[NFBV-Announce] Deadline Approaching: Join Us for our first NFB of Virginia Cooking Class - Saturday, April 3 over Zoom

tracy.soforenko at gmail.com tracy.soforenko at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 02:20:34 UTC 2021

Sure, you intended to sign up for our awesome cooking class but life got in
the way. Don't you deserve a great meal made by you?

The individuals who signed up for the NFB of Virginia pilot Zoom cooking
class received the recipe and detailed instructions for this free pilot
class. They will be prepared to make a fine meal with all the ingredients
and useful shortcuts. If you delay or forget to sign up, you will be
wondering what is that mystery leftover in your refrigerator. What is
holding you back?

Please join Sandy and Tracy for this interactive cooking class as we share
techniques and a few laughs. At the end, you will have a delicious meal and
we believe you will want to make it again at your next dinner party.

While the state slogan was "Virginia is For Lovers,", we believe that
Virginia is also for great dining.

We recognize that we need more hands-on activities that bring us together
and have us learn something fun and useful. We are starting a cooking series
and we would like you to participate in our initial pilot cooking class. If
the initial class is successful, we plan to charge a fee for subsequent
classes with proceeds going to the chapters or divisions who organize the
classes. We recognize that fundraising for chapters is difficult, so we are
eager to provide a means to help our chapters succeed.

Please note:

Our recipe for the first class is Pesto Tilapia. Tilapia is a very mild
fish. This is one of Tracy's favorite recipes because it yields a beautiful,
gourmet meal that is easy enough for beginning cooks and is incredibly
healthy.

When you register for the class online, you will receive the recipe with a
list of ingredients and the Zoom link for participation. It will be your
responsibility to acquire these ingredients shortly before our April 3
class. Registration closes April 2.

Like any great interactive cooking show, you will be able to both listen and
watch Sandy and tracy making the meal. We will be taking questions via chat
and addressing questions from raised hands in Zoom.  We will be focusing on
the alternative techniques used by blind cooks, but the recipe and the class
is for blind and sighted participants.

We really hope you will acquire the ingredients in advance, get everything
ready and prepped in your kitchen, and make the meal in your own home
alongside us.

The meal requires 30 minutes of preparation and 40 minutes of cook time.

However, with questions from participants, we suspect that the preparation
during this interactive class will take 1 hour.

For those who can turn on their camera, we will have some helpers who can
provide visual guidance for those with questions. If we have a tremendous
response, we might use break out rooms to provide a more interactive
experience.

The Details and Sign Up:

Date/Time:                                     Saturday, April 3 at 4:30 PM

Deadline for Registration:            April 2

Cost:                                                Free for this initial
class

Class Instructors:                           Sandy Halverson and Tracy
Soforenko

Registration Link:

http://nfbv.org/cooking

We think this class will be fun and educational. Expect bad puns, practical
advice on cooking and a great meal that you will be proud you made.

Tracy Soforenko

President, National Federation of the Blind of Virginia

202 285-4595

Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com <mailto:Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com>

www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org>

www.nfbv.org <http://www.nfbv.org>

National Federation of the Blind. Live the Life You Want