[nfbwatlk] FW: Eyman's ReallyBadIdea

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 21 22:47:54 UTC 2009

  _____

From: Aaron Ostrom, Fuse Washington [mailto:info at fusewashington.org]
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2009 4:23 PM
To: LAWNMOWER84 at HOTMAIL.COM
Subject: Eyman's ReallyBadIdea

Get the Facts on Eyman's newest bad idea: I-1033

<http://www.fusewashington.org/page/m2/259887bb/d21f0e/2a77c630/4a640ffe/479
970041/VEsH/> Forward to Your Friends

There are bad ideas and there are ReallyBadIdeasTM.   Bad ideas are unwise
and harmful.  ReallyBadIdeas1  are broadly and comprehensively destructive.

We want to give you an important heads up about Tim Eyman's latest
ReallyBadIdea  -- Initiative 1033. I-1033 will be on your the November
ballot, and would make the state's current budget crisis a permanent
fixture, forcing much deeper cuts in education and children's health care
programs and locking them in for years.2

Initiative 1033 is based on a similar measure that passed years ago in
Colorado called "TABOR." It led to deep cuts to public schools, roads and
highways and children's health care. In fact, it did so much damage to
Colorado's economy that in 2005, Coloradans voted to suspend the law.

The ReallyGoodNews is that even though I-1033 sounds alright on the surface,
most people are inclined to vote against it once they learn a little bit
about what it will really do.3  And that makes you a VeryImportantPerson in
the fight to beat I-1033.

You can help us inoculate Washington against Eyman's TABOR Plan and prevent
a disaster for education, healthcare, and other vital services by making
sure five of your friends have the basic facts about I-1033. We have to
start now to win in November. Please click on the link below to get the
facts on I-1033 and forward them to five of your friends.
<http://www.fusewashington.org/page/m2/259887bb/d21f0e/2a77c630/4a640ffe/479
970041/VEsE/>

http://www.fusewashington.org/page/s/1033pledge

Already this year we've slashed school funding by $1.5 billion and as many
as 3,000 teachers and education employees are facing layoffs.  The Eyman
TABOR plan will take even more resources away from Washington's classrooms -
and Washington's kids.

Despite a growing senior population, funding for nursing homes, in-home care
and adult day health services are being cut and 40,000 Washington residents
of all ages may lose their Basic Health Plan coverage. Eyman's TABOR plan
will make our health care crisis more severe.

The national recession has already cost our state thousands of jobs and
forced billions in cutbacks to important local services, like education and
health care. I-1033's flawed formula will force deeper cuts and lock them in
for years.

Although I-1033 sounds helpful on the surface, we know that as soon as we
tell people what I-1033 will really do, they'll vote NO. And that's where we
need your help.

Plan to vote no on I-1033 and educate your friends so they do the same:

http://www.fusewashington.org/page/s/1033pledge
<http://www.fusewashington.org/page/m2/259887bb/d21f0e/2a77c630/4a640ffe/479
970041/VEsF/>

Times are tough, but let's not make them worse. Help educate your friends,
family and colleagues about this ReallyBadIdea.

Thanks for all you do,
Aaron Ostrom

1 Here are some other examples of bad ideas :)
<http://www.fusewashington.org/page/m2/259887bb/d21f0e/2a77c630/4a640fff/479
970041/VEsC/>

2 The State Office of Financial Management has estimated that Eyman's TABOR
plan will cost the State $6 billion by 2015, and will cost local governments
another $2.8 billion in the same time frame.

3 Statewide survey of 600 voters, Kiley and Co., July 2009

<http://www.fusewashington.org/page/m2/259887bb/d21f0e/2a77c630/4a640ff8/479
970041/VEsD/>

www.fusewashington.org
<http://www.fusewashington.org/page/m2/259887bb/d21f0e/2a77c630/4a640ff8/479
970041/VEsA/>

Fuse helps you make a difference by making your voice heard on the most
important issues when the decisions are being made. Real people generating
stronger progressive leadership from elected officials -- that is the power
of Fuse.
Together for Progress
Join us at
www.fusewashington.org
<http://www.fusewashington.org/page/m2/259887bb/d21f0e/2a77c630/4a640ff8/479
970041/VEsB/>

Support our member-driven organization: Fuse depends on the support of our
members. If you'd like to support our work, you can give now at:
www.fusewashington.org/donate
<http://www.fusewashington.org/page/m2/259887bb/d21f0e/2a77c630/4a640ff9/479
970041/VEsO/>

This email was sent to: LAWNMOWER84 at HOTMAIL.COM