[Nfbv-announce] Fall 2011 Vigilant

Fredric Schroeder fschroeder at sks.com
Mon Dec 12 16:19:05 UTC 2011

NFB Vigilant

Fall 2011

“Voice of Virginia's Blind"

In This Issue:

·        2011 Seville Allen Award

·        Resolutions from the 2011 NFBV Convention

·        Richmond Seminar

·        Washington Seminar

·        2011 McDonald Fellowship Winners

·        2011 Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Winners

·        2012 NFB Writing Contest

·        Opinion Corner

·        Two Minute Membership Development Tips

·        NFBV Calendar of Events

·        How You Can Assist Us

·        State Officers

·         Vigilant Production Staff

2011 Seville Allen Award

By:  Dr. Fred Schroeder

At our state convention last month, it was my honor and privilege to present the second Seville Allen Award.  As most of you know, Seville was a longtime leader in Virginia and at the national level. She lived her Federationism every day and in all she did. She gave all she had in the way of energy, talent, commitment and financial resources to help improve opportunities for blind people everywhere.

This year's recipient of the Seville Allen Award is our own Michael Kasey, First Vice President of the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia.  To listen to the award presentation, please visit www.nfbv.org.

The audio of the award presentation is located on the home page right after the intro paragraph and logo.  If you get to the links for the Vigilant or NFBV Announce sign up page, you've gone too far.

Please join me in congratulating Michael on receiving this important honor, and more important, please join me in thanking Michael for all he has done and continues to do for the affiliate.

Resolutions from the 2011 NFBV Convention

Resolution 2011-01

   Commending Richard L. Sorey, Regional Manager, Norfolk Regional Office, Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI).

National Federation of the Blind of Virginia (NFBV).

   Whereas the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia (NFBV) recognizes periodically and, as appropriate, the professionalism and achievements of specific individuals, and particularly, when partners in advocacy with the NFBV; and

   Whereas Richard L. Sorey, heretofore, Regional Manager, Norfolk Office, Department for the Blind and Vision Impaired (DBVI) has served with distinction in that DBVI position; and

   Whereas Richard L. Sorey has been a dedicated, strong advocate for the customers and providing timely and effective services during his affiliation with the DBVI, and has exercised and executed executive management in the leadership and operations of the regional office and the professional staff; and

   Whereas, During the past few years, under the leadership of Richard L. Sorey, the Norfolk Regional Office has led the way in producing successful employment outcomes for consumers,  and recognized as a positive presence in the community; and

   Whereas, the Norfolk office was commended by the NFBV assembled in convention the sixth day of November 2011 approved a resolution crediting the Norfolk Office, under the leadership of Richard L. Sorey as an exemplary regional office; and

   Whereas, appreciation for Richard Sorey's willingness to Assume various responsibilities during his heretofore tenure with DBVI has been publicly expressed by the commissioner of DBVI; and

   Whereas, Richard L. Sorey has now chosen to pursue a career as the Director of the Office of Blind Services, Mississippi Department of Rehabilitation Services,

   Therefore, BE IT RESOLVED by the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia in convention assembled this sixth day of November, 2011, in the City of Virginia Beach, Virginia , that we express our appreciation to Richard L. Sorey for a job well done, and continued success in his on-going endeavors and initiatives in and on behalf of blind citizens.

RESOLUTION 2011-02
   Regarding the Workforce Investment Act Reauthorization

   WHEREAS, the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions has distributed language for the reauthorization of the Workforce Investment Act including a proposed Section 511 of Title V (the Rehabilitation Act), which would provide for employment of people with significant disabilities at wages below the federally mandated minimum wage; and

   WHEREAS, the proposed language of Section 511 would be a tacit endorsement of the subminimum wage provision found in Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and its antiquated contention that people with disabilities cannot be competitively employed; and

   WHEREAS, this language links the Rehabilitation Act, which was established to assist people with disabilities in obtaining competitive integrated employment, with Section 14(c) of the FLSA, which is based on the false premise that people with disabilities cannot be competitively employed and therefore can be paid subminimum wages; and

