[nfbwatlk] FW: footprints july: skinny roads and healthy people

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 6 01:32:33 UTC 2010

<http://img-ak.verticalresponse.com/media/3/d/5/3d5dd5b7d4/b35428fca1/7b7d02
f8e2/library/mosaic12inchcropbottom.jpg?__nocache__=1>

 <http://cts.vresp.com/c/?FeetFirst/b35428fca1/b0f2cbb355/49fa257119> Copy
of FeetFirstlogo2009 - Promoting - 80-10-100-0.jpg

July 2010

Dear Friend of Feet First,

Last month, Feet First endorsed
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?FeetFirst/b35428fca1/b0f2cbb355/e449c64b77> the
Nickerson Street Road Diet in Seattle. Road diets make streets slimmer for
cars and safer for people going by foot. I was fortunate to be able to walk
alongside bike and freight advocates and hear different points of view on a
tour organized by Seattle City Councilmember Sally Bagshaw. Walking, biking
and freight interests have much more in common than has been represented.
Let's turn our energy toward a common mission of moving people and freight
in a safe and efficient manner; we could most likely find a solution that
works for everyone. It is in all of our best interests to protect our
freight investment. When jobs can stay in our community, we put less burden
on the transportation system.  These jobs allow people to choose to walk,
bike and ride to places where they otherwise would need to drive.

The Puget Sound region is known for its fantastic neighborhoods. We are
taking advantage of these community gems by organizing neighborhood walks.
Participation in our Neighborhood Walking Ambassador program has doubled
from last year. We now have over 30 trained ambassadors. Our next training
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?FeetFirst/b35428fca1/b0f2cbb355/a350a075b0> will be
held on Tuesday, July 15 at Discovery Park--join us! Our trainings give you
resources, tools and inspiration to create walks in your neighborhood. Check
out all of the walks - we have planned.

I hope your summer is off to a great start. I look forward to seeing you at
our next quarterly Walk
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?FeetFirst/b35428fca1/b0f2cbb355/11257efe12> & Talk
led by Seattle City Councilmember Tom Rasmussen on Tuesday, August 31 from
6pm-8pm in West Seattle, at a neighborhood walk or at an upcoming World
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?FeetFirst/b35428fca1/b0f2cbb355/8dd5944f67> Cup
event. Feet First staff will predict the winning team based on how their
country scores for walkability; given feet are used for soccer we believe
the more you walk the better you play!

Your membership
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?FeetFirst/b35428fca1/b0f2cbb355/7558c0c8f6> for
just $30 is priceless (and you get discounts on our walks and events) plus,
as an extra bonus you will be helping us advocate for healthy places for
people to walk.

Sincerely yours,

 lisa.gif
<http://img-ak.verticalresponse.com/media/3/d/5/3d5dd5b7d4/b35428fca1/7b7d02
f8e2/library/lisa.gif?__nocache__=1>
Lisa Quinn
Executive Director
lisa at feetfirst.info

  _____

our footprint

Walking is an essential part of our everyday lives.  Walking connects us to
people, places and to other forms of transportation.  We are all
pedestrians. Over the years, we have worked with the Washington Department
of Transportation at a statewide level to support the Safe Routes to School
program and we partnered with Seattle Department of Transportation on
pedestrian safety projects. We understand the importance of shared values to
support more people walking every day for their health, transportation,
environment, community and pleasure. We are pleased to announce this
landmark
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?FeetFirst/b35428fca1/b0f2cbb355/a3afcced03>
statement from the U.S. Department of Transportation signaled a new and
strengthened relationship between the federal government and bicycle and
pedestrian advocacy organizations. The statement also encouraged local
governments, professional associations, public transportation agencies, and
other government agencies to adopt similar policy statements on bicycle and
pedestrian accommodation.

  _____

make a difference

The students of McGilvra Elementary School selected Feet First to receive
funding from their Penny Harvest program at their year-end assembly. The
children collected pennies to distribute to local area non-profits
throughout the year.  The Feet First Chicken went to school and shared with
the students the importance of walkable communities. Feet First is honored
to have received this award from young people who care about our community.
Thank you, McGilvra students!

