[nfbwatlk] FW: Councilmember Bob Ferguson's E-News - October 2009 (http://your.kingcounty.gov/mkcc/members/ferguson/news/09_OctEnewsoutlook.htm)

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 30 19:34:06 UTC 2009

  _____

From: Bob Ferguson [mailto:District1Enews at KingCounty.gov]
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2009 10:07 AM
To: Jacob Struiksma
Subject: Councilmember Bob Ferguson's E-News - October 2009
(http://your.kingcounty.gov/mkcc/members/ferguson/news/09_OctEnewsoutlook.ht
m)

King County Councilmember
Bob Ferguson
District 1

In the October 2009 issue:

*	2010 budget session underway

*	Public disclosure reform  <> adopted

*	Successful statewide conference on Mental  <> Illness and Chemical
Dependency

*	In the district <>

*	Reminder to vote in upcoming  <> election

Watch my video introduction:
<http://your.kingcounty.gov/mkcc/members/ferguson/news/09_OctEnews.htm>
Video Screen
Video transcript available upon request <mailto:bob.ferguson at kingcounty.gov>
.

Like the video format? I invite you to check out all my YouTube
<http://www.youtube.com/user/kingcountydistrict1> videos.

2010 budget session underway

The Council recently received Executive Triplett's proposed 2010
<http://www.kingcounty.gov/operations/Budget/2010ExecutiveProposed.aspx>
budget. The county faces a $56 million shortfall in its $621 million general
fund, which pays for the day-to-day operations of King County government,
including the sheriff, courts, jails, public health, and elections. Read
<http://your.kingcounty.gov/mkcc/members/ferguson/news/09_OctEnews.htm#story
1> more...

 <http://king.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?publish_id=261> Attorney General
Rob McKenna testifying about King County's public disclosure legislation.

Public disclosure reform adopted

In May
<http://your.kingcounty.gov/mkcc/members/ferguson/news/09_JuneEnews.htm> , I
co-sponsored legislation with Councilmember Reagan
<http://www.kingcounty.gov/Dunn.aspx> Dunn to reform the County's public
records disclosure process. This legislation was introduced in the wake of
two high-profile public records cases involving King County. Read
<http://your.kingcounty.gov/mkcc/members/ferguson/news/09_OctEnews.htm#story
2> more...

Successful statewide conference on Mental Illness and Chemical Dependency

In September, I co-hosted a statewide conference with the Washington State
Association  <http://www.wacounties.org/wsac/> of Counties in Ellensburg to
discuss the role of counties in addressing mental health and substance abuse
needs. The conference provided an opportunity for policy makers, service
providers, and other officials from across Washington to proactively discuss
methods of addressing these issues within their communities.

A more complete recap and conference materials are available here
<http://www.kingcounty.gov/Ferguson/conference.aspx> .

In the district

New ride for Northshore Senior Center

 <http://king.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?publish_id=261> Attorney General
Rob McKenna testifying about King County's public disclosure legislation.

Earlier this year, I secured retired Metro Vanpool vans for the Northshore
Senior  <http://www.northshoreseniorcenter.org/> Center in Bothell and other
deserving local organizations. I recently visited the center to meet with
staff and local seniors. They are getting good use out of the van providing
field trips that promote lifelong learning and socialization for seniors.
Read
<http://your.kingcounty.gov/mkcc/members/ferguson/news/09_OctEnews.htm#story
4> more...

Northgate Park groundbreaking

 <http://king.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?publish_id=261> Attorney General
Rob McKenna testifying about King County's public disclosure legislation.

Last month, I had the privilege of attending the groundbreaking of a new
urban park in Seattle's Northgate neighborhood. Hubbard
<http://seattle.gov/parks/projects/hubbard_homestead/> Homestead Park will
be developed at the intersection of 5th Avenue Northeast and Northeast 112th
Street, just north of Target and Northgate Mall. The new park is replacing a
former King County Metro Park and Ride lot with 3.73 acres of green space.
Read
<http://your.kingcounty.gov/mkcc/members/ferguson/news/09_OctEnews.htm#story
4> more...

Broadview Community Council meeting

I recently attended the Broadview Community Council meeting to discuss local
issues. I always enjoy meeting directly with community members and learning
about the issues that matter to them. For more information about the
Broadview Community Council, please visit their website
<http://www.broadviewcc.info/> .

Shoreline City Hall grand opening

I attended the dedication ceremony of Shoreline's new City Hall. Building
and owning its own City Hall is a milestone for the city of Shoreline, and
is the realization of a long-standing community vision. Read
<http://your.kingcounty.gov/mkcc/members/ferguson/news/09_OctEnews.htm#story
4> more...

Reminder to vote in upcoming election
<http://www.kingcounty.gov/elections.aspx>
<http://www.kingcounty.gov/elections.aspx> Vote Nov 3
<http://www.kingcounty.gov/elections.aspx>

Please remember that the November 3 general election is being conducted
entirely by mail. See the King County
<http://www.kingcounty.gov/elections.aspx> Elections website for more
information about accessible voting center and ballot drop box locations.
Ballot drop boxes will close at 8:00 p.m. on Election Day.

  _____

About my E-Newsletter

Councilmember Bob Ferguson on the Web: www.kingcounty.gov/ferguson

I hope you enjoy my updates! Please review my recent e-newsletters
<http://www.kingcounty.gov/Ferguson/Newsletters.aspx> .

Click here to remove
<mailto:fergusonenews at kingcounty.gov?subject=Unsubscribe>  yourself from my
e-newsletter list.

Click here to subscribe
<mailto:fergusonenews at kingcounty.gov?subject=Subscribe>  to my e-newsletter.

If you have any questions or comments, please email me at
bob.ferguson at kingcounty.gov.

  _____

Phone: (206) 296-1001 | Fax: (206) 296-0198 | TTY/TDD: (206) 296-1024 | Toll
Free: (800) 325-6165
Mailing Address: King County Courthouse, 516 Third Avenue, Room 1200,
Seattle, WA 98104-3272