[nfbwatlk] Mike is right and more

Robert Sellers robertsellers500 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 6 08:00:35 UTC 2010

Mike, is quite correct that the "the movement is bigger than any one of us".
I'd like to  take the opportunity to share some history, from the 1970's and
part of the 1980's, as to how that concept was used against the federation,
how it was destructive to the NFB and the positive results that came from
those experiences. These  experiences are only from the State of Washington,
as I saw and lived through it in the 1970's and 1980's.

Under Dr. Jurnigan's strong leadership, the NFB exploded onto  America's
scene with excitement, desires and expectations on our way to first classs
citizenship.  We were young, full of energy and willing to go and do
anything for the 'cause'. Without that we would have never accomplished what
we did in the 1970's. Dr Jurnigan was like a magnet in  making us believe in
the movement and philosophy. He could do no wrong. Looking back, I can see
how our excitement probably put blinders on us and the indiscretions that
came about was either not notice or ignored. A differing opinions was often
thought to be  an attack on the leadership, not considered or believed to be
anti-movement. Our actions  were considerd militant, obnoxious and and not
caring about the individual. The ACB   exploited the perceived attitude of
not caring about the individual, not  takingcriticism or differing opinions
as a way of creating disharmony in the NFB and tried to recruit   members,
and often did,  from individuals who felt they had been rejected or ignored.
This only added proof to us that, that person wasn't a real Federationis and
the 'movement is bigger than the individual'. Looking back, it is easy to
see how insentitive that appears. That was  prior to political crrectness
times.

Here is an example of how the attitude of 'the movement is bigger than the
individual" was destructive to the NFB. As  the State of Washington,
progressed through the 1970's, we became one of the strongest NFB
affiliates. The There were several accomplishments, such as, the jury bill,
insurance bill, and especially a separate commission for the blind (a 7 year
fight in the legislature). In the early 1970's, from outside the state,  we
attracted some dynamic and strong leaders, with their own agenda, unknown to
the rank and file. I'm still not sure if they came with  that agenda or
developed it through the 1970's. But, we became strong and united.  We had
over 200 members and at our state convention banquet in 1977 we had 177
attendees. At the national convention, that same year, if I recall, the NFB
of Washinton  had 122 attendees.

As I noted,  those who came earlier  from the outside had entrenched
themselves as 'leaders' although not elected, and influenced the attitude of
our state affiliate. A spin off of this attitude was, the movement is bigger
than the individual,  we all had to be good little sheep and follow or be
thrown under the bus. If not followed, the  consequences were not pretty for
that person's life. By being 'good little sheep'; not doubting,  questioning
or opposing our course of events or  leaders, we all went over the cliff
together and destroyed one of the strongest NFB State affiliates. That's
when I vowed never to  be a sheep and to speak up, express my opinion about
concepts, actions and policies that I thought were detrimental to our
members or chapter.

The late 1970's and early 1980's, turmoil existed in other states. I believe
from those  challenges, by the mid-1980's, the movement became a gentler,
more sensitive organization  and individual, families and kids took on a
more important part of the Federation and we started to meld into a more
cohesive family unit. All thatt without sacrificing our principles, goals or
determination.

When Dr Maurer was at our State convention a couple of years ago or so, he
said it the best. To paraphrase, he said, the organization is made up of
people like Vince ricks and people like myself. We each have something to
give to the organization and something to receive. But we are both equally
important. I thought he deserved a standing ovation.

Bob Sellers