[Nfbv-announce] What is White Cane Safety Day and why you should prepare now

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 3 18:13:25 UTC 2016

What is White Cane Safety Day and why you should prepare now
In 1964, the United States passed the White Cane Safety Act. This stated that in all 50 states, drivers were to give anyone carrying a white cane right—of-way when crossing streets; even when not using cross walks.

Every year since then, October 15 is celebrated as White Cane Safety Day. NFB chapters throughout  the country ask their local representatives to acknowledge this milestone in the independence of the blind by signing proclamations during the month.

Basically, the proclamation reiterates that the blind are an important part of society and that the white cane not only being a tool for travel, is also a symbol of independence. The proclamation also affirms that all institutions of education be available to the blind.

The proclamation is written for individual states. However, it can be modified for local legislators as well.

The gears of government can grind slowly. So, get started now by contacting your local government and letting them know you want a White Cane Safety proclamation and that you have a draft ready for them to use.

Below is the text of the draft proclamation. The word version is attached.

STATE OF (name of state)

WHITE CANE PROCLAMATION (Sample)

WHEREAS, the white cane, which every blind citizen of our state has the right to carry, demonstrates and symbolizes the ability to achieve a full and independent life and the capacity to work productively in competitive employment; and

WHEREAS, the white cane, by allowing every blind person to move freely and safely from place to place, makes it possible for the blind to fully participate in and contribute to our society; and

WHEREAS, every citizen should be aware that the law requires that motorists exercise appropriate caution when approaching a blind person carrying a white cane; and

WHEREAS, (name of state) law also calls upon employers, both public and private, to be aware of and utilize the employment skills of our blind citizens by recognizing their worth as individuals and their productive capacities; and

WHEREAS, the State of (name of state), through its public agencies and with the cooperative assistance of the (name of Federation affiliate), can look forward to a continued expansion of employment opportunities for and greater acceptance of blind persons in the competitive labor market:

NOW, THEREFORE, I, (name of Governor), Governor of the State of (name of state), do hereby proclaim October 15, _________, as

                                                     WHITE CANE SAFETY DAY

in (name of state) and do call upon our schools, colleges, and universities to offer full opportunities for training to blind persons; upon employers and the public to utilize the available skills of competent blind persons and to open new opportunities for the blind in our rapidly changing society; and upon all citizens to recognize the white cane as an instrument of safety and self-help for blind pedestrians on our streets and highways.

Attached is a draft White Cane Safety Day proclamation you can modify for your chapter.

John Bailey
President, Fairfax Chapter
703.994.2040
john_bailey17 at hotmail.com

Chapter meeting location and dates
http://www.nfbv.org/chapters-divisions/fairfax/

Receive email updates on chapter activities: