[nfbwatlk] I need your opinions please

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon Dec 6 01:18:24 UTC 2010

Humberto:

Several of us have written to you both on-list and off giving you general
advice on your situation.  I don't how to put this gently but you don't seem
to "get it".  So I'll write this once more.

First, NFB is *not* qualified to advise you on immigration matters.  Repeat!
NFB is *not* qualified to give you advice on immigration matters.  WE deal
*strictly * with blindness-related matters.  Repeat!  WE deal strictly with
blindness-related matters.

Second, therefore, your best best is to consult an attorney dealing with
immigration matters.  Repeat!  Your best bet is to deal with an attorney
dealing with immigration matters.  Perhaps I can ask Scott LaBarre to see if
he knows anyone in this area that fits the bill.  I do not.

Third, you would only be eligible for a NFB scholarship if you were to take
the option of going to college here in the United States or were taking part
in an exchange or visitation abroad program sponsored by a U.S. college or
university.  Therefore, a NFB scholarship would be out-of-the-question were
you to go to school in Mexico.  And, in general, NFB scholarships require
that you actually attend school (undergraduate or graduate) in the fall of
the year you received it.  So if you got a NFB scholarship in 2011, you'd
have to actually go to school here in the U.S. in the fall of 2011.
Registration here and going back to Mexico wouldn't cut it.

I know this sounds rather bleak.  I doubt immigration reform will pass
anytime soon, given the recent election.  So your best bet is to talk with
an attorney specializing in matters concerning "illegals" who wish to obtain
U.S. citizenship and/or go to school here.  The attorney may not give you a
free consultation; you may have to pay for the time.  Should this be the
case, please write to me privately at k7uij at panix.com and we'll consider
possibilities.

Mike Freeman, President
NFB of Washington