[nfbwatlk] Fw: Personal context for braille literacy

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Fri May 8 18:13:30 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Antonio Guimaraes" <aguimaraes at nbp.org>
To: <napub at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Friday, May 08, 2009 10:25 AM
Subject: [napub] Personal context for braille literacy

Hello all,

Here is one person's personal perspective on Braille Literacy,

what is yours?

Antonio M. Guimaraes Jr.

http://www.healthnews.com/blogs/nicki/natural-health/a-personal-context-braille-literacy-3003.html

A Personal Context for Braille Literacy
By: Nicki
Published: Friday, 24 April 2009

Over the last few months, as the NFB's efforts to increase awareness
concerning the necessity of greater Braille literacy rates, I have given
you a number of statistics about Braille literacy. I have told you, in a
very factual and analytical manner, that 80 percent of the blind who are
employed know Braille; I have also stated that Braille is crucial,
because proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation cannot be learned
through audio. However, I have never given you a personal context for
literacy: in other words, why is this cause so crucial to me, aside from
the fact that I am a blind person.

I opened a book on the first day of kindergarten, and sank into its
pages.  I remember the story very clearly: Pam and Pat went out into
Pam's backyard and made mud pies. Then, they made Pam's little brother
taste the mud pies to ensure that they were just right, perfect for
feeding their dolls at teatime.  Unfortunately, Pam's brother got sick
from eating all the mud, and Pam and Pat were sent to their rooms
without being able to play. From this simplistic story, I devoured the
school library. By the time I was in fourth grade, my school had to
order books from the library for the blind that were for eighth graders.

Another event occurred in fourth grade that is noteworthy in the context
of this discussion. Each semester, we would be given a Star Test to
determine our writing and reading levels. By my first semester of fourth
grade, I was exempt from the Star Test because my spelling,
comprehension, and grammar were on the level of a college freshman. I
did not acquire those skills through audio books; I acquired them
through the two precious Braille books I was allowed to pick from my
personal stacks at the library each week. I can't even describe the
feeling of opening a book cover, carefully scanning the book jacket to
see if this would pique my interest (I only got to remove two every week
after all, so I had to select carefully to avoid being bored) and
feeling that first flutter of excitement as my fingers made out the
first word and I wondered what sort of new world I would be exploring.

Now, instead of being bound, these books come in a digital format.
However, they have still been translated into Braille so I can read them
with a Braille device. The device I use called a Book Port does utilize
speech.  However, unlike an audio book, there are functions through
which I can move from letter to letter or paragraph by paragraph.
Through these functions, I not only learn how to spell a new word almost
every day; I learn narrative structure, crucial things like when to end
a paragraph or sentence.

It is truly sad to me when I see a blind person who has learned
primarily from audio; they have no context for separating paragraphs, no
understanding that ideas must be segregated. By the first sentence of
the paragraph, the prospective reader will know what to expect from that
paragraph. However, because audio books do not delineate paragraphs, if
you are taught solely through audio, many times your writing becomes a
run-on paragraph. How should you know any better; since there are no
pauses after paragraphs, the entirety of the book is read like one long
paragraph.

The shortcomings of audio came home to me yet again as I was writing a
letter. In the letter, I needed to include my phone number. As almost
everyone knows, a phone number, when written, especially in a
professional capacity is represented as: (area code) first three
digit-last four digits.  However, without seeing this representation,
based on an audio book, this is its seeming representation:
areacodefirstthreedigitslastfourdigits. In none of the audio books I
have utilized is its proper representation stated. I learned its proper
representation in fourth grade when I was given the number for the
Library for the Blind in Braille and first allowed (with supervision) to
order my own books using a card catalogue we had been sent the week
before.

So, if you sometimes wonder why I write numerous articles about this
subject and why it is a cause I so avidly support, I hope this article
gives you a better understanding of it. Audio is a wonderful tool, but
there are so many small things, like the proper way to write a phone
number, which sighted children learn at a young age that can only be
learned through Braille. A person on an audio book, for instance, even a
textbook, is not going to stop and explain that cough is spelled with a
gh instead of two ffs at the end, and it is small things, things that
seem almost inconsequential at first, that will keep us from competing
on a level playing field with the sighted if we allow them too.