[Nfbv-announce] Time is running out to get a hotel room and register for Nov. 11-13 Virginia State Convention in Virginia Beach

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 6 11:57:29 UTC 2016

Time is running out to get a hotel room and register for Nov. 11-13 Virginia State Convention in Virginia Beach

FYI: If you need a hotel room at our NFBV  reduced rate, you must register for a room prior to October 15.

2016 National Federation of the Blind of Virginia State Convention
Dates and Hotel Reservations

We are convinced that the 2016 NFB of Virginia State Convention will be another great event. Following are the dates and hotel registration information. We look forward to seeing everyone there.

You can make your hotel reservations now at our NFB of Virginia rate.

Details:

  *   November 11, 2016 - November 13, 2016
  *   Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront
  *   5700 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23451
  *   Call 1-800-365-3032 to make reservations and ask for the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia (NFBV) group rate.
  *   Click here to make hotel reservations online<http://www.wyndham.com/groupevents2016/ORFVB_NATIONALFEDERATIONBLINDVA/main.wnt>

Special room rate of $72 + tax per night from Thursday, November 10 - Saturday, November 12, 2016.

The cut-off date to take advantage of this special room rate is Tuesday, October 18, 2016. Cancellations must be received 72 hours in advance to avoid penalties. All guestroom rates are subject to the current area tax rates. After the deadline, there is no guarantee that you will get a room at the convention hotel.

The Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront Hotel features 244 guestrooms, with 166 oceanfront options available, boasting the most direct ocean views in Virginia Beach. Guests can delight in cool sea breezes from their private balcony or patio opening to our semi-private beach. All of the guestrooms at the hotel feature free Wi-Fi, a refrigerator, coffeemaker and flat-screen TVs. For guests that want a little more space, the one and two bedroom suites as well as the Jacuzzi king rooms offer sweeping views of the shoreline, along with some extra room for the whole family to relax after a great day at the beach.

Registering For Convention

There are three ways to register for the convention:

  1.  Click here to go to the Brown Paper Tickets web site to register online;<http://www.nfbv2016.brownpapertickets.com/>
  2.  Call Brown Paper Tickets toll free (800) 838-3006 to register by phone; or
  3.  You may complete the attached Convention Pre Registration Form and mail it with payment included to:
     *   NFB of Virginia
     *   3230 Grove Avenue
     *   Richmond, VA 23221
     *   Click Here to Download the 2016 Pre-Registration Form<http://www.nfbv.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/2016-NFBV-Convention-Pre-Registration-Form.doc>

Convention Agenda Preview

We are working hard on convention plans and we want to provide a preview of the plans so you can arrange to be there.

Based on the positive feedback from last year, we will continue with the new structure of convention, making both Friday & Saturday programming even stronger. While you are welcome to show up for just a portion of convention, you should seriously consider asking for Veteran's Day, November 11 as a day off to attend the great Friday programming.

These plans are still in progress and may change.

Friday Highlights:

  *   I. General Session officially starts Friday Morning - After a brief
Board meeting, open to all members, we will start the convention officially at 10:00 a.m. There will be exciting presenters on Friday morning and a ceremony honoring our Veterans.
  *   II. II. Friday Seminars - 2 Seminars are planned on Friday afternoon
     *   a. Technology Seminar -Chris O'Meally is planning a great seminar. The Best Apple IOS Applications of 2016, Best Practices for blind ride sharing users, advancements in Google product accessibility including Android, Chrome OS, and Google apps.
     *   b. Relationships Intersection - Uricka Harrison and Deepa Goraya will lead a seminar on relationships, dating, parenting and living the life you want.
  *   III. Exhibitors - We will have a great set of exhibitors sharing products and services you will find interesting and valuable. Robert Parsons will be organizing exhibits.
  *   IV. Rookie Reception - First time convention attendees will be welcomed in an environment to receive answers to questions and get connected.
  *   V. Veterans at the Beach Party - On Friday evening, all are welcome at an indoor Veterans at the Beach themed hospitality.
  *   VI. Student Programming - The student division is planning a set of programming on Friday night to get convention rolling for students.