   WHEREAS, the language in Section 511 that defines what steps a vocational rehabilitation counselor must take before steering a client into subminimum-wage employment is intended to prevent youth with disabilities from being tracked into subminimum-wage jobs, but is likely instead to track clients into subminimum-wage employment; and

   WHEREAS, language in Section 511 asserts that employers holding a certificate that allows them to pay subminimum wages can also serve as training facilities for people with disabilities, a claim that ignores the fact that job training services provided by an employer holding a special wage certificate are likely to reinforce the low expectation that workers with disabilities cannot be competitively employed, since the incentive is for the employer to continue exploiting their labor rather than prepare workers for other employment; and

   WHEREAS, the Section 511 documentation and review process, which is meant to provide safeguards against inappropriate use of subminimum-wage employment, does not take into consideration the fact that state Vocational Rehabilitation programs do not have the resources to ensure effective compliance with the various documentation and review requirements, including the six-month review period in the proposed language, creating an opportunity to expand the exploitation caused by Section 14(c) of the FLSA; and

   WHEREAS, the good intentions motivating the development of Section 511 are likely to result in enormous negative consequences, especially the validation of subminimum-wage employment as a viable outcome for people with disabilities; and

   WHEREAS, the language does not provide an effective procedure for workers to challenge improper placement in such employment: ,

   Whereas, Virginia workshops for the blind have proven the sustainability of paying blind imployees minimum wages,

  Therefore, BE IT RESOLVED by the National Federation of the Blind in Convention assembled this sixth day of November, 2011, in the city of Virginia Beach, Virginia, that this organization urge the Virginia Congressional deligation to remove Section 511 of the proposed Rehabilitation Act; and

   BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that we call upon all members of our Congressional deligation, not to address the unjust law of Section 14(c) with ineffective measures, but to take direct action to abolish the reprehensible

practice of subminimum-wage employment forever.

Resolution 2011-03

   NFBV to Support Reauthorization of Federal Transportation Legislation

   WHEREAS, Congress passed the Surface and Air Transportation Programs Extension Act of 2011; and

   WHEREAS, the President signed this bill into law on September 16; and

   WHEREAS, this legislation extends funding for highways, public transit and the Federal Aviation Administration through March, 2012; and

   WHEREAS, some senators have voiced opposition to support for bicycle lanes and sidewalks, even though these improvements reportedly comprise only about 1.5 percent of the funding; and

   WHEREAS, more bicycle lanes and sidewalks complement public transit improvements, making communities more liveable; and

   WHEREAS, many who are no longer comfortable driving --  the elderly, those with limited vision, and the many who cannot afford vehicle transportation can benefit from the access a bicycle-friendly and pedestrian-friendly city provides; and

  WHEREAS, the primary purpose of public transit is to take people to and from their jobs; and

   WHEREAS, the U.S. Department of Labor and the Social Security Administration report that the unemployment rate of blind people exceeds 70 percent; and

   WHEREAS, effective public transit and safe pedestrian access are especially important for persons who either do not or cannot drive, including blind and visually impaired people, as they endeavor to lead active and productive lives,

   Therefore, BE IT RESOLVED by the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia, in Convention Assembled, this sixth Day of November, 2011, in the City of Virginia Beach, Virginia, that this Organization strongly urge the Virginia Congressional delegation to support reauthorization of federal transportation legislation, including provisions for improved and enhanced public transit, as well as bicycle lanes and sidewalks.

Resolution 2011-04

   Regarding the funding of high speed rail & Amtrak services

   WHEREAS, the House Sub-Committee responsible for funding of high speed rail and Amtrak has proposed substantial funding reductions in funding for both Amtrak and high speed rail projects; and

   WHEREAS this committee also proposes to eliminate Federal funding to State operated intercity rails services; and

   WHEREAS the potential reductions in rail service in Virginia as well as other states would adversely impact the ability of Blind people to travel independently between localities,

Therefore, BE IT RESOLVED by the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia in convention assembled this 6th  day of November, 2011, in Virginia Beach, Virginia, that this organization urge the Virginia Congressional delegation to oppose any reductions in Federal funding for both high speed rail and Amtrak; and

   BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT members of Congress also be urged to oppose any restrictions on the use of Federal Funds to support state operated inter-city rail services.

