[Nfbv-announce] Join Us at the 2013 Richmond Seminar - January 27 & 28

potomac NFB PotomacNFB at verizon.net
Wed Nov 21 16:03:01 UTC 2012

                                2013 Richmond Seminar

By: Michael Kasey and Tracy Soforenko

The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia is a powerful force
advocating for blind Virginians. Please join us for the Richmond Seminar on
January 27- 28, 2013 to ensure our voice is heard in the offices of the
General Assembly. Please note that the dates have changed from those
announced earlier due the Presidential Inauguration. Our board meeting is
now scheduled for Sunday, January 27 and our General Assembly visits will be
Monday, January 28.

If you have never attended a Richmond Seminar, we strongly encourage you to
attend and participate in representative democracy in action. Everyone is
assigned to a team with an experienced leader. The General Assembly members
and their staff are very receptive and welcoming. They know we are
organized, articulate, and well versed in the subject matter. We will put
everyone on the team to work, sharing our issues and answering the questions
of legislators and their staff.

Chapter Presidents should make contact with their General Assembly members
in their local offices before the end of the year. If you need assistance in
identifying them, contact Michael or Tracy. A meeting with them will go a
long way in establishing the recognition that is needed for our visit to
Richmond. All Chapter members are encouraged to participate.

The affiliate will reimburse transportation expenses and hotel expenses.

Chapter presidents should arrange cost effective transportation for their
chapter members. Individuals are expected to share hotel rooms and must
obtain hotel reservations themselves at the NFB of Virginia rate. If you
need assistance identifying a room share, please contact Michael or Tracy.

The issues we will bring to Richmond will most likely include:

.         Implementing and funding a defined teacher student ratio for
teachers for the blind (Standards of Quality )

.         .        Support for Virginia Department of the Blind and Vision
Impaired (DVBI) as a separate agency;

.         Support for a new reading media assessment tool for blind and low
vision students;

The list of issues will be presented at our Board meeting on Sunday, January
27, 2012 in Richmond. The Board meeting will be held from 3 to 5 PM in the
Department for the Blind, Library and Resource Center, 395 Azalea Avenue,
Richmond, Virginia 23227.

As requested at the affiliate convention, we will hold a Chapter Membership
Development seminar from 1:00 to 3:00 PM. Further details on the seminar
will be outlined as the details are worked out.

Hotel rooms are available at the Crowned Plaza Hotel Downtown, 550 East
Canal Street, Richmond, VA 22319. Hotel rooms can be reserved by telephone
at 804-788-0900. The NFB rate is $85 plus tax per night. The deadline for
booking hotel rooms is January 17, 2013.

Chapter presidents must provide the names of the individuals planning to
attend from their chapter to Michael and Tracy by January 17, 2013 so we can
establish teams in advance. If you have any questions, please contact
Michael Kasey at (540)760-3885 or michaelgkasey at verizon.net or Tracy
Soforenko at (703)635-2085 or tracy.soforenko at verizon.net

Tracy Soforenko

Second Vice President