[nfbwatlk] our sacred trust

carl jarvis carjar at olypen.com
Sat Nov 1 16:01:38 UTC 2008

Sometimes I fear that our primary disability is not blindness, nor even the attitudes about blindness, but rather, our eagerness to trust without question.
Take Governor Sarah Palin, a pretty, fresh young face on the political scene.  How many of us, outside Alaska, ever heard the name Palin prior to her being embraced by Senator McCain and the Republican Party?  In fact, how many Alaskans actually know who their governor is?  I mean, has she really been in office long enough to have established a track record?  But because this virtual stranger has a disabled child, she is acclaimed as an expert on the subject of special needs.
Over the many years that I have been active in the struggle for equality for the blind, I have met, or heard countless politicians declare their, "understanding of you people".
Many of them had a disabled family member or knew a neighbor with one.  How many oily hands have grabbed my hand as I was being told, "You people are so deserving".  But when the particular bill I was promoting came to the floor, Bam!  My new friend voted it down!
And by the way, don't waste your time going back and trying to find out why he/she voted against your bill.  You'll just wind up covered with oil.
Now don't get me wrong.  I'm not suggesting that we blind people quit trusting folks.  What I'm asking is that we use a little common sense before we just fling out the welcome mat.
Sometimes we are just too willing to allow ourselves to be taken in.  But if we are going to move forward as equal partners in this nation, we need to always ask the hard questions, and expect straight, honest answers before placing our trust in anyone.
We need to look at our trust as sacred.  A rare gift.  Not to be given lightly.

Carl Jarvis