Resolution 2011- 05

   Commending the Chesapeake Bay Chapter, National Federation of the Blind of Virginia, for a Job Well Done.

   Whereas our National Federation of the Blind of Virginia (NFBV) conventions continue to grow and administration of the convention becomes complex; and

   Whereas in 2011 our Chesapeake Bay Chapter took on the challenge of hosting our 2011 (53rd) state convention; and

   Whereas our 2011 convention operated efficiently and smoothly,

   Therefore, BE IT RESOLVED by the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia in convention assembled this sixth day of November, 2011, in the city of Virginia   Beach, Virginia, that we thank our Chesapeake Bay Chapter for a job well done!

Richmond Seminar

By: Michael Kasey

All Federationist should consider joining other members in Richmond to visit the General Assembly!  This is your opportunity to spend time together while advocating for all Blind Citizens of Virginia.  We will meet at the Crowne Plaza on Monday, January 16, 2012 at 3:00 PM for our NFBV Board meeting.  On Tuesday morning, January 17 we will visit our Delegates and Senators in the General Assembly building.

Our preliminary legislative priorities are:

1. Maintain Separate State Agency Serving Blind Virginians with Adequate Funding

2. Reform the SOQ Caseload Formula for Blind Students

Stay tuned for the Board meeting announcement and agenda.  Let your Chapter President know you are coming so we can develop teams.  Make your reservations now for Monday evening January 16, 2012.  Sleeping room rates are $75 per night plus taxes.  Sleeping room cutoff date for reservations is January 6, 2012.

Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown

555 East Canal Street Richmond, Virginia 23219

Telephone:   <tel:804-788-0900> 804-788-0900 or  <tel:800-227-6963> 800-227-6963

If you have any questions, contact Michael Kasey (540)760 3885 or  <http://us.mc1613.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=michaelgkasey@verizon.net> michaelgkasey at verizon.net or Tracy Soforenko at  <tel:%28703%29635-2085> (703)635-2085 or  <http://us.mc1613.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=PotomacNFB@verizon.net> PotomacNFB at verizon.net

Financial Assistance:

All are encouraged to attend the Richmond Seminar.  If you need financial assistance for travel expenses to attend the Board meeting and Richmond Seminar, you should first request assistance from your Chapter President in advance.  If your Chapter is not in a position to help you, the Chapter President will request assistance from our State President, Fred Schroeder.  The State President will issue approval via email to your Chapter President, Mark Roane(our Treasurer) as well as you.  In most circumstances, Mark Roane will issue a check for expenses after you have provided to him the proper receipts.  Some guidelines to remember are:

Sleeping rooms are to be shared in order to minimize costs.

All requests are to be made in advance of the trip.

Reimbursements are made after receipts are mailed to Mark Roane.

Any questions concerning financial assistance, please see your Chapter President, and soon.

Washington Seminar

The Washington Seminar is an annual event of the National Federation of the Blind to introduce the agenda of blind Americans--the priority issues requiring congressional attention over the coming year.  The issues are selected from official positions of the Federation and may address concerns in the following areas: relevant civil rights issues; educational programs and services; rehabilitation of the blind for competitive employment; the operation of vending facilities by blind persons on public property; specialized library services for the blind; the organization and funding of federal programs; Social Security and Supplemental Income programs; and other timely topics.  Approximately three legislative initiatives are chosen for priority attention during the Washington Seminar. Join us from February 6 – 9, 2012 for our next great gathering!

Editor’s Note:  “It was amazing and so are these individuals.”

2011 McDonald Fellowship Winners

My Experience

By:  Natasha Hubbard, Peninsula Chapter

Many of us can remember the late great Godfather of Soul’s legendary hit single, “I’m black and I’m proud.”  Well, the National Federation of the Blind is an awe-inspiring nonprofit organization that makes you scream out, “I’m Blind and I’m Proud.”  I was selected by the McDonald scholarship committee to attend this year’s National Convention in Orlando, Florida.  The National Federation for the Blind was founded in 1940 by Dr. Jacobus TenBroek.  The Federation has expanded from only 7 states, to over 50,000 members in all of the 50 states as well as the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.