  _____

Cut it out and join the City of Seattle's Walk,
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?FeetFirst/b35428fca1/b0f2cbb355/aed29e2934> Bike
and Ride Challenge. When you choose walk, bike, ride a little bit more to
work, shopping and recreation and cut two drive alone trips a week, you'll
be rewarded. This campaign is just through July, so sign up today!

  _____

safe routes to school update

Concord International Elementary School: South Park Neighborhood, Seattle
South Park's Other Bridge..."The Little Bridge"

With the South Park Bridge making headlines, we are all aware of the
importance a bridge can have in creating connections and vitalizing
communities. Did you know that a different South Park Bridge is also in
neglect? South Park's "Little Bridge," the pedestrian bridge that crosses
SR99 at S. Henderson Street, also needs our attention.  Rather than serving
freight and cars, this bridge provides school children and other pedestrians
a place to walk from the business and residential neighborhood to the east
to Concord International Elementary and Marra Farm to the west.
Unfortunately, the bridge is littered with broken glass and garbage. The
chain link fence that lines the bridge is rusty and torn in parts.  The
state of the bridge is physically hazardous, unpleasant and a threat to
public safety. As part of the Safe Routes to School program at Concord
International Elementary School, Feet First and Sea Mar Community Health
have teamed up to save South Park's "Little Bridge" and make it safer for
people to walk.

We have received grants from the Seattle Department of Transportation, the
National Center for Safe Routes to School and the Seattle Foundation's
Neighborhood to Neighborhood program. We have hired a local community artist
to help us with this project. We'll be hosting a community painting party
later this summer and a grand opening celebration in September 2010.

If you have any questions about the project or contributing to this effort,
please contact Veronica Conti, Feet First Community Organizer by emailing
veronica at feetfirst.info or calling (206) 652-2310.

  _____

story from the sole
Written by Marcie Bain, Feet First volunteer

 marnie's dad
<http://img-ak.verticalresponse.com/media/3/d/5/3d5dd5b7d4/b35428fca1/7b7d02
f8e2/library/marnie's%20dad.JPG?__nocache__=1>

The morning is bright and cool when my father William leaves
his home in the suburbs of Bellevue.

    Briefcase loaded and sneakers laced, he begins the half-hour walk to his
downtown Bellevue office.         Though he's a little late today, he can't
help but to appreciate the neighborhood's sights and sounds:
    the maple trees, clothed in new leaves and birdsong; the old ponies,
languid in their white-fenced         pasture; the line of houses, blinds
parting to take in the day. A yellow blur flies by, and my dad
recognizes the bicyclist who also travels this route every day, part of the
neighborhood clockwork. The     buildings get taller as he reaches the city.
He crosses a few increasingly-busy streets, cuts through the     bus
terminal, passes a patisserie, at last reaching his office door.  His face
is flushed, his mind is             clear. He feels good.

    My dad runs a small business, a software company. Until last year, his
comfortable niche in this             flourishing industry, along with
loving support from me and my mom, were sources of great
contentment. But his visit to the doctor that year foretold of potential
health problems unless he             improved his lifestyle. As a man in
his mid-fifties, it was especially important that he lowered his
weight and cholesterol.  The doctor's number one recommendation: exercise.
Walking to and from         work coincided with my dad's desire to reduce
his carbon emissions by driving less; thus, his life on         foot began.
Daily walking began as a self-conducted experiment, my dad says, but it soon
became         much more. He was pleasantly surprised that a relaxing,
low-impact activity like walking could help him lose and keep off thirty
pounds, and his health wasn't all that benefited. His walks give him
peaceful, quiet time to think about complex work-related problems without
the usual distractions. Some weekends, my mom and I accompany him to the
park and back; we all look forward to spending these afternoons together as
a family. If he didn't walk regularly, my dad tells me, he would have gone
crazy long ago.

