[Nfbv-announce] NFB Vigilant, Spring 2010

Fredric Schroeder fschroeder at sks.com
Mon May 10 12:48:17 UTC 2010

NFB VIGILANT

NFB Vigilant

Spring 2010

“Voice of Virginia's Blind"

In This Issue:

Vvigilant

·  From the President

·  In Memory of our Friend Seville Allen

·  2010 McDonald Fellowships to National Convention

·  Guiding Eyes:  Equestrian Opportunities for Families

·  Musings of a Blind Cook

·  2010 National Convention

·  Cane Event at National Center

·  Prince William Chapter First Annual Low Vision Resource Fair

·  2010 NFBV Convention

·  New At Large Chapter

·  Chapter/Divisions Roll Call

·  NFBV Calendar of Events

·  Vigilant Report

·  How You Can Assist Us

·  State Officers

·  Vigilant Production Staff

>From the President

By:  Fred Schroeder

As most of you know, our dear friend and colleague Seville Allen passed away
on February 23, 2010, following a long illness.  Seville was a true role
model to all of us and her loss will be deeply felt for many years to come.

On Saturday, March 13, a memorial service was held to remember Seville and
to celebrate her life and many contributions.  Among those who spoke were
our national president, Dr. Marc Maurer and our immediate past president,
Charlie Brown.  I also spoke and wanted to share with you my thoughts and
reflections.  Here is what I said:

Today we are gathered together to celebrate Seville's life, and to say
goodbye to a remarkable woman and a cherished friend.

As you know, Seville was a trusted and effective leader in the National
Federation of the Blind.  She gave of herself freely and inspired others to
do the same.  She gave her time and energy, gave of her knowledge and
experience.  She was generous and helpful, kind and loving; but that did not
make her timid.  She was no shrinking violet.  In difficult times, you could
have no better ally than Seville and as those who had the misfortune to find
themselves on the wrong side of an issue quickly learned, no more formidable
opponent.

There are so many memories.  In her own way Seville was a very private
person.  She rarely spoke of her troubles or her health problems and sought
neither sympathy nor pity.  Indeed, excessive sympathy would have annoyed
her; and I suspect Seville is a little annoyed with me right now for being
maudlin.

When last I visited Seville, ill as she was, weak and in pain, her
personality was fully intact.  I remember a therapist stopping in and asking
if Seville wanted physical therapy.  Seville said “not today,” and the
therapist left.  I said that I did not realize that physical therapy was
optional in the hospital.  Without a moment’s hesitation, Seville replied,
“it is now.”

The author Robert Fulghum once wrote:

“Live a balanced life.  Learn some and think some and draw and paint and
sing and dance and play and work every day some.”

Seville did just that.  She lived a balanced life.  She played and worked,
learned and taught and made a lasting difference.  She was devoted to the
Federation and worked tirelessly to expand opportunities for blind people
everywhere.  She was open and approachable, and yet to me she always
remained somehow larger than life.  To me she was a dependable and wise
counselor: insightful and direct—at times a little too insightful for
comfort.  But most of all Seville was a true and loyal friend and I will
miss her deeply, more deeply than words can express.

In Loving Memory of Virginia’s First Vice President Seville Allen

Note from the Editor, Althea P. Pittman:  Seville was the person who always
conducted herself in a manner, that you knew that you would need her.  The
sole person beyond Charlie and Jackie Brown that I was instructed to get in
contact with once returning to Virginia from Baltimore, MD to live was
Seville.  I was told to get in touch with Seville, call Seville, ask
Seville, and I did, and she was the person to know.  Those of us who knew
Seville know exactly what I mean with love.  When I was told of Seville’s
passing and I thought of all that she meant to so many of us what c ame to
mind were the lyrics from Anne Murray’s song You Needed Me.

I cried a tear
You wiped it dry
I was confused
You cleared my mind
I sold my soul
You bought it back for me
And held me up and gave me dignity
Somehow you needed me.

You gave me strength
To stand alone again
To face the world
Out on my own again
You put me high upon a pedestal
So high that I could almost see eternity
You needed me
You needed me

And I can't believe it's you I can't believe it's true
I needed you and you were there
And I'll never leave, why should I leave
I'd be a fool
'Cause I've finally found someone who really cares

You held my hand
When it was cold
When I was lost
You took me home
You gave me hope
When I was at the end
And turned my life
Back into truth again

You even called me friend

We needed you

We needed you

In loving memory of our First Vice President Seville, who called us all
friend.

