[Nfbv-announce] Passing of Sandy Halverson's father

Joe Hobson joehobson at comcast.net
Wed Apr 3 23:38:36 UTC 2013

To: National Federation of the Blind of Virginia, and Interested Parties.

We regret to inform you of Sandy Halverson's father's passing.
Please refer to below details from Sandy halverson.

On Friday, March 22, 2013, my dad, Bill (William) Derickson passed away.  He had been     diagnosed with lung cancer in December 2012, had completed radiation treatments but never really recovered stamina and a good quality of life afterward.  He served in the US Navy during World War II aboard the USS Tallulah after which he worked for 40 years in the carpentry and cabinet-making business.  He spent much of his leisure time at the VFW Post 2996 in Pittsville, Maryland, an organization which has made generous contributions to the National Federation of the Blind.

His funeral service occurred on Tuesday, March 26 which was concluded with a very touching military honor guard presenting the flag to my sister, and playing Taps.

Contributions in his memory should be sent to:
VRW Post 2996
35481 Mount Hermon Road
Pittsville, MD 21850.