[Nfbv-announce] Other Priorities of NFBV legislation agenda at Richmond Seminar

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 14 12:56:07 UTC 2016

2016 LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES FROM THE BLIND OF VIRGINIA

Priority #2:  Keep the Department for the Blind and Vision Impaired (DBVI)
as a separate agency. The Virginia DBVI should remain a separate agency
responsible for serving the unique needs of Virginia's blind citizens. The
National Federation of the Blind of Virginia opposes any action to merge
DBVI into other agencies.

Priority #3:  Support blind entrepreneurs. Virginia's Business Opportunities
for the Blind vending program provides a priority opportunity for blind
entrepreneurs licensed by DBVI to operate vending facilities in state
buildings. The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia opposes efforts
to weaken the priority for blind entrepreneurs.

*****

ABOUT THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

We are your neighbors, changing what it means to be blind. The National
Federation of the Blind is America's largest and most active organization of
the blind. With more than 50,000 members, we are not an "agency" claiming to
speak for the blind; we are blind people speaking for ourselves. In
Virginia, we are organized into 13 local chapters in major population
centers, and into various special interest divisions. Through advocacy, peer
support, scholarships, specialized literature, student seminars, free white
canes, and much more, we do whatever it takes to promote full integration of
the blind into society on terms of equality.

John Bailey:: Tel 703.994.2040
Chairman, Communications Committee, NFB of Virginia
President, Fairfax Chapter National Federation of the Blind of Virginia
Click here for chapter information
www.NFBV.org
Like us on Facebook!
Subscribe to our Youtube channel!