[Nfbv-announce] Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Summer Programs for the Blind

Corbbmacc O'Connor corbbo at gmail.com
Fri May 17 14:48:37 UTC 2013

From Daniel Ashman of the Richmond Chapter

I wanted to share with you an exciting opportunity that the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA) is introducing this upcoming summer; June 17-21, 2013. Within Reach art classes specifically designed and tailored for children 5-12 years of age who are blind and vision impaired. These programs are one of the ongoing and beneficial results of a joint cooperation between the VMFA and the Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Vision Impaired (VRCBVI). To introduce myself, I am a Braille instructor for VRCBVI and a professional artist who was approached by the VMFA to design and teach the below classes in an effort to further the growth and exposure to the arts for the blind throughout Virginia. Not only is this an exciting opportunity but a unique one as well; these are the inaugural classes that have been set up to specifically work with and for the blind. Please join with me in helping to further the cultural and educational growth of our blind youth here in Virginia, together we can enlighten and enliven lives.

Within Reach: Exploring My Artistic Self
http://www.vmfa.state.va.us/2013/ExploringMyArtisticSelf.aspx
Day + Time
Mon - Fri, Jun 17 - 21   9 am – noon
Location
MWV Art Education Center
Instructor
Daniel Ashman
Class Number
CW1
Ages
5 - 8
Cost
$125 (VMFA members $110)
Registration
Register online, by phone at 804.340.1405, or by mail-in registration form.
Description
Within Reach: Within Reach camps are designed specifically for children who are blind or visually impaired, providing an opportunity to use touch, sound, and smell to interpret, create, and enjoy art! This week-long program includes hands-on art activities and a guided touch tour through the galleries. Professional artist Daniel Ashman is also an experienced teacher with a certification in Braille.

[CW1] Exploring My Artistic Self: Learn about the art and history of portraiture through guided touch tours, group discussion, and hands-on studio art activities. With materials and guidance provided, students explore artistic ways to represent themselves in two- and three-dimensional self-portraits.

Cancellations: Fees are nonrefundable except when VMFA cancels a class. If enrollment does not meet minimum capacity to fund class, you will be notified at least one week in advance.

Within Reach: Mosaics in the Making
http://www.vmfa.state.va.us/2013/MosaicsintheMaking.aspx
Day + Time
Mon - Fri, Jun 17 - 21   1 – 4 pm
Location
MWV Art Education Center
Instructor
Daniel Ashman
Class Number
CW2
Ages
9 - 12
Cost
$125 (VMFA members $110)
Registration
Register online, by phone at 804.340.1405, or by mail-in registration form.
Description
Within Reach: Within Reach camps are designed specifically for children who are blind or visually impaired, providing an opportunity to use touch, sound, and smell to interpret, create, and enjoy art! This week-long program includes hands-on art activities and a guided touch tour through the galleries. Professional artist Daniel Ashman is also an experienced teacher with a certification in Braille.
[CW2] Mosaics in the Making: Students explore their way through the medium of mosaics while learning about the history of and processes involved in the creation of Roman mosaics. Participants also have the opportunity to experience the museum through a guided touch tour and peer discussion.

Cancellations: Fees are nonrefundable except when VMFA cancels a class. If enrollment does not meet minimum capacity to fund class, you will be notified at least one week in advance.

For further information please contact the VMFA’s Youth & Family Studios Program Coordinator, Megan Liles at megan.liles at vmfa.museum (804)340-1438.

Thanks much,

Daniel