[nfbwatlk] Braille Books Needed!

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 01:26:00 UTC 2009

Greetings All,

Everyone knows by now we are celebrating as never before: The year of
Braille! At convention we will have our annual Braille Book Flea
Market. No where else can blind kids go into a "store" and browse for
books to their hearts delight, and get them shipped home to their
front doors. The room is electric with their excitement every year. I
am asking all members and friends to please help make book choices
available like never before.

Donate a new book to the flea market! You can buy a book from
National Braille Press.org or Seedlings.org and send it to the
address Peggy Chong will post in the near future. Or maybe you have
an embosser and want to make a book, we'll take that too!

Last year we had a dire need for good books for teenagers, 13-18.
Girls wanted Love Stories and Mysteries, Guys wanted Sci Fi and
action adventure. Don't forget the Classics like the Count of Monte
Cristo or The Three Musketeers or new hot ones like the Twilight
series. Nothing replaces a good ol' hard copy to curl up with and for
building reading speed. We had books for teenagers but many were very
old or the titles were more like textbook topics than leisure
reading. Not to say they were not appreciated, but I think you know
what I mean.

We will take books for any age. The touch and feel early board books
can be easily adapted by adding sticky Braille by many members. Have
it be a chapter project!

Help us make this the Best Flea Market ever by giving every kid a
great choice of new and gently used books to choose from!

Flea Market book questions should be directed to Peggy Chong at:
<mailto:peggychong at eathlink.net>peggychong at earthlink.net.

Thank you One and All!

Reading is Fundamental and Braille Readers Are Indeed Leaders!

Carrie Gilmer, President
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind
NFB National Center: 410-659-9314
Home Phone: 763-784-8590
<mailto:carrie.gilmer at gmail.com>carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
www.nfb.org/nopbc