Saturday Highlights:

  *   I. General Session - There will be phenomenal presentations during General Session on Saturday morning including a National Report from our National Representative, Pam Allen and a Virginia report from President Kasey. More details to follow.
  *   II. Saturday break Out session - On Saturday afternoon, in place of General Session we are planning smaller breakout groups for our core constituencies:
     *   a. Career / Employment Track for Working age adults - Melody Roane is developing an exciting and interactive session to help you in your career. More details to follow.
     *   b. Student Track - We are planning an exciting student track including a Friday welcome reception, a travel activity for Saturday lunch outside of the hotel, and interactive programming on Saturday and Sunday morning that will enable students to learn from each other and from our great Federation resources. The Virginia Association of Blind Students will be organizing student track.
     *   c. Senior Track- Nancy Yeager and a committee of seniors are planning an exciting program for seniors based on ideas from across the country. More details to follow...
     *   d. Parent Track - the Virginia Association of Parents of Blind Children is planning a number of programs including discussions on advocacy /self-advocacy and some hands on activities.
     *   e. Social Media Training - Concurrent to these breakout sessions, Danielle Trevino will lead 2 sessions to help understand how to use Social Media for both achieving personal and Federation goals. Danielle will lead an introductory and advance class and seating will be limited. More details on registering for these sessions will be provided soon.
  *   III. . On Saturday night, Pam Allen, our National representative and First Vice president of the National Federation of the Blind, president of the NFB of Louisiana, and Director of the Louisiana Center for the Blind will provide an exciting banquet address you will not want to miss.

Sunday Morning

On Sunday morning, we are planning a number of high energy presentations including, That's Me: Exploring Our Common Bonds, led by Joanne Wilson. There will be blind people talking about their unique jobs and a report out from our students.

As you will observe, we are planning a great event. However, to make it truly outstanding, we need you to plan to attend.

Please act now to join us in Virginia Beach.

Child Care

Child care is available to the children of registered convention attendees (ages infant through 5th grade) during 6 sessions of convention. These sessions are:

  *   Session 1 Friday morning 8:45 am to 12:15 pm
  *   Session 2 Friday afternoon 12:15 pm to 5:15 pm
  *   Session 3 Friday evening 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm
  *   Session 4 Saturday morning 8:45 am to 12:15 pm
  *   Session 5 Saturday afternoon 12:15 pm to 5:15 pm
  *   Session 6 Saturday evening 6:45 pm to ½ hour after banquet adjournment

Snacks will be provided during Sessions 1, 2, 4 and 5. Even though child care will be open and fully staffed during lunch on Friday and Saturday, lunch will not be provided. Parents should either pick their child up for lunch at the end of Sessions 1 and 4 or provide a lunch for their child to eat in the child care room. Also, dinner will not be provided on Friday or Saturday evening. Parents should feed their child dinner prior to bringing them to Sessions 3 or 6. The cost of child care is $5 per family per session. If you need more information, please contact Mary Durbin at (757) 472-2495 or mrdurbin at cox.net. Please indicate the number of children per session on the Convention Pre Registration Form.

Saturday Boxed Lunch

On Saturday, box lunches will be available for a cost of $13.50 if purchased in advance on the convention pre registration form. Box lunches can only be guaranteed for those purchased on the convention pre registration form. A limited number may be available for purchase at the convention.

Note: Individuals participating in the Student Track / Virginia Association of Blind Students programming should plan to attend the Orientation & Mobility lunch outside the hotel and should not purchase the Saturday boxed lunch.

:Student Youth Track

We are again holding a special Youth Track designed to meet the needs of blind Students. In order to participate in this fun and exciting program, participants under the age of 18 must also complete, sign, and bring the below Youth Track Registration form to convention.

Click here to download the 2016 Youth Track RegistrationForm<http://www.nfbv.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/2016-Youth-Track-Registration-Form-final.doc>

Those participating in the youth track will also need to register for the convention. See the notes above on hotel and Convention Registration.

