[nfbwatlk] Art for Blind People

Kay Burrows theladykathryn4one at juno.com
Thu Dec 11 19:00:52 UTC 2008

Noel's recent post reminded me about getting art for blind people in the DSB
office building.  They had a contest and it appears that the winner of their
art for blind people piece was hung upstairs at the back of the building
where very few consumers have the ability to access it.

In just the past week the building were I live, which is a multi-income
building.  I can't tell you its' exact description, but the vast majority of
us have some sort of rent subsidy it was built by King County and managed by
a private company, new art was hung.  In other words there was a budget for
art, but not a huge one.  I could hardly believe it; they had hung small
sculptures in the foyers across from the elevators.  I checked out all the
floors, and each has its' own sculpture.  It is totally accessible, tactile
metal sculptures that are smooth to the touch and pleasing to the eye.  It
is art for blind people.  When I thanked management for providing art that
is accessible to blind people, they were confused at first, but then a light
bulb slowly lit above their heads.  Another great example of art for blind
people is at the back of the lobby on the Far East wall of the Metro Transit
building on 2nd and Jackson St. in down town Seattle.

I am sure the sculptures in my building are not super expensive or they
would not be on every floor.  The art at 2nd and Jackson might be.

I feel that the public does not realize that blind people can enjoy art in
public places as much as anyone else if it is accessible, but no accessible
art for blind people in inexcusable.  Prejudice and ignorance keep it from
the blind population in the general public, but what is the reason at DSB?