[Nfbv-announce] Protect Independent, Private voting for the Blind

patnaude.sarah at yahoo.com patnaude.sarah at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 8 18:22:49 UTC 2018

Hi Virginia Federationists,

Our colleagues in Maryland have a challenge maintaining a private, independent vote. If we make it clear in Maryland, this can help ensure mistakes aren’t made in Virginia or elsewhere.

We have been asked if some Virginia Federationists would like to participate in an informational protest in Baltimore on June 14 to protect independent private voting. In my opinion, participating in a protest is a blast.

If interested, please reach out to Sharon directly.

nfbmd <nfbmd at earthlink.net>

The request from our NFB of ND President and the flier is below.

The NFB of Maryland is having a protest on Thursday, June 14. We are assembling at 10:30 and the protest will be over by 1. The location is South East Anchor Library, 3601 Eastern Avenue, Baltimore. The NFB of Maryland may be able to provide transportation from New Carrolton. I have a van, but I don’t know how full it will be yet. If I can’t do that, I will get you picked up at the train station. The attached flyer will explain more about the protest. Please get back to me ASAP to tell me who is coming.

Sharon Maneki, President

410-715-9596

nfbmd <nfbmd at earthlink.net>

The details are provided below.

INFORMATIONAL PROTEST

My vote is not private or secret!

My differently shaped ballot is easy to spot!

JOIN US:

Thursday, June 14, 2018

  Arrive 10:30 am and Depart 1:00 pm

Southeast Anchor Library

3601 Eastern Avenue, Baltimore, MD

Ballot marking devices (BMD) allow people with disabilities to vote privately and independently, but the

ballot they produce is substantially different

than the one used by all other voters!

The State Board of Elections is segregating the disability vote!

The State Board of Elections (SBE) only requires that at least 2 people use the BMD at each precinct

2 IS NOT ENOUGH!!!

If only people with disabilities request to use the BMD, then

our vote is not private or secret!

The Solution is Simple:

The State Board of Elections must require that at least 30 people (with and without disabilities) use the BMD per precinct

Tell the SBE not to segregate the disability vote!

Request to use the BMD when you vote!

Tracy Soforenko

President, National Federation of the Blind of Virginia

202 285-4595

Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com

www.nfb.org

www.nfbv.org

National Federation of the Blind. Live the Life You Want