Specialist, Office of ADA Services, METRO, Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA).  Attendees and Ms. Doherty had a most interesting exchange of information and shared personal experiences.
	In July, PCNFB member and chapter treasurer C. J. Fish was selected as a 2010 NFB Scholarship Winner, awarded to only 30 out of nearly 400 applicants. C. J. therefore gained the unique distinction designated as a tenBroek Fellow, a prestigious honor of a second scholarship granted to very few NFB scholarship winners.  Adding to the list of honors, C.J. also won the biggest scholarship in her NFB scholarship class this year.  She was selected as the winner of the top honor $12,000 Jernigan Scholarship.  CJ had the opportunity to address the entire convention at the banquet.  Her speech thanked the Federation, thanked her family, expressed the importance of a positive philosophy on blindness, and provided for a powerful closing to a great convention.  This is all just proof of what we in the Potomac Chapter already know that C. J. is a bright student, dedicated leader, and a skilled ambassador.  Additionally, PCNFB member Michael Fish was designated as one of the two 2010 NFBV McDonald Fellows, as well as a 2010 Jernigan National Convention Scholarship recipient.  Finally, PCNFB Board of Directors Member Joe Hobson was designated a Jernigan National Convention Scholarship recipient.  On behalf of the Potomac Chapter, congratulations to C. J. fish, Michael Fish, and Joe Hobson.  We're very proud of all of our PCNFB members recognized with these designations!
	In conclusion of the second quarter, we now are looking forward to the busy summer programs and events, and to the third quarter. Some highlights include the Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning Program (BELL), scheduled July 26 – August 6, to be hosted in Arlington, and sponsored by the NFB, the Jernigan Institute, the NFBV and the Virginia Parents of Blind Children.  A special thanks to Sandy Halverson, Michael Fish and Tracy Soforenko.  Additionally, we will participate in the Arlington County Fair in August.  The fair is the largest urban fair in America.

The Student Division – By:  Corbb O’Connor

NFB of Virginia Student Division
The students are planning to hold a set of youth and parent activities at our upcoming state convention in November.  We urge all parents and students who might be interested in the latest technology, lasting friendships, thoughtful discussions, and fun events to register for the convention.  Please notify Student Division President Corbb O'Connor know if you plan to attend.  He can be reached via e-mail at corbbo at gmail.com or phone at (202) 684-6130.

VIRGINIA PARENTS OF BLIND CHILDREN
By Andi Borum, President

	Congratulations to Kailey Christian, a 4th grader, who participated in the 2010 Braille Readers Are Leaders contest.  She was one of twelve winners receiving a trip to NFB National Convention in Dallas, Texas.  This year Virginia had 22 students who participated in the Braille Readers Are Leaders contest.  In addition, we would like to recognize the six adults who participated, especially the president of the Fredericksburg chapter, Michael Kasey!  Congratulations to all of them!
	The Junior Science Academy, a program of the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, offers young scientific explorers an opportunity to experience the excitement of science in a four-day session with hands-on experiences, tactile materials, and innovative non-visual teaching methods.  We would like to congratulate Alexander Wales, a 4th grader, for being accepted into the Junior Science Academy Program this year.
	In 2005, the NFB Affiliate Action Department, under the direction of Joanne Wilson, established the Parent Leadership Program.  In this program, the NFB provides the funding to conduct specialized training over a two-year period to a select group of potential parent leaders who have committed to helping establish or strengthen an NFB-affiliated parents division in their states.  At the national convention this year, Zina Lewis and Janet Shields were the parents who represented Virginia.  The PLP class attends and participates in special workshops at the NFB annual convention in July and the national seminar in Washington, D.C. in January.
	This year during the National Organization of Parents of Blind Children’s annual meeting held at NFB national convention in Dallas, Zina Lewis was nominated and elected to serve as an NOPBC board member.  NOPBC reaches out to parents to give vital support, encouragement, and information.  As a dedicated member of the NFB and someone who cares deeply about blind children, Zina is committed to donating her time so that she can give back to others some of the hope, inspiration, and knowledge that she has gained from the NOPBC and the NFB.   Congratulations!
	After its adoption by the NFB Jernigan Institute, the NFB BELL program was piloted in the summer of 2009. Two affiliates, Maryland and Georgia, hosted the program with great success.  This year, the NFB Jernigan Institute is pleased to announce the Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning (BELL) program for the summer of 2010 to three new affiliates; Virginia, Utah and Texas.  The goal of this program is to provide children ages 4-12 with two weeks of intense Braille instruction through fun, hands-on learning and activities. The program will target those children with low vision, who otherwise do not receive Braille instruction because of their residual vision.
	Support the Virginia Parents of Blind Children’s current fundraising efforts.  We are selling party dip and no-bake cheesecake mixes.  The goal of the fundraiser is to sponsor a first time parent and child to our 2010 Virginia state convention.  So, don’t forget to bring your wallets to the next NFBV board meeting, as the parents division will have the products available on a first-come first-serve basis!  Yummy!!

