[Nfbv-announce] Amtrak and Public Bus to Virginia Beach

Tracy Soforenko tracy.soforenko at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 01:32:40 UTC 2016

From: Brian Mccann [mailto:brnmccnn at gmail.com]

While some may choose to take the bus arranged by the Potomac Chapter, if you wish to get to the Virginia Beach area via Amtrak or Greyhound, we have provided some details about your options.

I've also attached a list of transportation options in the Virginia Beach area in the attached document.

Amtrak to Virginia Beach
Amtrak offers two options getting you to Virginia Beach. You can take the Amtrak train into Newport News and then transfer to an Amtrak coach bus that will bring you to the Virginia Beach Oceanfront  area or you can take a direct train into Norfolk and then a 20-minute ride to the hotel in Virginia Beach. The Newport News option has two trains coming into the station everyday vs. Norfolk’s one train a day. Visit  <https://www.amtrak.com/home> https://www.amtrak.com/home

or call 1 800 USA-RAIL to make a reservation.

Inbound to Virginia Beach

Newport News Option
You can take one of the two Amtrak trains into Newport News, wait approximately 15-20 minutes and transfer to a coach bus (price is included in your Amtrak ticket) that will drop you off at the Oceanfront. You will then need to take a $10 (approx.) Uber or taxi ride to the hotel. Arrival times to Virginia Beach include 1:30 pm and 8:30 pm. An Uber ride from the Newport News train station to the hotel is approximately $35.

Norfolk Option
The Norfolk station only has one train that comes directly into the station without any transfers. Once you arrive in Norfolk, you can take a $20 (approx.) Uber or taxi ride directly to the hotel. The arrival time in Norfolk is 8:38 pm and then about a 20 minute ride to the hotel.

Outbound from  Virginia Beach

We investigated the Sunday return options for this message:

Norfolk Option: the only train departs Norfolk at 6:15  AM.

Virginia Beach Bus to Newport News Amtrak: There are 2 departure options. The first is at 6:10 AM and the second is at 2:30 PM.

Greyhound:

We did not investigate the Greyhound options but Greyhound does provide limited service to Virginia Beach

1-800-231-2222

https://www.greyhound.com/en

More details including taxi information and the addresses for the various stations are included in the attached document.

Brian McCann
(757) 472-2494
brnmccnn at gmail.com <mailto:brnmccnn at gmail.com>