[Nfbv-announce] Happy Thanksgiving

Michael Kasey michaelgkasey at verizon.net
Thu Nov 26 16:49:38 UTC 2015

blindness is not what holds you back.

We celebrate with our families this Thanksgiving day.  I write to remind you
we thank God for all our gifts.  I share with you a proclamation offered by
our 1st President of the United States of America.

Following a resolution of Congress, President George Washington proclaimed
Thursday the 26th of November 1789 a day of "public thanksgiving and prayer"
devoted to "the service of that great and glorious Being who is the
beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be."
Reflecting American religious practice, Presidents and Congresses from the
beginning of the republic have from time to time designated days of fasting
and thanksgiving (the Thanksgiving holiday we continue to celebrate in
November was established by Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War and made
into law by Congress in 1941).

In setting aside a day for Thanksgiving, Washington established a
non-sectarian tone for these devotions and stressed political, moral, and
intellectual blessings that make self-government possible, in addition to
personal and national repentance. Although the First Amendment prevents
Congress from establishing a religion or prohibiting its free exercise,
Presidents, as well as Congress, have always recognized the American regard
for sacred practices and beliefs. Thus, throughout American history,
Presidents have offered non-sectarian prayers for the victory of the
military and in the wake of catastrophes. Transcending passionate quarrels
over the proper role of religion in politics, the Thanksgiving Proclamation
reminds us how natural their relationship has been. While church and state
are separate, religion and politics, in their American refinement, prop each
other up.

Thanksgiving Proclamation

Issued by President George Washington, at the request of Congress, on
October 3, 1789

By the President of the United States of America, a Proclamation.

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of
Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly
to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress
have, by their joint committee, requested me "to recommend to the people of
the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by
acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty
God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a
form of government for their safety and happiness:"

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November
next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that
great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that
was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto
Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the
people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal
and manifold mercies and the favor, able interpositions of His providence in
the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of
tranquillity, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the
peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enabled to establish
constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly
the national one now lately instituted; for the civil and religious liberty
with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing
useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors
which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and
supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations, and beseech Him to
pardon our national and other trangressions; to enable us all, whether in
public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties
properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all
the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and
constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to
protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown
kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and
concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue,
and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally, to grant unto
all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be
best.

Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the
year of our Lord 1789.

George Washington