[Nfbv-announce] 2016 NFBV Convention Initial Agenda Preview

Tracy Soforenko tracy.soforenko at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 12:11:48 UTC 2016

Fellow Federationists,

We are convinced that the 2016 NFB of Virginia Convention will be our best
ever. We are working hard on the plans and we want to provide a preview of
the plans so you can arrange to be there.

Based on the positive feedback from last year, we will continue with the new
structure of convention, making both Friday & Saturday programming even
stronger. While you are welcome to show up for just a portion of convention,
you should seriously consider asking for Veteran's Day, November 11 as a day
off to attend the great Friday programming.

These plans are still in progress and may change.

Friday Highlights:

I.                    General Session officially starts Friday Morning -
After a brief
Board meeting, open to all members, we will start the convention officially
at 10:00 a.m. There will be exciting presenters on Friday morning and a
ceremony honoring our Veterans.

II.                 II. Friday Seminars - 2 Seminars are planned on Friday
afternoon

a.       Technology Seminar -Chris O'Meally is planning a great seminar. The
Best Apple IOS Applications of 2016, Best Practices for blind ride sharing
users, advancements in Google product accessibility including Android,
Chrome OS, and Google apps.

b.      Relationships Intersection - Uricka Harrison and Deepa Goraya will
lead a seminar on relationships, dating, parenting and living the life you
want.

III.              Exhibitors - We will have a great set of exhibitors
sharing products and services you will find interesting and valuable. Robert
Parsons will be organizing exhibits.

IV.              Rookie Reception - First time convention attendees will be
welcomed in an environment to receive answers to questions and get
connected.

V.                Veterans at the Beach Party - On Friday evening, all are
welcome at an indoor Veterans at the Beach themed hospitality.

VI.              Student Programming - The student division is planning a
set of programming on Friday night to get convention rolling for students.

Saturday Highlights:

I.                    General Session - There will be phenomenal
presentations during General Session on Saturday morning including a
National Report from our National Representative, Pam Allen and a Virginia
report from President Kasey. More details to follow.

II.                 Saturday break Out session - On Saturday afternoon, in
place of General Session we are planning smaller breakout groups for our
core constituencies:

a.       Career / Employment Track for Working age adults - Melody Roane is
developing an exciting and interactive session to help you in your career.
More details to follow.

b.      Student Track - We are planning an exciting student track including
a Friday welcome reception, a travel activity for Saturday lunch outside of
the hotel, and interactive programming on Saturday and Sunday morning that
will enable students to learn from each other and from our great Federation
resources. The Virginia Association of Blind Students will be organizing
student track.

c.       Senior Track- Nancy Yeager and a committee of seniors are planning
an exciting program for seniors based on ideas from across the country. More
details to follow.

d.      Parent Track - the Virginia Association of Parents of Blind Children
is planning a number of programs including discussions on advocacy
/self-advocacy and some hands on activities.

e.       Social Media Training - Concurrent to these breakout sessions,
Danielle Trevino will lead 2 sessions to help understand how to use Social
Media for both achieving personal and Federation goals. Danielle will lead
an introductory and advance class and seating will be limited. More details
on registering for these sessions will be provided soon.

III.              . On Saturday night, Pam Allen, our National
representative and First Vice president of the National Federation of the
Blind, president of the NFB of Louisiana, and Director of the Louisiana
Center for the Blind will provide an exciting banquet address you will not
want to miss.

Sunday Morning

On Sunday morning, we are planning a number of high energy presentations
including That's Me: Exploring Our Common Bonds led by Joanne Wilson. There
will be blind people talking about their unique jobs and a report out from
our students.

As you will observe, we are planning a great event. However, to make it
truly outstanding, we need you to plan to attend.

Details on hotel and convention registration can be found on the 2016 State
Convention link found under Events at our home page or at:

http://www.nfbv.org/national-federation-of-the-blind-of-virginia-state-conve
ntion/

Please act now to join us  in Virginia Beach.

Tracy Soforenko

First Vice president, NFB of Virginia

Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com <mailto:Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com>

202 285-4595