[Nfbv-announce] Good Opportunities to Connect with BrailleReaders and their Families

Fredric Schroeder fschroeder at sks.com
Sat Jan 16 14:14:56 UTC 2010

>From Mark Riccobono from our National Office:

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbaffiliatepresidents-bounces at nfbnet.org
[mailto:nfbaffiliatepresidents-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Riccobono,
Mark
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2010 8:45 AM
To: nfbaffiliatepresidents at nfbnet.org
Cc: Hartle, Mary Jo
Subject: [NFBAffiliatePresidents] Good Opportunities to Connect with
BrailleReaders and their Families

Dear Affiliate President,

Happy <http://www.brailleinstitute.org/regional_events>  New Year to all
of you!

I wanted to make sure that you were aware of the opportunities that
might be available to you through the Braille Challenge
(www.braillechallenge.org).  The Braille Challenge is a national
competition in Braille now entering its tenth year and administered by
the Braille Institute of America. In many ways the Braille Challenge is
a nice next step from our Braille Readers Are Leaders contest.  Last
year I visited the national Braille Challenge activities and they are
truly promoting excellence in Braille in a manner that would make us
proud.

Leading up to the national competition are a series of regional
competitions.  These events are a good opportunity for our affiliates to
get involved and connect with teachers and families.  This is also a
nice venue to get the word out about youth activities in your affiliate
or to help spark some new activities.  Below is the page listing the
regional activities that are currently scheduled around the country.
These are locally driven events so they list local contacts for you.  If
there is not a regional event in your area, you may want to consider
helping to spearhead one as a way to build new connections and promote
excellence in Braille.  While the Braille Challenge holds some great
opportunities for young Braille readers and for our affiliates to raise
awareness about the Federation, they are locally driven.  Therefore,
your relationship with the individuals/organizations currently involved
in the regional activities will impact how effective it might be in your
area.  If you decide to get involved, I would be interested in hearing
if it was effective for your affiliate and what you thought of the
challenge at the local level.

Regional Braille Challenge Events:
 http://www.brailleinstitute.org/regional_events

If you need ideas about how you might interact with the Braille
Challenge event in your area and build connections for the Federation, I
would be happy to speak with you further or members of the education
team in the Institute can fill your head with ideas.

Let's go for Braille,
Mark

Mark A. Riccobono, MSEd

Executive Director, Jernigan Institute