[Nfbv-announce] Bernie Werwie

Michael Kasey michaelgkasey at verizon.net
Mon May 30 21:58:32 UTC 2011

A note from Bernie:

Dear Michael,

    Just short note to update you on my status.  Please feel free to
circulate this note to the NFB community.  Over the last 8+ months and since
last September 2010 I have faced several major medical issues that I have
been coping with.  First, last fall I had a cordial muscle detachment which
is similar to a retina detachment.  This was very painful, required a lot of
medical care and took an extended period of time to heal.  Unfortunately, it
left me with very little usable vision which means that I am working hard to
learn the blind skills to achieve my greatest potential possible and live
independently with dignity and respect.  In addition, after the first of the
year I sustained a foot injury which did not heal due to diabetes.
Unfortunately the wound became infected and I was hospitalized for a period
of time.  When the wound infection began to spread my doctors amputated one
of my toes in an effort to save the remainder of my foot.  Due to all of
this I have been hospitalized for quite some time and the doctors are
planning to send me to a residential rehab facility at some point this week
but I do not know which one yet.

      In addition to all of this I have had many other challenges in my life
while at the same time trying to be a husband and father.  In general, both
my wife and kids are doing well but are very busy with life and quite
stressed out over me being in the hospital.  The past several months have
been very difficult for my family and I and I would appreciate it very much
if people could keep us in their thoughts and prayers.  If anyone would like
to call or visit me I am at Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg, VA
in Room 4012.  FYI, my cell phone does not work here during most hours and
internet service is not available in my room.  Thanks for all that you do
and thanks for helping me get this message out.  I look forward to seeing
everyone soon and participating in future NFBV events.

Take Care,

Bernie