[Nfbv-announce] Building Support for the Governor's Budget Proposal for Inclusion of Teachers for the Blind in the Virginia Standards of Quality

potomac NFB PotomacNFB at verizon.net
Mon Dec 17 03:24:00 UTC 2012

Hi,

We need to meet and build support in the relevant Virginia House and Senate
sub-committees that drive funding for education.

Below I have listed the relevant committee members and their districts. We
need to identify constituents amongst our members or friends in the Senator
or Delegate's districts and meet. I am asking chapter presidents to help me
find members of your chapters who are in the Senator or Delegate's district.
It would be ideal if we could reach out to the offices and request
appointments between now and the first week of January. We recognize that
this is an incredibly busy time for these legislators but we need to
advocate for our blind students.

I have attached the position paper  we can use for this topic. I would be
eager to help you prepare for the appointment. I recommend that we partner
our experienced advocates with the constituent in the district so it is
easier and the meeting is smooth.

Please review the attached document and bring copies to the meeting.

Find Supporters on the relevant sub-committees: The Senate Finance Education
Sub-Committee and the House Appropriations Elementary and Secondary
Education Sub-Committees are the focus area because this is where the
discussion of the Governor's budget amendment really begins. I have pulled
the details from the web on these members.

If you are looking for a Delegate or senator to match a chapter member,
please use the following tool on the web.

http://virginiageneralassembly.gov/

For example, Mary Durban can meet with Delegate Tatta   with a Chesapeake
Bay member who lives in Sub-Committee Chair Tata's Virginia Beach district.
The meeting should be scheduled between now and January 9 so we can arm our
team with the relevant information. We should then ask the member to support
the Governor's budget amendment.

House Appropriations Elementary and Secondary  Education Sub-Committee
Members

Tata
<http://dela.state.va.us/dela/MemBios.nsf/a7b082ef6ed01eac85256c0d00515644/2
ce9ef92cc29512a8525753500577400?OpenDocument>  (Chairman)

Tata, Robert Rm801 chair education committee, appropriations committee and
Appropriations Elementary and Secondary Chair (804)698-1085 R

House District 85

Virginia Beach

[Mary Durban to arrange appointment.]

District Address: 4536 Gleneagle Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
Phone: (757) 340-3510
Email:  <mailto:DelBTata at house.virginia.gov> DelBTata at house.virginia.gov

Cox, M.K.
<http://dela.state.va.us/dela/MemBios.nsf/a7b082ef6ed01eac85256c0d00515644/0
d133cd59d10dbe585257535005773e9?OpenDocument>

Cox, M. Kirkland  Rm940 Vice Chair Appropriations committee (804)698-1066 R
Part of Chesterfield County and the City of Colonial Heights

[Sarah Patnod from chesterfield can make this appointment but she would like
Mark or Jennifer to come to the appointment.]

House District 66

District Office in Colonial Heights, VA 23834
Phone: (804) 526-5135
Fax: (804)526-3020
Email:  <mailto:DelKCox at house.virginia.gov> DelKCox at house.virginia.gov

Poindexter
<http://dela.state.va.us/dela/MemBios.nsf/a7b082ef6ed01eac85256c0d00515644/7
d2922e71753ea0f85257535005773ba?OpenDocument>

Poindexter, Charles D. Rm807 Appropriations (804) 698-1009 R

District includes parts of Franklin, Henry, and Patrick counties with office
in Glade Hill

House District 9

District office   in Glade Hill, VA 24092
Phone: (540) 576-2600
Email:  <mailto:DelCPoindexter at house.virginia.gov>
DelCPoindexter at house.virginia.gov

Greason
<http://dela.state.va.us/dela/MemBios.nsf/a7b082ef6ed01eac85256c0d00515644/3
8f56ad356c4724e85257535005773d0?OpenDocument>

Greason, Thomas A. Rm513 Appropriations, Education (804) 698-1032 R
Landsdowne  (Part of Loudon County)

House District 32

District Office: 19309 Winmeade Drive
Box 427
Lansdowne, VA 20176
Phone: (703) 203-3203
Email:  <mailto:DelTGreason at house.virginia.gov>
DelTGreason at house.virginia.gov

Scott, E.T.
<http://dela.state.va.us/dela/MemBios.nsf/a7b082ef6ed01eac85256c0d00515644/c
414f7cc2d8a49f785257535005773a9?OpenDocument>

Scott, Edward Rm 525  (Appropriations Committee)   (804) 698-1030 R
Culpepper

House District 30

[Michael Kasey has chapter member in Culpepper. Together, they will reach
out to the Delegate.]

District Office:

206 South Main Street, Suite 203
Culpeper, VA 22701
Phone: (540) 825-6400
Fax: (540)825-6649
Email:  <mailto:DelEScott at house.virginia.gov> DelEScott at house.virginia.gov

Scott, J.M.
<http://dela.state.va.us/dela/MemBios.nsf/a7b082ef6ed01eac85256c0d00515644/2
3faca12e986ed2b85257535005773e6?OpenDocument>

Scott, James M. Rm402 Appropriations committee   (804)698-1053 D

Merrifield in Fairfax

House District 53

[Beverly Kony with Tracy Soforenko to make appointment.]

District Office: Merrifield, VA 22116
Phone: (703) 560-8338
Email:  <mailto:DelJScott at house.virginia.gov> DelJScott at house.virginia.gov

BaCote
<http://dela.state.va.us/dela/MemBios.nsf/a7b082ef6ed01eac85256c0d00515644/9
c3e1ad561f7d6b885257535005773a8?OpenDocument>

BaCote, Mamye Rm507 appropriations, health welfare and institutions
committees (804) 698-1095 D Newport News

House District 95

[Tasha - Do we have Peninsula chapter members in this district.]

District Office:

Newport News, VA 23605
Phone: (757) 244-4415
Fax: (757)838-0541
Email:  <mailto:DelMBaCote at house.virginia.gov> DelMBaCote at house.virginia.gov

Senate Finance Education Sub-Committee

Thomas K. Norment, Jr. Chair

Norment, Thomas K. Rm621 finance committee (804) 698-7503 R Williamsburg

Senate District 3

[Corlis - Do you have someone who can make this appointment? While he is not
your legislator, there may be others in Williamsburg where he is their
Senator.]

District phone number is 757 259-7810

Charles J. Colgan

Colgan, Charles j. Rm326 chair finance Committee  (804) 698-7529 D Manassas

Senate District 29

District Office phone (703) 368-0300

Richard L. Saslaw

Saslaw, Richard L. Rm613 Education and Health, Finance (804) 698-7535 D
Springfield

Senate District 35

(Jerry Yeager to make appointment.]

District phone number is 703 978-0200

Emmett W. Hanger, Jr.

Hanger, Emmett W. Rm431 finance and rehabilitation and SOCIAL SERVICES
COMMITTEES (804) 698-7524 R Mount Solon

Senate District 24

[Dawn and Paul Jenkins to cover because this area includes Staunton]

District Phone Number is (540) 885-6898

Stephen D. Newman

Newman, Stephen D. Rm304 education and health committee (804)698-7523 R
Forest

Senate District 23

District phone number is  434 385- 1065

Frank M. Ruff, Jr.

Ruff, Frank M. Rm328 Education and Health committee (804)698-7515 R
Clarksville

Senate District 15

District office phone number is 434) 374-5129

Tracy Soforenko

Tracy.soforenko at verizon.net

Office: 202 326-4000 x3943

Home: 703 522-8182