[nfbwatlk] Fw: Great City Event Update

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 10 07:01:37 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael McGinn
To: jacobstruiksma at gmail.com
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 6:36 PM
Subject: Great City Event Update

Dear Great City Supporters,

We are rolling into the new year, and we are developing and defining our campaigns.stay tuned for more information.

In the mean time, there are a number of events coming up that we wanted to let you know about.

Tastes of Columbia City Great City Winter Fundraiser
 hosted by Darryl Smith

Please join us for a festive evening at the Columbia City Theater while we celebrate Great City's many achievements this year!  We will be sampling appetizers and desserts from Columbia City's finest eateries and ringing in the New Year with friends from all over the city, so don't miss out! Celebrate the work of Great City while sampling appetizers and desserts from Columbia City's finest eateries.

When: Thursday, January 29th
Where:  Columbia City Theater, 4916 Rainer Ave S.
Time: 5:30-7:30

Suggested Individual Donation: Friend $100, Advocate $50, Supporter $35.

Individual and Corporate Sponsorships available
Please Contact Allison Burson at 206.905.6940 or allison.burson at greatcity.org for further information.

Streets for People Kickoff Forum
When: Thursday, February, 12th
Where: The South Lake Union Armory, 860 Terry Ave. N
Time: 5:30-7:30
Seattle Great City Initiative is excited to announce the launch of the Streets for People Campaign.  Last year's presidential election demonstrated that we are on the cusp of amazing new changes in America. The Streets For People Campaign is an effort to bring this national momentum for positive change to the local level.  The streets for people campaign will empower our community to transform Seattle's public right-of-way in 2009!

Please join us to:
-Connect with other Streets Advocates.
-Update your organizing tactics for the Age of Obama
-Learn how other communities are working together to transform their local streets.

If you want to get involved with any of our campaigns, please contact allison.burson at greatcity.org

And remember, it's your support that allows us to continue to bring you events and work on our issue priorities.  To make a contribution visit www.greatcity.org/contribute

Other Events you may be interested in include:

Resilient Cities: Responding to Peak Oil and Climate Change
Free Lecture Event with Urban Planning Expert Peter Newman

Monday, January 12, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Bertha Knight Landes Reception Room, Seattle City Hall-600 4th Avenue
Admission is free
For more information, please contact:
Rebecca Baker, rebecca.baker at seattle.gov, 206.615.1171.
Katherine Cornwell, katherine.cornwell at seattle.gov, 206.684.0806.

Cascade Bicycle Club Presents Bikes and Bridges
Tuesday, Jan. 13, 7 p.m.
Seattle REI, 222 Yale Street

Mega-projects are just over the horizon, and they will definitely affect how and where you ride. Join us at the January edition of the monthly presentation series for briefings by both the SR-520 Bridge and Viaduct project teams. They will address the bicycle and pedestrian aspects of each project, including the soon to be started South Viaduct segment.
If you ride to or from West Seattle or anywhere around the waterfront, South Lake Union, Queen Anne, Montlake or the University of Washington, you won't want to miss these presentations. This will also be a great opportunity for you to provide feedback on the numerous variants for each.

Art, Design and Sustainability: A Dialogue
January 22, 2009
11:30 am-1 pm
Olympic Sculpture Park, PACCAR Pavilion
Following last summer's event, Art and the Environment: A Dialogue, Seattle Art Museum and the Cascade Land Conservancy present the next panel discussion exploring the intersection of art, culture and the environment. How can artists and design professionals support today's cities and make them more functional, culturally rich and sustainable? What are the near-term priorities in sustainable design? What steps can be taken to support designers and businesses furthering sustainable design principles? Join us as we consider these and other questions.  Free and open to the public; limited seating is available. Register by January 21, 2009 online at seattleartmuseum.org or by contacting the SAM Box Office (boxoffice at seattleartmuseum.org or 206.654.3121).

AIA Seeking Submission for Proposals
for August/September 2009 Issue on Smart Growth
A publication of AIA Seattle

AIA Seattle's Forum magazine is seeking submission proposals for its upcoming issue on
smart growth. We welcome proposals for features (up to 2500 words) and columns (600-700
words) that address some aspect of smart growth in the Seattle metro area, Puget Sound, or
Washington state. If you have an idea for an article or column, you may
submit a brief proposal with title, one paragraph summary, estimated length, author's name
and writing sample to Isla McKetta at imcketta at aiaseattle.org by January 31st.  For more info visit http://www.aiaseattle.org/partner.