[nfbwatlk] FW: [PEDBOARD] Volunteers Needed for 2011 Citywide Pedestrian and Bicycle Counts

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 8 06:21:59 UTC 2010

Greetings,

In 2011, the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) will begin counting
pedestrians and bicyclists using the National Bicycle and Pedestrian
Documentation Project methodology, and we need your help!

This is an exciting step forward in SDOT's data collection efforts.
Following a consistent, nationally recognized methodology will improve the
quality and consistency of our data, and also increase the frequency with
which we collect this type of data.  The information we collect will
document current levels of walking and biking, help us measure our progress
towards increasing the number of people who walk and bike, and help make the
case for additional investments.  More information about the National
Bicycle and Pedestrian Documentation Project is available at
http://bikepeddocumentation.org/

SDOT has traditionally relied on volunteers to help us count pedestrians and
bicyclists, and we have been grateful for the enthusiastic participation in
the past.  With the new and improved methodology, we will need even more
volunteers than before.  We would like to recruit approximately 120 people
to assist with the quarterly counts and hope you will be one of them.

Each volunteer will be asked to:

*	Attend a short training (either in person or by viewing the training
materials on line)

*	Conduct counts for a two-hour period on a weekday or Saturday (or
both!) once per quarter, starting in January.

Counts will take place January 11-13, May 10-12, July 5-7 and September
13-15, and the Saturday preceding.  Count periods are 10 am to noon and 5 to
7 pm on weekdays and noon until 2 pm on Saturdays.

There are count locations throughout the city and we will make every effort
to match volunteers with their preferred area.

I hope you will join us for this important effort.  To volunteer, please
send an e-mail to walkandbike at seattle.gov with your name, e-mail address,
phone number, preferred neighborhood, and whether you are available weekdays
or weekends or both.

Thank you and please feel free to pass this along to others who might be
interested.

sealth2c.jpg

Brian Dougherty

Seattle Department of Transportation