We are the individuals who expand activities for the blind”, says Dr. Maurer keeping the dream of equality alive!  Now, doesn’t that phrase ring familiar?  As many fought for equality for all races in decades past, the NFB fights for equality for all individuals with disabilities.  Disability rights are civil rights and it is the mission of the NFB to enhance our standards of equality.

Each year the National Federation hosts a convention in a previously chosen state.  This year’s convention was held in sunny Orlando, Florida.  The convention was an intense week jam-packed with learning opportunities, fun activities, and networking.  If you dare to tread in the independence market, the sheer quantity of goods would excite you.  In the market, I learned of new and intriguing technology for the blind.  I volunteered at the Virginia state table where I yelled, “Go nuts for Virginia peanuts!”  Each state had its own table and sold goods from their particular state.  In the evenings, there were parties, mock trials, and plays all performed by blind and vision impaired individuals.  The food was awesome, the drinks were tasty, and the company was better still.  I can’t wait to attend next year’s convention in Dallas, TX.  I am proud to say that I am a member of the Federation, which is the force, of the movement, which is changing what it means to be blind.

My Convention Experience

By:  Sarah Patnaude, Richmond Chapter

As I stepped into the Rosen Shingle Creek Hotel in Orlando on that Saturday afternoon, I only had one thought going through my head, “Boy, am I going to get lost!” After settling in, I walked around to figure out the layout of the hotel or at least try to. Needless to say, the next thing I knew, I was in the big web of hallways with no idea how to maneuver to my destination. Through this experience, a lesson I learned a year ago was reinforced, “I may not know exactly where I am or how to get to my destination, but by using the knowledge I have from my surroundings, past experiences, and common sense, I can put the pieces together and get back on track.” This would only be the beginning of a week of life-changing experiences.

I had been warned by one of my best friends that my first NFB Convention would probably be overwhelming and in a way she was right. The day after my arrival, the chaos of National Convention began. Even on the first day, there were so many things I wanted to do that there was no possible way I could have done everything. Before long, I found myself running around the maze of the convention center to get to the meetings on time, planning the best time to visit the convention floor, socializing with new friends, and trying to find the time to catch a bite to eat with my family.

However, it wasn’t just the amount of activities that overwhelmed me. In the beginning, the amount of people were a little intimidating but soon, I found that everyone was so welcoming. Before long, I found myself chatting up a storm with people I just met, feeling like I’d known them my entire life.

Although convention was a bit chaotic, I had mentors and friends to help me through it and help me get the most out of my first convention experience. Every day, I learned something about how the National Federation of the Blind operates; our involvement in legislation, our influence in the development of technology, and much, much, more. I attended a session about college, where a panel of college students gave their ideas and experiences about certain issues that blind college students face on a daily basis. Many of my concerns, such as having a roommate, accessibility to technology and accommodations were all addressed. Relief set in as my worries subsided.

One of the most influential sessions I attended, was the National Association to Promote the Use of Braille seminar. As someone who is new to Braille, I really didn’t know anything about it. Throughout the meeting, I learned that Braille was struggling in today’s world with most materials now being in audio form and about the different programs that promoted Braille literacy. One of the most powerful moments during this meeting, was when they passed around the tactile national American flag. When I learned that there was even such a thing, never mind the fact that it was being put up in certain areas, I was overcome with emotion. This session redefined the meaning of Braille for me and helped me become eager to learn as much as I can.

The speeches given throughout the week were another one of the many highlights of my first national convention. This was especially the case for Dr. Maurer’s banquet speech. I was told that this was everyone’s favorite part of convention, and I now understand why. From talking about the difference between danger and risk and the roles they play in society, to the portrayal of blindness in several movies, Dr. Maurer left me feeling empowered, with not just the words he spoke, but by the way he presented them. What a great way to end an amazing week in Orlando.

There are no words to describe how I felt after attending my first National Convention. Through my experiences at convention this past year, I know that I can do anything that comes my way. I can’t wait to be with my NFB family at next year’s convention in Dallas, Texas.