Vigilant Report

The tape version of the Vigilant will no longer be available. Instead, the full text of the Vigilant can be heard on NFB-NEWSLINE®.  One reason for this change is that the time and expense required to create each audio issue of the Vigilant are very costly.  A second reason is that many services that produce audio tapes are switching over to alternative formats because technology is changing and that change does not include the continued use of audio tapes.  There are much better alternatives.

NFB-NEWSLINE® is a free service available to all Virginians.  It is as close as your telephone and enables you to read not only the NFBV Vigilant, but over 200 other publications from around the country.

If you are not already a NFB-NEWSLINE® subscriber, signing up is easy.  If you have Internet access, go to www.nfb.org, and follow the directions.  You may also call toll free:  1-866-504-7300.  Having the Vigilant available on NFB-NEWSLINE® means that you will be able to read each issue as soon as it is available.  You will not have any more long delays while the tapes are being manufactured.  You will also get the great features that come with being an NFB-NEWSLINE® subscriber.  For example, being able to select the reading voice you want, having the ability to read the articles as fast or as slowly as you want, the ability to read word by word or character by character; and best of all, NFB-NEWSLINE® IS FREE.

Don’t hesitate to sign up for NFB-NEWSLINE® now and begin receiving the Vigilant along with hundreds of other state and national publications!

How You Can Assist Us

The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia is a nonprofit organization whose purpose is to improve the lives of the blind through education and legislation.  The NFBV is the blind speaking for the blind.  Assistance from those who share our mission is always welcome.  If you can offer time, material resources, or financial help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Another way to support the efforts of the NFB of Virginia is by means of bequests.  Simply include the following information in your will: "I give, devise, and bequeath unto National Federation of the Blind of Virginia, 702 Prince Edward Str. Apt. 5, Fredericksburg, VA 22401, a Virginia nonprofit corporation, the sum of $___ (or "___ percent of my net estate" or "The following stocks and bonds:___") to be used for its worthy purposes on behalf of blind persons."

To learn of other ways in which you can support the organization, call Fred Schroeder, President, NFBV, at (703) 319-9226.

State Officers
President, Fred Schroeder
First Vice President, Seville Allen
Second Vice President, Althea P. Pitman
State Treasurer, Mark Roane
Recording Secretary, Stewart Prost
Corresponding Secretary, Mary Durbin	Vigilant Staff
Chief Editor/Print Production, Althea P. Pittman
Staff, Kathryn R. Hall and Tiffany Wilson
Braille Production, Alan and
Billie Ruth Schlank

NFBV Calendar of Events:
•	Saturday – August 14, 2010 NFBV Board Meeting, 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. Department for the Blind Rehabilitation Training Center, Richmond, VA
•	 Friday, September 17, 2010 – NFBV James F. Nelson, Jr. scholarship applications due
•	Friday-Sunday, November NFBV Convention, Falls Church, VA