[Nfbv-announce] (Social Security Administration sent out the following notice )

Fredric Schroeder fschroeder at sks.com
Mon Aug 15 13:34:53 UTC 2011

>From Carolyn Ranker: Announcement from the Social Security Administration.

August 9, 2011
For all BVA membership and key contacts the Social Security Administration sent out the following notice about a webinar in a week on Section 504 access for disabled and wanted to share this with everyone. In past couple years Social Security has worked to improve its accessibility for blinded or hearing loss users.
The Social Security Administration will host two Public Forums concerning Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 and Tuesday, September 20, 2011, from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. EDT.  The forums will take place at the Office of Disability Adjudication and Review located at One Skyline Tower, 5107 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, VA  22041.
These forums are part of Social Security’s self-evaluation of our current policies and practices that support Section 504.  Under this legislation, federal agencies are required to provide meaningful access to their programs, activities, and facilities for qualified persons with disabilities.  The following website contains additional information about Section 504:  <http://www.ssa.gov/webcontent/section504/section504FAQs.html> http://www.ssa.gov/webcontent/section504/section504FAQs.html
The forums will provide an opportunity for people to comment on Social Security’s compliance with Section 504.  We are particularly interested in comments from persons with disabilities, their family members, and those who work with, or advocate for, persons with disabilities.  You will have an opportunity to provide comments in person, by telephone or by telephone relay service.
On August 17, we will accept comments related to our Policies and Facilities. On September 20, we will accept comments related to Information Technology (IT) and Communications.   Please visit  <http://www.ssa.gov/survey/504RegistrationForum.htm> www.ssa.gov/survey/504RegistrationForum.htm to register for one, or both of, the forums.
We will stream the forums live on the internet during the event and they will be available thereafter for public viewing at  <http://www.socialsecurity.gov/webcontent/section504/forums.html> www.socialsecurity.gov/webcontent/section504/forums.html.  Through this link, you will also find information about parking, directions, and transportation.
Please share this information with your members, colleagues and other interested parties.
Thanks for your support,

Kojuan L. Almond
Acting Associate Commissioner
for External Affairs