2010 McDonald Fellowships to National Convention
By:  Tracy Soforenko

This year, we will celebrate the 70th anniversary of the NFB in Dallas,
Texas.  The convention will be even better because you were there to attend.
Many of those who have attended our national NFB  convention are amazed at
how seeing, meeting, and interacting with over 3000  other blind and low
vision convention attendees has literally changed their  lives. They not
only experience how the problems of vision loss can be overcome, but they
also experience the confidence that can come with it.

The  McDonald Fellowship program was established in 1998 in order to: a)
assist those who have never attended a convention of the National Federation
of  the Blind (NFB) before, or b) financially assist those who have
demonstrated a  commitment to our organization and who are unable to afford
the costs of  attending a national convention.

Robert and Marian McDonald selflessly contributed to our Virginia affiliate
to further the progress and better the lives of those who are blind,
visually impaired, and low vision in Virginia. In their honor, we recognize
the personal benefits that come to people who attend a national convention
for the first time. In their memory, the National Federation of the Blind of
Virginia (NFBV) continues their le gacy of education and empowerment to
Virginia’s blind citizens.

This year the goal of the McDonald Fellowship program is to issue three
McDonald Fellowship awards each in the amount of $750.00. These funds will
be awarded to assist each fellowship recipient in covering the cost of
attending our 2010 NFB National Convention to be held in Dallas, Texas, the
week of July 3 through July 8. This event will take place at the Hilton
Anatole Hotel in Dallas, Texas.

We will link each of our fellowship winners up with mentors who will assist
them in getting the most out of their national convention experience.
Preference will be given to McDonald Fellowship applicants who have not
previously attended a national convention.

As part of the Fellowship application requirements, McDonald Fellowship
winners are asked to attend the entire NFB convention and write an article
about their experiences for the Vigilant (the newsletter of the National
Federation of the Blind of Virginia) upon their return from convention.
Winners will also have an opportunity to address our 2010 NFB of Virginia
state convention.

Deadline for applications for the McDonald Fellowship is April 15, 2010.
Winners will be announced May 15, 2010. We ask that applicants write a brief
letter of application outlining their reasons why they should be considered
for a Fellowship. Preference will be given to applications from: those who
have never attended a NFB National Convention before; those who have
demonstrated commitment to the NFBV organization by their participation in
either chapter or state activities over the past year; and by those
applicants who include pertinent supporting information that will help in
our selection process (e.g. letters of support from chapter presidents).

There is no specific format for the application.

E-mailed applications or questions about the Fellowship program should be
sent to Tracy Soforenko, Chairman, McD onald Fellowship Committee, by e-mail
at PotomacNFB at verizon.net or by phone at 703.635.2085.

Guiding Eyes:  Equestrian Opportunities for Families

By:  Jack Wood

Let me introduce myself.  I am Jack Wood, and I am totally blind.  I founded
a foundation that will allow blind and visually impaired children of all
ages to touch, pet, groom, and ride horses.  Even though I have been totally
blind since birth, I have been riding horses since I was 5 years old.  I
have subsequently through the years become a trainer of horses, offering
instruction, while at the same time, becoming an admirer of the horse as a
magnificent animal.  I believe the horse is one of the most incredible
animals and I believe that most visually impaired and totally blind people
have never had the opportunity to see how great th is animal is.  Through
the endeavors of the foundation, we are going to be able to bring families
to ride the horses.  We also hope to take blind and visually impaired
individuals on trail rides to enjoy nature, guiding the horse through the
woods and open areas.  We have a certified instructor who, along with me,
will work with you to insure that you have a safe experience.  If you, or
you know of others, who would like to participate in having a unique
equestrian experience, please call toll-free: 1-800-459-9635 or send an
email to bljack1 at earthlink.net.  We will be pleased to discuss the program
with you and all the advantages this special program may bring to you and
those you know.  There are no charges fo r participating in the Guiding Eyes
experience.  If transportation may be a concern, we may be able to assist
with that to help.  For additional information, please refer to our web site
www.jack-wood.com.

Guiding Eyes in located at 9503 Quail Pointe Lane Fairfax Station, VA 22039.

National Federation of the Blind of Virginia State Convention

By Michael Kasey

The 2010 NFBV Convention will be held in Falls Church

November 12-14, 2010

This may prove to be the most attended convention in our history!

It must be the largest hotel in our history:

Marriott Fairview Park

3111 Fairview Park Drive

 Falls Church, VA, 22042

(703) 849-9400

800 2289290

Room rate $65 per night (plus tax)

Rate available 1 day before and after these dates

Stay tuned for more information
make your reservations soon.

