[Nfbv-announce] Support Robert Parsons for NABS Board Member

Michael Kasey michaelgkasey at verizon.net
Fri May 27 20:31:00 UTC 2016

>From Robert Parsons:

Greetings Students and Federation Family

I hope that your spring semesters have gone swimmingly and if you are taking
summer courses like myself, I send waves of positivity your way during the
summer session. I write to you as a potential leader, not just of our
affiliate and my chapter, but of hopefully the national level. As one would
do to any sister or brother when facing a seemingly insurmountable odd, I
turn to my federation family in my time of need and support. I have made the
decision to run for a seat on the board of the National Association of Blind
Students (NABS) at our 2016 National Convention next month. After being
inspired by the hard work of all the leaders that have groomed me for
leadership in our affiliate, I think it is time that a Virginian made
leadership roles on the national level in the student sphere a reality. I
hope to join the board and help revitalize the student divisions of not only
our association (VABS), but the student divisions of different states
throughout the nation. This task can only be accomplished through a simple
task of support.

Support comes in a multitude of forms. Though it is true a student must be
present to support my play for the position on the board at the national
convention by voting, those who unfortunately cannot make it can also do
their part to support me in this venture. I know that many of our students
have friends across state lines that may be attending the convention as
well. If those friends are students, please encourage them to not only
attend the NABS board meeting on Friday, July 1, but actively support
someone that has the potential to get the job accomplished and can truly
continue to push the dreams of our blind students towards reality. Likewise,
the members of our affiliate can do the same by either encouraging their
children to attend the board meeting and supporting me at convention or by
telling their friends in different states to have their children do the
same. I stated in my speech at last year's state convention that just saying
we are a family is a good sentiment, but practicing this sentiment is what
makes our affiliate and federation a strong one. Please allow for my words
to live through your actions by attending the NABS board meeting and
supporting me or encouraging other students to do the same. It is not an
action that will be in vain.

Blessings

Robert E. Parsons Jr.

Vice President, Richmond Chapter

National Federation of the Blind of Virginia (NFBV)

J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College '17

Alpha Delta Mu National Music and Social Work Fraternity

Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society '15

www.nfbv.org <http://www.nfbv.org>

Phone: 804 200 3275

"Persist Until Success Happens." -Thomas Baile

blindness is not what holds you back.