[nfbwatlk] List Rules and Administrivia
k7uij at panix.com
Fri Jan 1 08:06:41 UTC 2010
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
"NFB of Washington Talk" list Rules and Administrivia
(1) As stated at
the purpose of this list is to facilitate discussion among members of the NFB of Washington and to present a means of disseminating announcements of interest to members of the NFB of Washington. There will also be occasional posts concerning issues of major importance to the blind as well as announcements concerning activities of the National Federation of the Blind.
(2) As list moderator, I take a rather broad view of the range of topics allowed on this list. In general, however, let's all try to keep discussions germane to blindness and, more specifically, to the National Federation of theBlind and/or the National Federation of the Blind of Washington. There are other mailing lists primarily designed for discussion of other topics and other aspects of blindness such as problems with the GUI Interface, diabetes, dog guide issues, etc. etc. etc. Nevertheless, discussion of such matters is definitely not prohibited as long as such discussions don't dominate the list.
(3) There are several exceptions to the "blindness-only" focus of this list. I have declared that discussions of Mexican food, the Seattle Mariners and the Seattle Seahawks are explicitly blindness-related! (huge grin)
(4) When posting messages, bear in mind that the Internet extends worldwide. While the focus of the list is matters of concern to the NFB of Washington, list messages can be read by a wider audience.
(5) The only messages which will absolutely not be tolerated are those containing personal attacks, VIRUSES OR WORMS, SPAM or blatantly anti-NFB propaganda. To those who protest that such prohibitions limit their freedom of speech, I say: (a) your Internet Service Provider never guaranteed you complete freedom of speech; (b) there are other, more appropriate lists for such material and (c) NFB resources fund this list so it is not in NFB's interest to provide a forum for messages whose purposes are inimical to those of NFB. Questions about NFB policies and procedures are welcome. However, messages designed to stir up controversy rather than to elicit information -- troll messages -- are not welcome. Persisting in posting messages in prohibited categories after being warned by the list moderator may result in temporary or permanent suspension from the list. Fortunately, we have had no such incidents.
(6) Messages sent to the list from addresses other than the one you used to subscribe to the list are held by the list software for approval by David Andrews or me. Therefore, if you want your messages to appear without delay, send them from the correct address.
(7) Although little of the material such as virus warnings, scam warnings and/or tips and feel-good ("glurge") posts that is passed around the Internet is relevant or appropriate for this list, if you *do* believe that some post you've received is so important that it warrants posting
on the list, please check with <http://www.TruthOrFiction.Com>, <http://www.snopes.com> or other similar sites to ensure that the material isn't a hoax, or, worse, itself a threat to computer security before posting.
Now that all the "heavy stuff" is out of the way, let's enjoy our list and keep it the vehicle for comradeship, fellowship, discussion and concerted action that it is.
Mike Freeman, List Moderator
More information about the NFBWATlk