2010 National Convention

Taken from the Braille Monitor

This year the NFB National Convention will be Saturday, July 3 – Thursday,
July 8, 2010.  It will be at the Hilton Anatole Hotel, 2201 Stemmons
Freeway, Dallas Texas 75207.  To make reservations call (214) 761-7500.

Pre-registration is now open.  When purchased online before May 31, the
pre-registration fee for convention is $15 ($20 on site), the cost of a
banquet ticket is $40 ($45 on site), and the cost of the barbeque ticket is
$40 ($45 on site).  All sales are final.   Pre-registration will close on
May 31, so be sure to register soon.

The 2010 room rates are singles, doubles, and twins $62 and triples and
quads $67 a night plus 15 percent sales tax.  The hotel is accepting
reservations now.  A $60 per room deposit is required to make a reservation.
Only 50 percent of the deposit will be refunded if notice is given to the
hotel of a reservation cancellation before June 1, 2010.  The only 50
percent is not refundable.

Rooms will be available on a first come first serve basis.  Reservations may
be made before June 1, 2010 assuming that rooms are still available.  After
that time the hotel will not hold our block of rooms for the convention.  In
other words, you should get your reservations in soon.

Guestroom amenities include cable television, coffee pot, iron and ironing
board, hair dryer, and high speed internet access.  The Hilton Anatole has
several excellent restaurants and 24 hours a day room service.  It is near
downtown Dallas with shuttle service to both the Dallas/Fort Worth Airport
and Love Field.

Musings of a Blind Cook

By:  Rick Holley

First comes an introduction to the author and novice cook Richard (Rick)
Holley.  Rick has been losing sight for most of his 66 years, but it was
only after retiring 10 years ago that he has done much cooking.  He has
decided to provide the reader with a little background on each recipe that
he considers his most popular ones.  At a church bazaar Rick purchased a dry
bean soup mix thinking this can’t be too hard.  Enjoying it immensely Rick
decided to make his own and even made enough for many of his relatives for
Christmas.  Not only did his wife Pam like it, his father-in-law took the
leftover soup home with him and asked for the recipe.  He did fail to tell
me that he cut the spice level in half.  Rick also found out when visiting
his family that he would have to make the soup for each of them, which I did
and they enjoyed.  For other novice cooks, beware of trying to cook dried
beans at an elevation of 6000 feet, it takes much longer.

Ingredients:

2+ cups of dried beans (1/4 cup of 8 different beans or more)

1 ham bone with ‘ham’ on it (or equivalent)

1 onion diced

1 green pepper diced

1 can diced tomatoes (14.5oz.)

½ tsp cumin

½ tsp chili pepper

Salt and pepper to taste

Procedure:

1.     Soak beans overnight in excess water.  Rinse before cooking

2.     Cook over low heat with ham bone for 3 hours.

3.     Remove ham bone, returning ham to the pot.

4.     Add onion, green pepper, tomatoes and spices.

5.     Resume cooking over low heat checking the beans once an hour for
tenderness.  It should require another 2 hours at sea level.

6.     Serve with crackers or rice if desired.

Enjoy!  The Blind Cook will share his signature dish, Italian Risotto, with
you in the next issue.

2010 Cane Event at National Center

The National Federation of the Blind 2010 Cane Event

Saturday, May 1, 2010

6:30 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.

At the NFB Jernigan Institute

200 East Wells St. at Jernigan Place

Baltimore, Maryland

Join us for an evening featuring gambling tables, live and silent auctions,
food and drinks, music, dancing, raffles and more!

Proceeds from this event benefit the Imagination Fund.  This supports the
programs of the NFB Jernigan Institute, as well as our grassroots efforts
through our affiliates across the country.  Join us as we celebrate 70 years
of changing what it means to be blind for children and adults all over the
United States.

For more information, call (410) 659-9314, ext. 2312, email
bcordell at nbf.org, or visit www.thecaneevent.org.

Announcing the Prince William Low-Vision Resource Fair for Children and
Adults

By:  Jody Silverberg

The Prince William Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind is
hosting its first annual Low-Vision Resource Fair for Children and Adults on
Saturday, May 1, 2010, in the Cedar Run room of the McCoart Building located
at 1 County Complex Court, Woodbridge from 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m.

At the fair, attendees will have an opportunity to meet vendors representing
low and high-tech products for the visually impaired as well as learning
about other community resources for those with vision loss.

