[nfbwatlk] Competing on Terms of Equality

Thu Mar 12 15:11:25 UTC 2009

Mike,

This article particularly applies to me anyway.  I am constantly
monitoring my behavior as it relates to others, and often recognizing in
advance that I'm falling short of my own principles and expectations.
It's a constant struggle, and EVALUATION of our FEELINGS ABOUT
BLINDNESS, HENCE OUR confidence in ourselves  WHICH IS important.  No
one is perfect, and we SHOULDN'T  beat ourselves up if we sometimes
don't do what we know we can do.  But, if we keep getting up after
falling, dusting ourselves off, and starting over again to live our
philosophy, we and the world we live in will be much better for it.  I
just don't want us to use the excuse that "well, I'll do better next
time" to short change ourselves and/or other blind people.  In the
continuing era of 70 percent unemployment of the blind, I believe we
must continue to strive to demonstrate that we can and will compete on
terms of equality.

Thanks for the article.

/s/

Bennett Prows