[Nfbv-announce] Richmond Seminar 2012 reminder

Michael Kasey michaelgkasey at verizon.net
Fri Dec 16 22:12:33 UTC 2011

2012 Richmond Seminar

By: Michael Kasey and Tracy Soforenko

The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia is a powerful force
advocating for blind Virginians. Please join us for the Richmond Seminar on
January 16 - 17, 2012 to ensure our voice is heard in the offices of the
General Assembly.

If you have never attended a Richmond Seminar, we strongly encourage you to
attend and participate in representative democracy in action. Everyone is
assigned to a team with an experienced leader. The General Assembly members
and their staff are very receptive and welcoming. They know we are
organized, articulate, and well versed in the subject matter. We will put
everyone on the team to work, sharing our issues and answering the questions
of legislators and their staff.

Chapter Presidents should make contact with their General Assembly members
in their local offices before the end of the year. If you need assistance in
identifying them, contact Michael or Tracy. A meeting with them will go a
long way in establishing the recognition that is needed for our visit to
Richmond. All Chapter members are encouraged to participate.

The affiliate will reimburse transportation expenses and hotel expenses.
Chapter presidents should arrange cost effective transportation for their
chapter members. Individuals are expected to share hotel rooms and must
obtain hotel reservations themselves at the NFB of Virginia rate. If you
need assistance identifying a room share, please contact Michael or Tracy.

The issues we will bring to Richmond will most likely include:

.        Support of the state Rehabilitation program, Virginia Department of
the Blind and Vision Impaired (VDBI) as a separate agency; and

.        Effective Braille training for students

.        Funding of the Standards of Quality (SOQ) pay for Special Education
teachers with an endorsement for the Blind.

The list of issues will be presented at our Board meeting on Monday January
16, 2012 in Richmond. The Board meeting will be held from 3 to 5 PM in the
Georgian Elizabethan Room at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Downtown, 550 East Canal
Street, Richmond, VA 22319. Hotel rooms can be reserved by telephone at
804-788-0900. The NFB rate is $75 plus tax per night. The deadline for
booking hotel rooms is January 6, 2011.

Chapter presidents must provide the names of the individuals planning to
attend from their chapter to Michael and Tracy by January 6, 2011 so we can
establish teams in advance. If  you have any questions, please contact
Michael Kasey at (540)760-3885 or michaelgkasey at verizon.net or Tracy
Soforenko at (703)635-2085 or PotomacNFB at verizon.net