[nfbwatlk] Braille Readers are Leaders BRL

dmackenstadt at comcast.net dmackenstadt at comcast.net
Thu Oct 8 14:48:36 UTC 2009

Our braille literacy campaign is gearing up for the kickoff on November 14, 11:00 am to 2:00 pm at the Washington Talking Book and Braille Library. The kickoff will include a braille carnival, authors talking about their books, a braille book flea mart and hearing from braille readers about what braille means to them. As blind people the need is great to work towards improving braille instruction for blind students and to express the positive aspects of being literate with the use of braille. The National Federation of the Blind has promoted the Braille Readers are Leaders Program for many years. This year the NFB of Washington is putting forward, with our partners, the Department of Services for the Blind, the Lighthouse for the Blind and the Washington State School for the Blind, an effort to increase the participation of Washingtonians in this program. As blind people we bring a unique experience to emerging or proficient braille readers about using braille. Experience shows that through mentoring experiences learning is enhanced. The primary component of this effort will be the use of braille readers as positive role models for contest participants.

We are in need of help with this effort. At the November 14 event there will be a need for individuals to help with the braille carnival. There is a need for braille enthusiasts to partner with participants to encourage their efforts throughout the term of the contest. The Contest is from November 4 through January 4, Louis Braille's birthday. You will notice that I say braille enthusiasts. Even if you are not a proficient braille user but want to encourage others please feel free to help. This is not just an NFB program but a program for blind Washingtonians. The only requirements are that you be a braille user, you have a positive philosophy about braille and that you are willing to spend the time to assist others in their effort to become braille readers. The Braille Readers are Leaders Contest is inclusive of new braille users, braille users who may have other challenges which make reading difficult and participants who may want to work as a team. Information about the particulars of the program are available at http://www.nfb.org/nfb/NOPBC_Braille_Readers_Are_Leaders.asp?SnID=59984712 .

In addition, we will be holding a braille book flea mart. We have had such an event at National Convention for years. This will give individuals an opportunity to peruse loved but slightly used braille books and to take them home for their reading pleasure. If you have such books please contact us so we can see how we can get them to the library for the flea mart.

For information or to volunteer please contact Denise Mackenstadt at (206)419-9555 or at cane.travel at gmail.com or Kris Colcock at (206)854-3025 or at tishgifts at gmail.com. Please help us change what it means to be blind !