Jody Silverberg, President of the Prince William Chapter of the NFB said,
“One of the biggest problems we all have is finding the resources we need.
The resources are out there and this fair will bring everyone together”.
There are people and products out there that can help, and we invite anyone
with vision loss to come and find the solution that works best for them,”
Silverberg said.

One of the highlights of the fair will be a demonstration of NFB-NEWSLINE.
This free service is available to anyone who is unable to read the newspaper
and who has a phone or computer. With a NFB-NEWSLINE subscription, you can
have access to over 300 U.S. newspapers with the ease of a local phone call.

If you are unable to attend the fair but wish to be informed about future
events and programs, please contact Jody Silverberg at 703-730-1716.

The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia is a non-profit self- help
organization consisting of over 50,000 members and 700 chapters throughout
the 50 states. The NFB was organized by the blind to help the blind achieve
security, opportunity, and equality via education and advocacy.

New At Large Chapter

By:  Frederic Schroeder

The new At Large Chapter will meet by teleconference each month.  The goal
of the At Large Chapter is to reach people who, for whatever reason, cannot
participate in local chapter meetings.  The chapter will meet the 4th
Thursday of the month via teleconference from 8:00 to 9:00 p.m.  The first
meeting was held on March 25, 2010.  At each At Large Chapter meeting, we
will provide information about the state and national activities of the
Federation.  We will also discuss our philosophy about blindness and how it
applies to our day-to-day lives.  At our first meeting on March 25, we gave
a brief history of the Federation and talked about how the Federation has
expanded opportunities for blind people in Virginia and the nation.  Future
meetings will include presentations on programs like NewsLine (our dialup
newspaper service), summer youth programs, and legislative activities.

Dial in Number: 1-219-509-8111

Participant Access Code: 3613754

Any long distance charges are the caller’s responsibility.  Anyone is
welcome to participate in the At Large Chapter.  For more information
contact:  Fred Schroeder, President National Federation of the Blind of
Virginia at fschroeder at sks.com or (703)-319-9226.

Chapter/Division Roundup

Fredericksburg Area chapter – By Michael Kasey, President

Our Chapter has changed from one business meeting per month to a business
meeting (on the evening of the second Thursday of each month) and a Social
on the second Saturday morning of each month at a local restaurant from 10
A.M. to noon.  To promote our Annual Walk-a-thon, we are holding an outside
exhibit/demonstration on the campus of University of Mary Washington on
April 7.  We continue our relationship with the Lions Clubs by Mel Padgett,
a Chapter Board member, joining the Chancellor Lions’ Club.  At the Lions’
Winter Conference, Greg Moffitt and Britany Crone received Scholarships.  We
are participating in the Lions’ White Cane Day fund raiser at a local
supermarket in early April.  Here is our Walk-a-thon announcement and we
hope to see you all here!

Come Walk with the Blind in historic Fredericksburg, Virginia

The 8th annual Walk with the Blind will happen on April 17, 2010 starting 10
A.M at city dock in Fredericksburg.  Walkers that register will be eligible
for gift certificates from shops and restaurants on Caroline Street along
the walk. Register today, collect donations, then join us for a fun walk.
The walk is not more than two miles and most people end up visiting the
shops to use their gift certificate and joining friends for lunch at the
many restaurants.  Many historic attractions are on the walk route or
nearby.      Your needed donations are used to help promote the use of
Braille, scholarships for Blind students and to fund local state and
national programs for the Blind.  For more information contact Michael Kase
y at (540) 760-3885 or email  <mailto:michaelgkasey at verizon.net>
michaelgkasey at verizon.net

Blue Ridge Chapter – By:  Gwen Beavers

A big hello to everyone from the scenic Blue Ridge.  Now that spring is
almost here, we are planning many activities.  First, we need to say that we
have a new meeting place.  Because of transportation issues, we have decided
to meet at the Jefferson Park Baptist Church, 2505 Jefferson Park Avenue in
Charlottesville.  Also, at our board meeting Saturday, March 6th, we made
some interesting meeting plans for the future.  In April we will be
finalizing plans for a spaghetti supper to be held at Jefferson Park Baptist
Church from 6 to 8:00 P.M. Friday evening, April 23rd.  The tickets will be
five dollars each for all you can eat.  Besides Spaghetti, we will have
salad, bread, cookies and drinks.  How can you beat a deal like that?
Children under 6 eat free.  Also don ations will be gladly accepted.  Then
in May 1, we will plan to have our walkathon, May 15th if it rains.  We
invite all who wish to join us to come to the Monticello trail and walk with
us at 9:00 A.M.

