[Nfbv-announce] VCU study

Michael Kasey michaelgkasey at verizon.net
Wed Jun 25 16:36:23 UTC 2014

The Haptics Lab at Virginia Commonwealth University is currently recruiting
for a study to assess a prototype assistive device to improve the ease of
use of making glucometer measurements independently.  This device is to make
it easier to correctly place a blood sample on a test strip.

We are looking for participants over the age of 18 who are blind or visually
impaired, and are diabetic.

We are now recruiting subjects for our research study. This study will last
32 days and will require that you make glucometer measurements using the
assistive device.  You will also need to be able to hear the synthesized
speech from the glucometer we provide.  We will provide you with all the
equipment, including test strips, that you will need and a method for
logging the data (either electronically or on paper, your choice).

Compensation for completing the study would be $60.

Contact: Matthew Standard (804) 828-7839 <tel:%28804%29%20828-7839> ,
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Virginia Commonwealth University,
Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm.

Please note that for this study you are not required to come to the lab.  We
can arrange to come to your home or a place you would be comfortable to
meet.

Also note, for those individuals who are blind and unable to hear
synthesized speech, after this first study is completed we will be
performing a study where we will relay the information by tactile
(non-Braille) means.

Sincerely,

Dianne Pawluk

--

Dianne Pawluk

Associate Professor

Biomedical Engineering

Virginia Commonwealth University

between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.