My First NFB National Convention

By Brian McCann, Chesapeake Bay Chapter

It was at the 2010 Virginia State Convention that I realized that the NFB was for me. Mary Durbin, my mom, an active member of the NFB, asked me to go to the 2010 state convention being held in Richmond, VA. I was hesitant because of my past experiences with other blind related organizations that I won’t name, but I agreed to attend. At the annual banquet dinner, Scott La Barre, president of the NFB of Colorado and a lawyer, was the guest speaker. He gave an inspiring speech and a story about an experience he had at an airport. After listening to his poor experience at the airport and how he did not let a few ignorant people stop him from his independence, I realized that this group of people (NFB) are not going to sit down and let the rest of the world tell them how they are going to live their lives.

After the state convention I went home and started doing more research on the NFB. I soon realized that they are hands on with everything that they do. I was eager to start getting involved with anything that I could. I attended the Richmond and Washington D.C. legislation seminars that year, I became more involved with our local fundraisers, I became the technology guy for our group creating a website and social network pages. Then in early 2011, I found out about the Robert McDonald Fellowship award, which assists people that have never been to a NFB National Convention to have such an opportunity. I quickly got the information that I needed and applied for the McDonald Fellowship. When Tracy Soforenko called me and told me I was chosen as a winner, I was beyond excited. I immediately started preparing for the 2011 NFB National Convention.

Arriving in Orlando, FL for my first national convention I had mix emotions; I was excited to be there and to start learning, yet I was nervous of what to expect. I arrived at the Rosen Shingle Creek Hotel two days early so I would have a chance to get familiar with the convention area before everything began. The hotel was huge, it was easy to get lost or confused. After a day or two, I got to learn the layout of the hotel and where all the rooms were and, by then it was already Sunday, first day of the convention.

The first few days of the convention I attended several different workshops and seminars including the “Rookie Roundup”, webmasters committee, NAGDU meetings, several legislation seminars, an employment seminar for e-Bay and many more. I also volunteered to work the Virginia affiliate table and the Independence Market. Learning more about the NFB and its mission; meeting new people and creating networks; experiencing new technology hands on; or working at one of the tables, I was always busy doing something. When I was not busy exploring something new, I was asked to be a marshal during some of the main events. It was amazing to see 3,000 plus blind people at one place and to have the same mission in mind.  The mentors that were assigned to me were very helpful and always making sure I was familiar of what was going on. Although it wasn’t always easy to meet with them because of busy and conflicting schedules, they were always available by phone if needed.

The opening of general session was definitely a unique experience. The Mayor and marching band of Walt Disney World helped with the opening of the general session. That was awesome but what was even better was listening to the presentations, and feeling the empowerment of the messages. Dr. Marc Maurer certainly knows how to get your attention and get you motivated! What I liked most is how the speeches explained the difficulty the blind face. The NFB had either the solution for it ready to be put into place or they were actively trying to already resolve the problem. The convention was overwhelming and educational at the same time. The only other thing people were talking about was the banquet dinner and the “Great Speech” by Dr. Maurer. The dinner and speech were more than I could have imagined. Just when I thought I was empowered and ready to change the world, I heard another speech by Dr. Maurer that blew all the others out of the water. I soon realized that he and all the other leaders of the NFB are incredible men and women, who are special to all of us.

My first NFB National Convention was truly a life changing event for me. I now know that there's a group of people to support me in anything I do. I now know that there's a group of people that are blind and they won’t let anyone else tell them how to live. I now know its possible to be a proud and productive blind person in society. The 2011 NFB National Convention was an amazing experience that I shall always remember as I go on with my journey in life as a blind person. I am honored to have been chosen as a McDonald Fellowship Award winner and to share my experience with you. I’m proud to be a Federationist!

2011 Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship Winners

Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Experience

By:  Nikki Jeffords, Chesapeake Bay Chapter

Incredible does not even begin to cover it!

It was an absolutely amazing experience to have the privilege of attending the National Federation of the Blind’s 2011 National Convention this past summer in Orlando, Florida.  I feel extraordinarily fortunate to have been selected to receive a Jernigan Convention Scholarship to participate in this life-changing and momentous gathering of blind people.