In June, the 19th, we will have our annual picnic at the home of Woody Berry
where there will be plenty of food, swimming, and lots more fun and
fellowship.  In July, a program item will be to discuss some resources
available for blind people, and in August we will have an everyone’s
birthday party plus a food auction to raise money for our transportation
fund.  These auctions are always fun and filled with surprises and many good
bargains.  Kathy Owen is our auctioneer and does an excellent job.

Well, that is about all the news from this area.  If anyone is interested in
coming to our picnic or any of our other activities, please call Kathy Owen
at:  434-293-3556.  Kathy is our chapter president and can give you all the
information you need.

The Student Division – By:  Corbb O’Connor

The leaders of the NFBV Student Division have found themselves engrossed in
exams and keeping up with school. However, in the near future, we are hoping
to propose to the NFBV Board of Directors a Constitution for the Student
Division. Further, we hope to plan an event that will bring blind students
and their parents together for a few days to learn about blindness skills,
self-advocacy, and ... well ... to just have fun!

SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE: The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia
(NFBV) will award up to three James F. Nelson, Jr. scholarships in the
amount of $1,500 at the organization’s annual state convention to be held
November 12-14, 2010 in Falls Church, Virginia. The NFBV will cove r the
scholarship winners’ travel, hotel, food, and convention registration costs
at the convention. All scholarships will be awarded based on academic
excellence and community service.  Individuals who have applied in previous
years are encouraged to apply again.

The scholarship application will go live on May 3, 2010 on the NFBV web
site, at www.nfbv.org. If you wish to have the scholarship application
e-mailed to you, please contact Scholarship Committee Chairman Corbb
O'Connor at blindvirginia at gmail.com or via phone a t (202) 684-6130.

The scholarship committee, consisting of successful blind college graduates,
will review all applications and select the scholarship winners. Recipients
will be notified of their selection by telephone by October 15, 2010.  All
decisions of the scholarship committee are final.

Potomac Chapter – By Tracey Soforenko, President

The Potomac Chapter has initiated an aggressive 2010 agenda. This report
will cover our activities, events and initiatives for the three months of
the first quarter of 2010.  We regret to preface our report to bring to your
attention the passing of Seville Allen, a long time NFBV member and
activist. Seville was first vice president of the PCNFB.  Seville, a
founding member of and former president of the Potomac Chapter, served for
two decades as first vice president of the NFBV.  Seville passed away
February 23, and a beautiful Memorial Service was held on March 13, and the
moving tribute was attended by a large assembly of mourners, including many
NFB members.  We at the PCNFB, and throughout all the NFBV and NFB family,
will miss Seville and her presence, energy, wisdom, and contributions very
much.

With the memory and empowerment of Seville with us, the PCNFB has moved
proactively into what has already been a very busy first quarter.  This
report is divided into monthly sections.

January:  Per usual, our first monthly chapter meeting of the new year was
held on the second Thursday of January.  We welcomed three new members into
our chapter.  The PCNFB had nine members attend the quarterly meeting of the
State Affiliate Board of Directors meeting held on Monday, January 18 in
Richmond, and these same nine members then attended and participated in the
annual “Richmond Seminar” the next day on Tuesday, January 19.  The annual
visit to the Virginia General Assembly was very successful.  Then, on
Saturday, January 23, we enjoyed a very successful wine tasting fund rai
sing event.  Forty plus members and guests attended, and the chapter
realized an ample financial success, and a good time was had by all.

February: The snows of winter slammed everyone, including the PCNFB monthly
chapter meeting, which necessarily had to be cancelled.  The chapter was
well represented at the annual NFB Washington Seminar, which managed to be
scheduled successfully between the massive snow storms.  PCNFB members
assisted with the pre-meeting assembly of the seminar collateral, six
members assisted in the set-up of the nerve center Mercury Room and with its
daily operation, and Gerry Yeager was in charge of the Virginia NFB
congressional visits. Two chapter members participated in the Hill visits as
part of the Virginia team.  John and Sandy Halverson were instrumental in
organization of and execution of the chocolate replica sculpture of the U.S.
Capitol that was raffled off at the Seminar.

March: The PCNFB joined together strong with an unusually high number of
attendees at our March 11th monthly chapter meeting.  At this meeting, we
took time to remember our beloved Seville Allen, and many warm memories were
shared and kind words expressed.  We also held our annual chapter auction at
the March meeting, hosted by an enthusiastic Jackie Brown.  The annual
auction generated an interesting and varied selection of auction items,
resulting in another successful fund raising event.  In conclusion of the
first quarter, we now are looking forward to the second quarter, spring and
new initiatives, events and activities, including our chapter annual
banquet, which will be scheduled f or May.

