[Nfbv-announce] Project RISE Update | State-Wide Mentors Needed by January 1, 2019

nabs.president at gmail.com nabs.president at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 21:03:43 UTC 2018

Calling all volunteers across Virginia, who have a niche for mentoring our
youth through leading by example:

As Project RISE continues to expand across the Commonwealth, the need for
positive and successful blind role models becomes more and more apparent. As
many of you know, our Project RISE program began as just an idea, then
touched the lives of 17 Northern Virginia students in the spring of 2018,
and now developed into a state-wide program serving 32 blind and low vision
students.

While we certainly have outstanding mentors in the Northern Virginia area
catering to our monthly programming, there is a need for mentors across the
state. These volunteers will ensure our students receive consistent
education and mentorship throughout the year, rather than during the
quarterly programming. Below, you will find additional information. Please
send a brief paragraph outlining why you are interested and qualified to
serve as a mentor to Kathryn Webster (nfbprojectrise at gmail.com
<mailto:nfbprojectrise at gmail.com> ) by Tuesday, January 1, 2019.

Responsibilities & Expectations

*	This is a unpaid, volunteer position from January 15, 2019 to July
15, 2019
*	Each mentor should expect to work with 1 or 2 students between the
ages of 14 and 21, with some overlapping personal or professional interests
*	We ask that each mentor spends roughly an hour a month talking to
each of their students via telephone or in-person, except for the months
where we have state-wide programming
*	These conversations will be tailored to the individual, but the
coordinators will provide guidance to facilitate these discussions in the
most effective manner
*	Informal notes should be provided to the Program Coordinator
(Kathryn Webster) and Deputy Coordinator (Arielle Silverman) proceeding
every state-wide programming weekend, so we can assess each student's growth
in an individualized format
*	Mentors should plan to attend both state-wide weekends on January
26-27 in Arlington, VA and May 10-12 in Baltimore, MD
*	All travel, lodging, and food expenses will be provided during the
Project RISE weekends (those dates listed above)
*	If selected, mentors must sign and abide by NFBV's Code of Conduct,
as well as any other releases required by the policies set forth in the
Project RISE program
*	There are no age restrictions to serve as a mentor
*	Mentors will be selected by mid-January
*	Since this is a volunteer position, all mentors have the right to
withdraw from their role at any time

To apply, send a brief paragraph to nfbprojectrise at gmail.com
<mailto:nfbprojectrise at gmail.com> , outlining your qualifications,
interests, and anything else we should know by Tuesday, January 1, 2019.

Please email me if you have any questions (nfbprojectrise at gmail.com
<mailto:nfbprojectrise at gmail.com> ). I will be out of the country from
December 21-31, but Deputy Coordinator, Arielle Silverman, will be checking
email during my absence.

Thank you in advance for considering this incredible opportunity. I am
confident that your contribution and positive perspective will bring success
to our students.

Best,

Kathryn Webster

Program Coordinator

Project RISE

Resilience, Independence, Self-Advocacy, Employment

(203) 273-8463

nfbprojectrise at gmail.com

Kathryn C. Webster

President | National Association of Blind Students

A proud division of the National Federation of the Blind

Work: 410-417-8360

Nabs.president at gmail.com <mailto:Nabs.president at gmail.com>  |
www.nabslink.org <http://www.nabslink.org>  | @nabslink