The KNFB Reader

Now you can have the convenience of an OCR scanner in the palm of your hand. The KNFB Reader app is a revolutionary tool that you can use, with the touch of a single button, to read virtually any type of printed text, including mail, receipts, class handouts, memos, and many other documents. Accuracy is facilitated by a field-of-view report, automatic page detection, and tilt control.

Proprietary document analysis technology determines the words and reads them aloud to the user with high quality text-to-speech. Read the words you want to read; live the life you want.
Visit the Apple App Store to purchase the KNFB Reader app and start enjoying it today!<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/knfbreader/id849732663?mt=8>

For the latest news and information about the KNFB Reader, follow us on Twitter @KNFBReader or like us on Facebook.

Get a tax credit, help the blind, and donate your car!

You can donate almost any vehicle, including cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles and recreational vehicles. They do not have to be currently running. Your vehicle donation will be sold at an auction or to salvage depending on condition. We will arrange to have your vehicle picked up, and send you the receipt for your tax deduction.

Start the process today by calling (855) 659-9314 or donate your car online<https://nfb.org/vehicledonations>.

Recent Posts

  *   2016 NFBV State Convention Agenda Preview<http://www.nfbv.org/2016-nfbv-state-convention-agenda-preview/>
  *   2016 Youth Track Registration<http://www.nfbv.org/2016-youth-track-registration/>
  *   2016 State Convention Registration Now Available<http://www.nfbv.org/2016-state-convention-registration-now-available/>
  *   2016 National Federation of the Blind of Virginia State Convention<http://www.nfbv.org/2016-national-federation-of-the-blind-of-virginia-state-convention/>
  *   Annette Talks About Why Braille Is So Important<http://www.nfbv.org/annette-talks-about-why-braille-is-so-important/>
  *   Joy Relton Talks About How The NFBV Changes The Lives Of The Blind<http://www.nfbv.org/joy-relton-talks-about-how-the-nfbv-changes-the-lives-of-the-blind/>
  *   Fairfax Chapter NFB introducing Sharon Jose National Scholarship Winner<http://www.nfbv.org/fairfax-chapter-nfb-introducing-sharon-jose-national-scholarship-winner/>
  *   National Federation of the Blind of Virginia 2016 Scholarship Application Now Available<http://www.nfbv.org/nfbv-2016-scholarship-application-now-available/>
  *   Fairfax Chapter Hosts Indoor Rock Climbing in March<http://www.nfbv.org/fairfax-chapter-hosts-indoor-rock-climbing-in-march/>
  *   New NFBV Reimbursement Request Form<http://www.nfbv.org/new-nfbv-reimbursement-request-form/>

Categories

  *   Blind Children<http://www.nfbv.org/category/blind-children/>
  *   Chapter Activities<http://www.nfbv.org/category/chapter-activities/>
  *   Donations<http://www.nfbv.org/category/donations/>
  *   Fundraising<http://www.nfbv.org/category/fundraising/>
  *   Leadership<http://www.nfbv.org/category/leadership/>
  *   Legislation<http://www.nfbv.org/category/legislation/>
  *   National Convention<http://www.nfbv.org/category/national-convention/>
  *   News and Announcements<http://www.nfbv.org/category/news-and-announcements/>
  *   Seniors<http://www.nfbv.org/category/seniors/>
  *   State Board Meeting<http://www.nfbv.org/category/state-board-meeting/>
  *   State Board Meeting Minutes<http://www.nfbv.org/category/state-board-meeting-minutes/>
  *   State Convention<http://www.nfbv.org/category/state-convention/>
  *   Students<http://www.nfbv.org/category/students/>
  *   Uncategorized<http://www.nfbv.org/category/uncategorized/>
  *   Unique Opportunities<http://www.nfbv.org/category/unique-opportunities/>

Find us on Face Book
Link here<https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=366844540190283&v=feed&_rdr> to go to the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia Face Book Page
Join Our Information and Announcement List