As we look deeper into 2010, we remind you that the 52nd State Convention
will be hosted by the PCNFB.  The 2010 State Convention will be held
November 12 - 14, 2010, at the Marriott Fair View Park Hotel, 3111 Fair View
Park Drive, Falls Church, VA 22042. Telephone: 703.849.9900, or
1.800.228.9290.  <http://www.marriott.com/wasfp> www.marriott.com/wasfp.

Vigilant Report

The tape version of the Vigilant will no longer be available. Instead, the
full text of the Vigilant can be heard on NFB-NEWSLINE®.  One reason for
this change is that the time and expense required to create each audio issue
of the Vigilant are very costly.  A second reason is that many services that
produce audio tapes are switching over to alternative formats because
technology is changing and that change does not include the continued use of
audio tapes.  There are much better alternatives.

NFB-NEWSLINE® is a free service available to all Virginians.  It is as close
as your telephone and enables you to read not only the NFBV Vigilant, but
over 200 other publications from around the country.

If you are not already a NFB-NEWSLINE® subscriber, signing up is easy.  If
you have Internet access, go to www.nfb.org, and follow the directions.  You
may also call toll free:  1-866-504-7300.  Having the Vigilant available on
NFB-NEWSLINE® means that you will be able to read each issue as soon as it
is available.  You will not have any more long delays while the tapes are
being manufactured.  You will also get the great features that come with
being an NFB-NEWSLINE® < /B> subscriber.  For example, being able to select
the reading voice you want, having the ability to read the articles as fast
or as slowly as you want, the ability to read word by word or character by
character; and best of all, NFB-NEWSLINE®  IS FREE.

Don’t hesitate to sign up for NFB-NEWSLINE® now and begin receiving the
Vigilant along with hundreds of other state and national publications!

How You Can Assist Us

The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia is a nonprofit organization
whose purpose is to improve the lives of the blind through education and
legislation.  The NFBV is the blind speaking for the blind.  Assistance from
those who share our mission is always welcome.  If you can offer time,
material resources, or financial help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Another way to support the efforts of the NFB of Virginia is by means of
bequests.  Simply include the following information in your will: "I give,
devise, and bequeath unto National Federation of the Blind of Virginia, 702
Prince Edward Str. Apt. 5, Fredericksburg, VA 23401, a Virginia nonprofit
corporation, the sum of $___ (or "___ percent of my net estate" or "The
following stocks and bonds:___") to be used for its worthy purposes on
behalf of blind persons."

To learn of other ways in which you can support the organization, call Fred
Schroeder, President, NFBV, at (703) 319-9226.

State Officers

President, Fred Schroeder

First Vice President, Seville Allen

Second Vice President, Althea P. Pitman

State Treasurer, Lawrence Povinelli

Asst. Treasurer, Mark Roane

Recording Secretary, Stewart Prost

Corresponding Secretary,

Gwen Beavers

Vigilant Staff

Chief Editor/Print Production, Althea P. Pittman

Staff, Kathryn R. Hall

Braille Production, Alan and

Billie Ruth Schlank

NFBV Calendar of Events:

·  Thursday, April 15, 2010 – Deadline for applications for the McDonald
Fellowship.  Winners will be announced May 15, 2010.

·  Saturday, April 17, 2010 – 10:00 a.m. Eighth Annual Walk with the Blind,
City Dock, Fredericksburg.

·       Friday, April 23, 2010 – 6:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. Spaghetti Supper
at Jefferson Park Baptist Church, Charlottesville, VA

·       Saturday, May 1, 2010 – 9:00 a.m. Blue Ridge Chapter Walk-a-thon at
Monticello Trail, Charlottesville, VA

·       Saturday, May 1, 2010 – 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. Prince William
Chapter’s First Annual Low Vision Resource Fair, Woodbridge, VA

·  Saturday, May 1, 2010 – 6:30 p.m. until 11:00 p.m. The Cane Event NFB
Jernigan Institute, Baltimore, MD

·  Saturday, May 8, 2010 – NFBV Board Meeting, Richmond, VA

·  Saturday-Thursday, July 3-8, 2010 – NFB National Convention will take
place in Dallas, TX

·  Friday-Sunday, November 12-14, 2010 - NFBV Convention will take place in
Falls Church, VA