[Nfbv-announce] Senior Seminar at National Convention

Fredric Schroeder fschroeder at sks.com
Fri May 7 18:05:27 UTC 2010

The NFB Senior Division is pleased to make the following
announcement and we are seeking your assistance..
<?xml:namespace
prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /

There are more seniors who are blind and losing vision than
people
of any other age group.  The NFB offers them
opportunities.  Thirty-six of them will have the chance to
participate in a seminar Saturday in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1
ns
= "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Dallas from 9:30
2:30.  This seminar will fill up fast, so each state should send
in
recommendations for participants immediately.  Members of the
Senior
Division will teach basic cane travel, introduction to Braille,
learning about new devices, and tools and techniques for working
in
the kitchen.  In addition, all participants will have the
opportunity to get aquainted with both blind people who have
mastered the techniques of blindness and those who are now making
the adjustment.

There is no charge for the seminar, but participants will need to
pay for their own lunch, probably about five dollars.  We will
invite a balance group from the recommendations we receive,
choosing
from as many states as possible.  We are excited to be able to
offer
this opportunity for the first time at a national
convention.  States that have not already done so may wish to
take
some of the ideas back home and pass them along to even more
seniors
who are losing sight.

Whether or not seniors participate in the Seminar, all are
welcome
to come to the Seniors annual meeting Monday, July 5.

To apply for this seminar you should notify Judy Sanders at the
following e-maill address:

<mailto:Jsanders.nfb at comcast.net>Jsanders.nfb at comcast.net

Or call 612-375-1625.