When the hectic workday ends, my dad starts the walk home, the sunset
painted on all the buildings, which now drape the Bellevue streets with
their         shadows. He is again at peace-almost. He has to watch out for
cars that disregard traffic laws, a growing problem downtown. Remembering
the times     he's almost been run over crossing the street, he wishes these
laws were enforced more strictly. What he really wants, though, are more
pedestrian         walkways away from the streets. Bellevue has a few of
these, but my dad thinks that having more of them would make for a more
pedestrian-friendly     city. If the sidewalks we have are well-maintained,
he adds, it would also encourage people to walk. Nevertheless, no current
detraction has been             enough to stop my dad from walking, a simple
activity that has become one of the most joyful parts of his life.

  _____

calendar of events in july

 <http://cts.vresp.com/c/?FeetFirst/b35428fca1/b0f2cbb355/b18cfbfdf0> World
Cup--find out which country will win based on their walkability!
Tuesday, July 7th & Wednesday, July 8th
11:30am-1:30pm

Nature  <http://cts.vresp.com/c/?FeetFirst/b35428fca1/b0f2cbb355/2ab4259e5a>
Walk In Ravenna
Tuesday, July 13th
6pm-7:30pm
 <http://cts.vresp.com/c/?FeetFirst/b35428fca1/b0f2cbb355/a90f32ad5f>
Neighborhood Walking Ambassador Training
Thursday, July 15th
6pm-9pm

Exploring
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?FeetFirst/b35428fca1/b0f2cbb355/b8f0d8064f>
Bellevue on Foot
Saturday, July 17th
8:30am-10am

Streets for All Seattle Kick-Off
Thursday, July 29th
Nectar in Fremont 412 N. 36th Street, 98107

Doors open at 7pm, program at 8pm and music starting at 9pm
For more information contact Craig Benjamin at craig.benjamin at sierraclub.org

PARK(ing)
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?FeetFirst/b35428fca1/b0f2cbb355/fb83a7ceb8> Day
Friday, September 17th
All over the world!

  _____

get involved

Feet First wants to be friends with you! Facebook
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?FeetFirst/b35428fca1/b0f2cbb355/92744a3987/#!/group
.php?gid=115603278454190&ref=ts>  is an easy way to keep track of all our
updates on our Feet First Blog and get a heads-up about our neighborhood
walks, crosswalk actions, safe routes to school events and other ways to get
involved an support walkable communities.

Call for Interns and Volunteers
We are seeking talented and motivated interns and volunteers to participate
in policy, research, public programming and marketing, outreach and
membership recruitment efforts.

Video production intern (5-15 hrs/wk, undergrad or grad student in video
production or related field) Set up a system and style for recording,
producing and publishing Walk & Talks, PARK(ing) Day and 'What If'
documentaries for our membership series.

Feet First Agenda Awards volunteers (5-7 hrs/day of) Work with a great team
of volunteers to put on this major event in October. Get a view into the
planning and strategy that goes into producing an event.

Urban Planning in West Seattle (5 hrs/wk) Work with a team to finalizing
designs for wayfinding in West Seattle. You will work with a local artist to
identify locations and points of interests for the human scale structures to
support going by foot.

To apply for the positions listed above, send your cover letter and resume
to Ayaka Haga, Event Coordinator ayaka at feetfirst.info

  _____

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please reply to this message
with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line or simply click on the following
link: Unsubscribe <http://cts.vresp.com/u?b35428fca1/b0f2cbb355/mlpftw>

Click
<http://oi.vresp.com/f2af/v4/send_to_friend.html?ch=b35428fca1&lid=146750439
8&ldh=b0f2cbb355> here to forward this email to a friend

Feet First
314 1st Avenue South
Seattle, Washington 98104

Read <http://www.verticalresponse.com/content/pm_policy.html>  the
VerticalResponse marketing policy.

 <http://www.verticalresponse.com/landing/non-profits/?np/b35428fca1>
Non-Profits Email Free with VerticalResponse!
  <http://cts.vresp.com/o.gif?b35428fca1/b0f2cbb355/mlpftw>