I have been a supporter of the NFB for many years, but stood back on the sidelines as more of an observer.  Since moving to Virginia two and a half years ago, I made a conscious decision to become a part of the movement that has given me the opportunity to live a normal life.

Tears filled my eyes as Dr. Marc Maurer addressed the Convention’s new comers at the Rookie Roundup.  He so passionately expounded upon some proposed legislation which would result in major regression of our movement.  At this moment I felt a part of something much bigger than myself.  I realized that in this room was a power greater than the sum of its parts.  Individually, as a VR Counselor, I do good things to make positive changes in the lives of blind people, but together, as a group, the NFB has the power to not only change lives, but change what it means to be blind.

This experience has called me to action.  I am now charged to bestow upon the community I serve, the knowledge, the empowerment and the camaraderie that is the NFB.   I now know firsthand how participation in a National Convention can charge our batteries like nothing else.  I will ensure the population I serve has the opportunity to know about and participate in the life changing movement, the National Federation of the Blind.

Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Experience

By:  Brandi Hughes, Richmond Chapter

My first convention was in Orlando Florida the summer of 2011. I have not been to a state or national convention until 2011. My first convention ever! I have never even been to Florida. I was astonished to find out that I won a scholarship! I never win anything. So, I get to go to Florida and get some money, this was an opportunity I was not going to miss. I am a venturous person who is always up for a challenge. National convention was definitely challenging. I truly learned a lot from this experience. I have been to Europe and it doesn’t even compare to the experience of National convention.

For the first time in my life I felt like I was a part of a community of people faced with the same challenges. It is great to meet people dealing with the same discrimination issues as you. I ventured out into the vast hotel by myself. I used my cane with pride instead of hiding away from it. For the first time in my life I can walk alone without help. I have confidence. I accomplished so much out of this convention. I opened up to people and became more sociable and less awkward. I rode an elevator by myself without fear. I met friends for life. I developed a “blind power” identity. Also, a major obstacle I over came is finding the restroom on my own. I have always wanted someone to show me where it is. I walk with confidence and a new and positive attitude.

I tell my parents all the time there are two kinds of people, people who are blind and people who wish they were blind. As a community of blind people we can overcome obstacles and demolish the typical stereotype. I learned that I am not alone in my struggle to be treated with respect. In 2012 the convention is in Texas. I have not been to Texas, either! I am looking forward to the 2012 convention in “The Big D!”

2012 NFB Writing Contest

By:  Robert Leslie Newman

The annual youth and adult writing contests sponsored by the Writers’ Division of the NFB will open January 1st and will close April 1st.

Adult contests, poetry, fiction, non-fiction, and stories for youth are open to all entrants eighteen years and over.

The Youth Writing Contest, poetry and fiction, are to promote Braille literacy and excellence in creative writing.  Entries will be judged on creativity and quality of Braille.  The age groups for these authors is divided into grade levels:  Elementary, Middle and High School.

Prizes for contest winners range up to $100 for adult categories and up to $30 for youth categories.

All contest winners will be announced at the Writers’ Division business meeting during the NFB national convention to be held in Dallas, Texas, the first week of July, 2012.  In addition, shortly after convention, a list of winners will appear on the Writers’ Division Website, www.nfb-writers-division.net first, second, and third place winners in each category will be considered for publication in the Writers’ Division magazine, “Slate & Style.”

For additional contest details and submission guidelines, go to the Writers’ Division Website, www.nfb-writers-division.net.

Opinion Corner

Words, Are They Just Words?

By:  Dr. Rick Holley

There are three pairs of words I would like to talk about in this note.  But first, let me tell you more about who I am.  First, with failing eyesight and 9 years of college, I worked for 29 years with Milliken and Co. in R&D, manufacturing and new product development.  After retiring on disability I settled down for the ‘Life of Riley’ on the Eastern Shore.  Then I met Ms. Althea P. Pittman, Second Vice President of the NFBV, who introduced me to the organization and later invited me to serve on the Eastern Shore Center for Independent Living Board of Directors.  Now years later I feel like voicing my opinion on several WORDS in the blind community: (1) educate or train, (2) disability or handicap and (3) sight or vision.

