[Nfbv-announce] Fwd: Successful Student Summer Blowout

Chris Walker chrisvinson1 at gmail.com
Mon May 8 21:23:54 UTC 2017

Hello Federationists, Students, and Parents

As we approach the end of the school year for our students, I am sure that
final exams, the prospect of summer vacation, and the potential of a trip
to Orlando for national convention has all of our students filled to the
brim with anxiety. I can share that feeling with each and every student
right now and what I need sorely is a refreshing end to a busy school year.
Luckily, I have an answer for any high school and college students in the
affiliate that feel this way.

The Virginia Association of Blind Students is teaming up with the Maryland,
Pennsylvania, and New Jersey student divisions to present the “Successful
Student Summer Blowout” for all blind high school and college students that
are interested. At this special event, students will have a chance to
engage in different seminars, recreational activities, and networking
opportunities. Some key parts of this event will include discussions about
training, a grilling opportunity on the deck, a descriptive movie under the
stars, a dance party, the “Dot Dash 5k” to support braille literacy, a
chance to meet national leaders, networking opportunities with students
from across the Mid-Atlantic affiliates, and a chance to be a part of an
epic social media campaign. This is one event you would not want to miss.
Below are the details.

When: Friday June 2- Sunday, June 4

Where: The National Federation of the Blind

Jernigan Institute

200 E. Wells Street

Baltimore, MD 21230

The Jernigan Institute does not charge affiliate members and our students
to use the amenities, so lodging and meals will be provided. The only
responsibility of the student is their transportation. The Virginia
affiliate is proud to support the student division members with a $20
reimbursement to help with the travel cost of any student that joins us in
Baltimore. In order to sign up for this event, you must register. This is a
first come, first serve opportunity with limited space for each affiliate
so the first 15 students will be considered. In order to register, please
contact Andrea Perry, treasurer, at 571 316 4424 <(571)%20316-4424>. If you
have any questions about this event, please feel free to contact me at 804
200 3275 <(804)%20200-3275>. I am so excited to see all of the students
kick off their summer with this event and hope that all Virginia students
register as soon as possible.

Best Regards

Robert E. Parsons Jr.

President, Richmond Chapter

President, Virginia Association of Blind Students

Randolph Macon College '18

Phone: 804 200 3275 <(804)%20200-3275>

"Without struggle, there is no progress." -Frederick Douglass