[Nfbv-announce] Celebrate Fall, Go Pumpkin Chunkin, and Support Blindness Awareness

Corbb O'Connor corbbo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 03:23:51 UTC 2013

According to the World Championship Pumpkin Chunkin Association, pumpkin chunkin "cultivates the odd, challenging, and competitive quest for distance that inspires creativity, ingenuity, teamwork, and passion."

What is pumpkin chunkin? It's really quite simple. Take a pumpkin, launch it, and see how far you can make it go. The farthest that one has been thrown, using only human power (and a little mechanical help) is 1,984.37 feet.

How far can you, using only your own strength, throw a pumpkin? Can you throw farther than your friends, neighbors, or coworkers?

Invite them to join you at the Potomac Chapter's 2013 Fall Fest!

Sunday, October 20, 2013; 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Home of John & Sandy Halverson; 810 22nd St S; Arlington, VA 22202

Founded in 1940, the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) is the nation's largest and most influential membership organization of blind persons. As a consumer and advocacy organization, the NFB is considered the leading force in the blindness field today. Just as is the purpose of the National Federation of the Blind, our local chapter is two-fold: to help blind people to achieve self-confidence and to act as a vehicle for collective self-expression by the blind. Members of the NFB strive to educate the public that the blind are normal individuals who can compete on terms of equality.

That sounds like a good cause, right? We'd really appreciate your support and your attendance at our 2013 fall fest.

Clearly the pumpkin chunkin contest is weather permitting, but we'll also have music, great food, apple bobbing, a baked goods raffle, great fellowship, and a costume contest.

For $30, we're offering all you can eat: chili (beef, Charlie Brown's famous turkey, and Mary Ann's so-good-you-won't-know-it's veggie), Frito's, corn bread (regular and gluten-free), apple cake, world-renown Nando's Peri Peri chicken, pumpkin pie, apple pie, and fresh apples. If that's not enough, then come for the never-ending club crackers and pretzels!

Of course there will be beer, soda, and maybe some cider.

Just to ensure that you won't leave hungry, we're selling $5 tickets for the baked goods raffle. Your $5 donation to support our chapter gives you one chance to take home perfectly round chocolate chip cookies (from the Schlanks, of course), brownies, pumpkin muffins, and maybe some oh-so-filling French bread.

Come on, $30 for all of that? You can't even get that much value out of trick-or-treating your neighborhood!

Now, don't be late. Jacki is starting the apple bobbing promptly at 2:00 p.m., and we all know Jacki doesn't wait for anyone. 4:00 will be the first (hopefully annual) chapter pumpkin chunkin contest, and the baked goods raffle starts at 5:00.

Before you delete this e-mail, please forward it to your friends, family, coworkers, and neighbors. Where else will they learn to throw a pumpkin? Where else will they bob for apples? And, really, what would be more fun than supporting the Potomac Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind on a Sunday afternoon?

We look forward to seeing you on Sunday, October 20th at 2:00 p.m.

---
Corbbmacc O'Connor, President
Potomac Chapter, National Federation of the Blind

Chapter Voicemail: (703) 646-1130
Personal Cell: (703) 309-4884