1.      The first pair of words, educate and train, were explained to me as I entered the world of manufacturing in the early 70’s.  Mr. Roger Milliken declared that the difference in the two words was that we educate people and we train animals with no disrespect to the animal world.  This difference has stuck with me for nearly 40 years and I think the NFB should consider doing the same.

2.      The second pair is disability and handicap.  Dear to the hearts of the NFB, I think it goes without further talk that the blind have a diability (minor) and are not handicapped with a cap-in-hand asking for alms.

3.      Sight and vision are the third pair.  Just this fall while talking with Cory MacDonald, a friend and director of the Choroideremia Research Foundation, he made the distinction between sight and vision.  He said, “Rick, the blind are not vision impaired, we are sight impraired.”

Now, what do we do about these Words?  Think about them, talk about them and then taking one step at a time we begin to change our use of the words.

Two Minute Membership Development Tips

By:  John Bailey

How To Add Sales' To Your Membership Development Plan

Selling has a very bad reputation, but, sales are very important to an organization.  If you think of selling as making another person by something that they don't want or need, then it is a negative thing.  However, if you think of it as educating someone about a product or idea that may help them, then the idea of selling is a good thing.

Getting someone to accept a new idea is a matter of selling them (educating) them about the benefits.  Getting someone to join your organization is a matter of educating them about the benefits of affiliating with your group.  If the person isn't aware that there are benefits, they are not likely to join you.

Because everyone today is so busy, with dual income families and employment challenges, fighting for someone's spare time can be very challenging.  That is why, if an organization wants to grow, they need to be very clear and precise about what benefits they can offer potential members.  So, when introducing your club or organization to a prospective member, remember it's the benefits that will bring them on board and it is your responsibility to educate them about those benefits.

John Bailey is a speaker who builds stronger nonprofit organizations and associations by teaching how any group can achieve  professional membership growth on a nonprofit organization budget.

Need a Speaker? Make Your Next Meeting A Memorable One!!
Have John at your next meeting and he can show you simple and easy to implement techniques for meeting and exceeding your membership development goals.

For fifteen years, John has been a leader at the local, state, and National levels of the National Federation of the Blind.  He has spoken to grass root organizations as well as at national conventions about leadership development and maximizing the effectiveness of local service organizations to have the lasting impact they want in their communities.

Ask about John’s Program, "Utilizing Your Most Powerful Membership Recruiting Tool for Fantastic Membership Growth: a Strategic Approach."  This focuses on simple steps toward building rapport, relationships and connecting with members and potential members.  All John’s presentations are tailored to your individual needs, challenges and concerns.

For more information visit www.maxmembershipmachine.com or contact John Bailey at  <http://us.mc1613.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=john@johnbaileyspeaker.com> John at JohnBaileySpeaker.com or  <tel:703-994.2040> 703-994.2040.

Editors note:  “Hats off to the Potomac Chapter and I do hold my hats dear to me.”

Potomac Chapter

By:  Joe Hobson

The Potomac Chapter moved proactively into what has been a very busy fall and year end season. To preface our fall/year end report, we would like to update that in early August the Potomac Chapter was again a participating exhibitor at the Arlington County Fair.  The event is the largest urban fair in the nation.

PCNFB participated in and was well represented at the quarterly meeting of the NFBV Board of Directors, held in mid-August in Richmond.

Additionally, the chapter had a healthy contingent of passengers on the NFBV fundraising cruise in late August, not without the usual weather predicaments involved with a NFBV event this time, Hurricane Irene.

September:  We moved into the fall season utilizing our post Labor Day holiday meeting to plan and organize for the remainder of the year. We initiated a chapter membership update, new initiatives for our committees and task forces, prepared for our participation in Meet the Blind Month activities for October, identified public outreach initiatives for promoting “changing what it means to be blind,” and reviewed plans and programming for the 2011 NFBV 53rd state convention. To maximize attendance and participation at the NFBV State Convention, PCNFB member John Halverson was the catalyst to organize a chartered coach service round trip to Virginia Beach for the November 4-6 event. We capped off September with our annual chapter picnic that was held at the home of Sandy and John Halverson.

October: The PCNFB fall fundraising event was our very successful October Fest, held in late October, again hosted at the Halverson’s. The fun filled event, attended by 35 plus members and guests, featured a lot of good German food, brew, and fellowship. It was a really good fundraising success!

November brought a strong attendance and participation by the PCNFB at the 2011 state convention in Virginia Beach. We were particularly pleased by the participation by several of our PCNFB members and their involvement in the various aspects of the programming and leadership in the NFBV 2011 state convention.  At our November monthly meeting, we appreciated a special presentation and demonstration of the new features of Freedom Scientifics’ JAWS Release 13 by Ansil Torres, founder and president, of the Torres Foundation. We also launched our annual “Save Your Change” donation initiative in behalf of the food bank program conducted by and at the Saint George’s Episcopal Church, Arlington, VA, where we host our monthly chapter meetings. We invite our members to simply save their change from breaking a dollar bill, or pocket change otherwise tossed in the jar, and then we collect it from everyone and donate the total amount to the church food bank. Also, the Potomac Chapter “Book Group” continues with a full agenda of reading identified for monthly interactive sessions.

December:  We rounded out our year with a grand social occasion when we gathered and celebrated at our gala Holiday Event at the Kora Restaurant Crystal City in Arlington. The annual holiday event was hosted on Thursday, December 8, 2011. We joined together socially to share the joys and gifts of the season and it was a fitting way to conclude our successful year of chapter accomplishments, membership growth, development of and implementation of new successful initiatives and the realization of a revitalized enthusiasm.

So, now we are looking forward to 2012. Just a few quick announcements of highlights. We will hold our monthly chapter meeting the usual second Thursday of the month. We will be attending and participating at the state affiliate first quarter board of directors meeting and 2012 Richmond Seminar, the annual legislative visitation to the General Assembly by members of the NFBV to be held January 16-17 in Richmond.

Then, we will start right off with a super fundraising event, the annual PCNFB Wine Tasting event to be hosted on Saturday, January 21, 2012. The PCNFB will provide its usual attendance and participation at the February 2012 NFB Washington Seminar followed by our own annual fundraising chapter auction in February 2012, run by auctioneer Jacki Brown, similar to her successful antics at state convention. We invite you to mark your calendar now to join with us for any of these activities.

How You Can Assist Us

The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia is a nonprofit organization whose purpose is to improve the lives of the blind through education and legislation.  The NFBV is the blind speaking for the blind.  Assistance from those who share our mission is always welcome.  If you can offer time, material resources, or financial help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Another way to support the efforts of the NFB of Virginia is by means of bequests.  Simply include the following information in your will: "I give, devise, and bequeath unto National Federation of the Blind of Virginia, 3230 Grove Ave, Richmond, VA 23221, a Virginia non-profit corporation, the sum of $___ (or "___ percent of my net estate" or "The following stocks and bonds:___") to be used for its worthy purposes on behalf of blind persons."

To learn of other ways in which you can support the organization, call Fred Schroeder, President, NFBV, at (703) 319-9226.

State Officers

President, Fred Schroeder

First Vice President, Michael Kasey

Second Vice President, Althea P. Pitman

State Treasurer, Mark Roane

Recording Secretary, Stewart Prost

Corresponding Secretary, Mary Durbin

Vigilant Staff

Chief Editor/Print Production, Althea P. Pittman

Staff, Kathryn R. Hall

Braille Production, Alan and

Billie Ruth Schlank

NFBV Calendar of Events:

·   Tuesday, November 1, 2011-January 4, 2012 – Braille Readers are Leaders Contest

·   Monday -Tuesday, January 16-17, 2012 – Richmond Seminar, Richmond, VA

·   Monday -Thursday, February 6-9, 2012 – Washington Seminar, Washington, D.C.

·   Monday-Wednesday, March 12-14, 2012 – The Virginia Youth Transition Forum, The Roanoke Hotel, Roanoke, VA

·   Saturday-Thursday, June 30-July 5, 2012 – NFB National Convention, Dallas, TX

NFB Vigilant                                                                FREE MATTER

Althea P. Pittman                                                         FOR THE BLIND

15018 Par Place

Melfa, VA 23410

altheapittman at yahoo.com